Betting on the impossible

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
craignmoss

I’ve just watched both now, crazy scenes! Thanks Dallas, your explanation makes perfect sense.
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:57 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:51 pm
Not up to date with horse racing but I believe you can still remount in Ireland but not in GB.

Kauto Star fell in a 3-runner novices' chase at Exeter, remounted and almost won. But he was badly injured after and wasn't seen again for getting on to a year. I don't think it's right that a jockey can suddenly take on the duties of a vet when he might be concussed himself and has a vested interest in the race. :)
Remember that like yesterday

https://youtu.be/2cJ9Vn2F-R8
I wasn't following racing between about 2002 and 2008 so never saw the race, but it was draw-dropping enough just reading the RP commentry!
https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/res ... ss-country

The above is my fave race of all time as I backed the winner with a hefty sum!

If you watch the race, I think Rivage Dor got lucky but travelled sublime!
Geordie

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Dallas wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm
craignmoss wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm
Has anyone else noticed that some markets stay live even if they can’t win? So for example, you can bet on 0-0 in football after a goal has been scored. I guess people are chancing their arm that someone doesn’t know what they are doing and click the wrong button by mistake.

I don’t have a strategy that this could impact but I don’t understand why Betfair don’t shut the market down like they do with under / over?
They close the over/unders because those markets are finished once that number of goals have been scored so they can be closed and settled

In the CS market after a goal has been scored 0-0 may not be possible anymore but all the other scores lines are so they couldn't close and settle it and they don't remove individual selections that can no longer win in any market ie, if a horse falls its still possible to place bets on it.
A horse can still win if it falls. No stopping a jockey getting back on it’s ride.

It’s happened.
I'm sure I saw Norman Wisdom fall off a horse and get back on it to win years ago :D
Derek27

Geordie wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Dallas wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm

They close the over/unders because those markets are finished once that number of goals have been scored so they can be closed and settled

In the CS market after a goal has been scored 0-0 may not be possible anymore but all the other scores lines are so they couldn't close and settle it and they don't remove individual selections that can no longer win in any market ie, if a horse falls its still possible to place bets on it.
A horse can still win if it falls. No stopping a jockey getting back on it’s ride.

It’s happened.
I'm sure I saw Norman Wisdom fall off a horse and get back on it to win years ago :D
The Dick Francis film Dead Cert ended with a Grand National where the two leading jockeys had a fight and one of them got thrown off his horse and impaled onto a spiked railing, which should never be in the vicinity of a racetrack. No ambulance was called, no steward's inquiry, no health
and safety inquiry, nobody even noticed!

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”