Anecdotal stories

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
ANGELS15

Not that long ago the point was made that with the seriousness of trading we should have a 'jokes' thread. One was started and has been slowly growing.

I thought it may be interesting to have a thread based around anecdotal stories relating to trading or betting. The sort of interesting stories you may tell around the dinner table to like minded people or even to those who don't bet or trade. The theme of the stories could be about amazing luck good or bad, poor decisions etc. Although the title is 'Anecdotal stories' it would be worthwhile including stories where you could be more specific if you remembered the details.

The stories could even be about things that could be applied to trading.

I'll start it off.

This is allegedly a true story. A punter was at the races and he was having a terrible day with the bets he was placing. All of his horses had finished well beaten. The guy had an idea. The next race was due off shortly and it was a large field. He approached a bookmaker and said 'this 9/2 favourite in the next race, what price would you give me for it to finish stone last?' The bookmaker said '33/1'. The punter place a £100 bet at 33s and went to the stands to watch the race.

During the race the favourite started to weaken and drop through the field and trailled in last. The guy was ecstatic. As he walked to the bookmakers stands there was a sudden announcement over the tannoy 'Stewards enquiry please hold all tickets'.

The punter thought 'what could possibly be wrong?' 'In any event I should be safe'. The enquiry went on for several minutes. Then came the anouncement 'Ladies and gentlemen the first past the post winner has been disqualified and placed last'.

Talk about a kick in the teeth!
ikky

True story - Bookies name changed to protect innocent.

Joes team used to work the silver rings, often going with zero float, and having everything back via tic-tac etc.

On the team was a v sharp pick-pocket, who could do wonders with his hands, his speciality counting the old-fashioned big money, v quickly, so u didn't know if he had given u 8 or 10.

Anyway, come the last race, they were winning 17 quid - yeah, must be a v old story, and there was an even-money shot. They had one regular big punter, who had an even 20 quid.

They had some back etc, but if it won, they were gonna be short 4 quid but reckoned the pick-pocket could pay out 36 and make it look like 40.

Sure enough - it dances up, and the punter comes to collect. They tell the punter to wait a little while, saying they have to collect from hedges, etc - so fewer people would see any potential fuss.

They get the 36 quid together, and the pickpocket starts to pay out the punter.

2/4/6/8/10/12/14/16/18/20 .. etc, 32/34/36/38/40 -- showing the punter v quickly the payout - folding the cash over, and saying well done.

The punter puts it in his pocket - but u can see he's not totally happy.

30 yards away from the joint, he stops and is clearly about to check the payout.

Quick as a flash, Joe jumps on the stand, and shouts as loudly as he can :

"Objection by the clerk of the scales to the winner - DONT PAY !!!"

The punter hears this and disappears.
Tuco

ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 pm
what price would you give me for it to finish stone last?' The bookmaker said '33/1'. The punter place a £100 bet at 33s and went to the stands to watch the race.
...and it did finish last - in not collecting he just lost another £3,400!

(wording is always important - remember 'place it on Lucky Dan'?)
ANGELS15

Tuco wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:32 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 pm
what price would you give me for it to finish stone last?' The bookmaker said '33/1'. The punter place a £100 bet at 33s and went to the stands to watch the race.
...and it did finish last - in not collecting he just lost another £3,400!

(wording is always important - remember 'place it on Lucky Dan'?)
Surprisingly I never saw the movie. I remember my schoolmates raving about it at the time.
ANGELS15

Here's another one.

Again a true story. I heard it from people who were there at the time. These people were regular bingo players. I''ve never been into bingo but I know there is or was a daily game during the program called the 'National' where all the clubs link up for a huge prize typically around £100k.

Anyway daughters and mums often go to bingo together and on this occasion a young woman was sat with her mum and they were playing the national game.

Suddenly the young woman shouted 'house!'. There was the usual excitement as the numbers were checked and yes she had indeed won £100k. The caller rushed forward with the mike, thrust it toward her and said 'what are you going to spend the money on?'

The young girl said 'I'll spend some of it on my 18th birthday celebration'. There was this huge gasp from the crowd. Of course she never got a penny (underage).

This was around 15 or so years ago before they brought in much more stringent age checks.
andy28

This happened to me.

Years ago when I was playing Rugby I had a game against my Brothers team and I knew a few in that team, I knew one guy that was an owner trainer and he told me while back he was setting a horse to win it's first race. Weeks later I get a phone call from my brother (on landline as this is pre mobile phones) and he says this horse is running on Saturday and to back it. As luck would have it I was playing their team on Saturday and the race was a few hours before we played.

Day of the race I go up there looking for the trainer and couldn't see him. when the horse entered the parade ring he wasn't leading the horse and I think wtf is going on, horse looked good and was at 20's (on the tote we didn't have fixed odds then) so I was watching the tote to see if any money was coming for it and it did come into 15's so I thought time for a punt $200w and I took it in a trifecta to win with field 2nd & 3rd. So I was in the hole for around $300.

The race starts and this thing with a young apprentice on streaks to a huge lead and at that point I knew my money was gone, on the turn it is still 8l clear and actually going well, 200m out I thought to myself this thing might do it, just as I thought that it started to struggle and there was a horse emerging from the pack with a good run and nothing else and I thought what an idiot I am as if it runs 2nd I lose as I didn't back it for a place. They hit the line and I couldn't tell who won the commentator said the other horse, I was near this old guy and he could tell which horse I was on said "well done it won" I said don't think so. Judge calls the numbers and the old guy was right I won by a nostril.

I collected nearly $8k all in cash and couldn't fit it in my pockets so I backed a horse in the next race (the one I really wanted to back) and buggar me if that didn't win as well. So I left the track with $10k and headed to the match. I see the trainer and I yell you effing beauty and he asks if I backed it and I said I did, he was fuming I said what's wrong you said it would win, turns out it hadn't eaten all its feed the night before and in the morning so they didn't think it would win, they wanted it to get a duck egg and back it in it's next start at big odds, and he had nothing on it.

All thru the game he was chasing me trying to get me every chance he had. After the game I put $500 on the bar, what a night that was, the horse never won again and the guy lost a small fortune on it, he didn't know when to stop

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”