Bot chooses different horses in practice mode vs live

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
mtrehearn

Euler wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:32 am
The only thing that is different between live and practice mode is the matching engine. In practice mode the matching engine is done locally as close as we can get it to Betfair. That is the only difference.
Thank you. What is/are the main differences between the two and is there a way to trick the bot to behave more like practice mode vs live?
ShaunWhite

mtrehearn wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:08 am
Euler wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:32 am
The only thing that is different between live and practice mode is the matching engine. In practice mode the matching engine is done locally as close as we can get it to Betfair. That is the only difference.
Thank you. What is/are the main differences between the two and is there a way to trick the bot to behave more like practice mode vs live?
As I said, timing, PIQ and your effect can't be perfectly simulated so although it's damn close it can't be exactly the same as live.

'time to appear in the market' means just that. A bet submitted in-running is subject to a 1s delay before its either matched or appears as unmatched and other people see it. Sub-min bets take 2s. But aside from that it's not unual for there to be 100s of bets placed/matched a second so live and any sort of simulation will always have differences. Practice mode isn't Test mode.
jamesedwards

In my experience Practise Mode is incredibly useful to check an automation behaves and fires as planned. It's saved me thousands over time for sure, by highlighting some really big mistakes :mrgreen:.

But profitability in Practise Mode may be very different to Real Mode for several reasons. A couple of the biggies are:
1) as soon as you become any part of the market you are dragging the efficiency away from your selection. The higher your stake, the more the drag. Don't underestimate stake. I've had several automations over thousands of markets that return reasonably at £2 but drop off a cliff just by doubling stakes to £4. A tiny difference in % return from stake increase can add up substantially in the long run.
2) Practise Mode will assume an infinite value available to match at the best available price. This means you will always get fully matched at the best possible price when in Real Mode this is, of course, not the case.

I've found best practise is to use Practise Mode only for testing behaviour, then move onto £1 stakes for testing profitability. If results are favourable then increase stakes very slowly.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”