How do you become a winning trader then

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
FattyGoLucky

It all seems a bit covert and hush hush, I get it nobody wants to give away strategies, but the question remains.
Euler

The big secret is that there is no big secret.

Most newbies are looking for systems and strategies, but that's not how to trade. If you learn to trade from the bottom up or construct a methodic approach. You can tweak your expectancy to tip it positive. That's all you need to do.
FattyGoLucky

Ty that feels like an optimistic answer for me
goat68

Euler wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 pm
The big secret is that there is no big secret.

Most newbies are looking for systems and strategies, but that's not how to trade. If you learn to trade from the bottom up or construct a methodic approach. You can tweak your expectancy to tip it positive. That's all you need to do.
Knowing what i've learned so far.. i'd say that's "sort of" true, but there is a degree of "sauce" (as it's called in the trade!), which I guess is your personal methodical constructed approach. It's that "sauce" that takes a long time to develop and understand, and i'd prefer not to give away my exact "sauce recipes", but as your say the "ingredients" are well known...!
Euler

I think you mean, an angle? Some sort of differentiation?
goat68

Euler wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:53 pm
I think you mean, an angle? Some sort of differentiation?
Everyone interprets words differently, especially nowadays since we all WFH, especially when it's sunny !
Trader724

The most important thing is to figure out what the goal actually is, then you will build tactics and strategies to streamline the whole process of achieving that goal. The list of don'ts is more important than any strategy.
ShaunWhite

You don't become a "winning" trader. Nobody successful here ever "won" anything, they've earned it in the same way anyone earns money in any other job. Ie a big investment in time and effort to learn it, then maybe the chance to work for peanuts, and after a few years hard work you might, might end up in a decent position. "Trading" is £ for £ about as hard/easy as anything else and the whole language of "winning" just undermines that fact.
FattyGoLucky

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:47 pm
You don't become a "winning" trader. Nobody successful here ever "won" anything, they've earned it in the same way anyone earns money in any other job. Ie a big investment in time and effort to learn it, then maybe the chance to work for peanuts, and after a few years hard work you might, might end up in a decent position. "Trading" is £ for £ about as hard/easy as anything else and the whole language of "winning" just undermines that fact.
What I meant by "winning" is exactly what you have just described. Winning is just another word for successful
FattyGoLucky

A follow up question simple but also important. What would traders broadly recommend a novice like my self to concentrate on at first, dogs or horses? My only real criteria is which would likely lead to a greater chance of success.
Anbell

FattyGoLucky wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:57 am
A follow up question simple but also important. What would traders broadly recommend a novice like my self to concentrate on at first, dogs or horses? My only real criteria is which would likely lead to a greater chance of success.
I think that there are more dog races than horse races (especially if you include AU) so I'd start there.
LeTiss

I'd advise newbies or struggling traders to record their screens along with your own commentary, describing what you're thinking and why you do what you do

It won't be long before you see trends, both good and bad
It will certainly help identify your weaknesses, or mistakes.....and why you fell into those traps
ShaunWhite

FattyGoLucky wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:04 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
You don't become a "winning" trader. Nobody successful here ever "won" anything, they've earned it.
What I meant by "winning" is exactly what you have just described. Winning is just another word for successful
It was a comment on the semantics and language of betting that undermines the professionalism required. I do know its called 'winning" but that's exactly the reason our profession is largely disrespected by people who don't understand it. That's all.
FattyGoLucky

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:32 am
FattyGoLucky wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:04 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
You don't become a "winning" trader. Nobody successful here ever "won" anything, they've earned it.
It was a comment on the semantics and language of betting that undermines the professionalism required. I do know its called 'winning" but that's exactly the reason our profession is largely disrespected by people who don't understand it. That's all.
Using words like successful instead of winning won't change peoples ignorance and "disrespect"
Who cares what people think
FattyGoLucky

Anbell wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:08 am
FattyGoLucky wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:57 am
I think that there are more dog races than horse races (especially if you include AU) so I'd start there.
Thanks, will take a look

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”