New user - Forward betting based upon % of balance

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Mon88

Hi, I have recently created an account so I am new to all this.

I stumbled across this due to the "Automation" side of things.

My background is Football betting against full time results. I have my own strategy which is extremely simple but thought out and I have my own software for getting predictions which I am happy with. The problem I have and always knew would need to be resolved was to remove the "emotional" aspects that interfere with betting. I believe the only way to do this was to have a computer making the decisions based upon certain criteria. This would allow myself to take a back seat and not get involved throughout a certain timescale. What I mean by this is, every result or situation triggers different emotions i.e you may lose 2 in a row and you start chasing or you win 2 in a row and get greedy the usual end result is 0. This I want to remove.

To overcome this I would like to set my bets over a set period of time. Each bet or (set of games) would be based upon a % of my balance at the start time of each event. I then forget about it (or try) and see what happens over the period of the bets. I would also help with games during the early hours. This software appears to be overkill to my requirements but until now have not found anything suitable.

If somebody could come back and confirm if this is possible or offer any other advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Anbell

Mon88 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:44 pm
Hi, I have recently created an account so I am new to all this.

I stumbled across this due to the "Automation" side of things.

My background is Football betting against full time results. I have my own strategy which is extremely simple but thought out and I have my own software for getting predictions which I am happy with. The problem I have and always knew would need to be resolved was to remove the "emotional" aspects that interfere with betting. I believe the only way to do this was to have a computer making the decisions based upon certain criteria. This would allow myself to take a back seat and not get involved throughout a certain timescale. What I mean by this is, every result or situation triggers different emotions i.e you may lose 2 in a row and you start chasing or you win 2 in a row and get greedy the usual end result is 0. This I want to remove.

To overcome this I would like to set my bets over a set period of time. Each bet or (set of games) would be based upon a % of my balance at the start time of each event. I then forget about it (or try) and see what happens over the period of the bets. I would also help with games during the early hours. This software appears to be overkill to my requirements but until now have not found anything suitable.

If somebody could come back and confirm if this is possible or offer any other advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, balance can be an input
megarain

Guardian automation provides wonderful flexibility and opportunity for creativity, but using balance as an input can be tricky in the real world, if u have many games active.

Say u have £100 in your account:

You want to bet 3% of the available balance - for each game.

You want to bet on 5 games, at various over-lapping start times.

If u set automation at 3%, the first game would have a liability of
£3.

As the available balance is reduced, the last game of 3% will be a lot less than game 1.

Maybe it doesn’t matter etc , am fairly sure u could work around somehow - like storing required bet amount in a stored value , and comparing to available balance.
Mon88

Many thanks for the responses.

With regard to the overlap of events I intend to keep these separate to avoid this.

Within the spreadsheet template where you apply your instructions, is there set commands for the Stake i.e. [BALANCE*0.5] - being 50% of balance or something similar?

Ultimately I would like to add a number of games each day, say 5 throughout a 24hr period, with plenty of space to avoid overlaps and have it stake say 50% of active balance on each game. Is this easy enough to do? Any pitfalls with this?
Derek27

For most strategies, 50% of balance is quite a massive bet!

If you're using Guardian automation you can import stored values from a spreadsheet for your automation to use, so you could just update the balance on a daily basis.

If you're using Excel, simply enter your balance in an unused part of the spreadsheet and then you can access that cell when you create the formulas for your bet instructions.

If you want your balance to be updated throughout the day, you could have a rules file running all day that periodically updates a stored value with your balance and then access that SV in Excel.
Mon88

Thanks Derek!

So if I link my balance to a cell within spreadsheet (refreshing regularly) and then apply formula to the stake cell like =(A99*0.5) with A99 being where I store active balance. Would that work?
If so, any ideas how to retrieve my balance from Betfair? Is there a web address for this that I can embed in the SS?

Also, would I need to set a Place Bet timer so the stakes would be from the start of each game (picking up the active balance) and not placing all games at once?
Derek27

Mon88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:45 pm
Thanks Derek!

So if I link my balance to a cell within spreadsheet (refreshing regularly) and then apply formula to the stake cell like =(A99*0.5) with A99 being where I store active balance. Would that work?
If so, any ideas how to retrieve my balance from Betfair? Is there a web address for this that I can embed in the SS?

Also, would I need to set a Place Bet timer so the stakes would be from the start of each game (picking up the active balance) and not placing all games at once?
Your balance is included in the spreadsheet. I think the cell's C6, so you could use C6 for your live balance or store your balance on the spreadsheet if you want to use your start-of-day balance without earlier bets affecting your staking. There are timers in the F column for countdown to start and in-play so you could have a formula that triggers a bet at a time of your choosing.
Last edited by Derek27 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mon88

Many thanks Derek, help very much appreciated.

Making a bit more sense now.

Thanks again.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”