Risk of data charges if using Bet Angel and Betfair website

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
pfc304

Hi, I couldn't really think of the best section of the forum for this question so apologies if it needs to be moved.

I understand how Bet Angel limits the maximum number of calls to Betfair in order to prevent incurring data charges, but am I risking that if for example I login into Betfair on my browser (either at home or from my phone on the go) to watch live feed whilst Bet Angel is still connected on my PC?

Thanks for any advice / reassurance.
Derek27

pfc304 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Hi, I couldn't really think of the best section of the forum for this question so apologies if it needs to be moved.

I understand how Bet Angel limits the maximum number of calls to Betfair in order to prevent incurring data charges, but am I risking that if for example I login into Betfair on my browser (either at home or from my phone on the go) to watch live feed whilst Bet Angel is still connected on my PC?

Thanks for any advice / reassurance.
I can't remember what the limit is but I very much doubt you could achieve it on the website. You'd have to be clicking/placing bets more than once a second for an hour. When using BA, using streaming as opposed to polling will drastically reduce the number of data requests.
pfc304

Thanks for reply, scenario I'm thinking of is having Bet Angel automation running on pre-race horses at home on my PC but also simultaenously logging in to Betfair site from either my PC browser or phone.
Derek27

pfc304 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:06 pm
Thanks for reply, scenario I'm thinking of is having Bet Angel automation running on pre-race horses at home on my PC but also simultaenously logging in to Betfair site from either my PC browser or phone.
I'm usually logged in with BA on two computers and also on the website. Being logged in isn't a problem, it's the number of bets and data requests per hour that's important. Unless it runs into the 1000s it's not a worry.
pfc304

Ok that's making more sense, I only ever have one active market at a time on BA but I do have all the latency settings at minimum so getting the highest refresh rate possible.
thepressure

I got my account closed due to making 63 million requets ina few days

Turns out i left my laptop on on the BF home scrren and id had it set to maximum refresh. first thing i did after begging for my account back is slowing everything down and never accidentally staying logged in
pfc304

Was that without having BA running too?
ShaunWhite

thepressure wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:06 pm
I got my account closed due to making 63 million requets ina few days

Turns out i left my laptop on on the BF home scrren and id had it set to maximum refresh. first thing i did after begging for my account back is slowing everything down and never accidentally staying logged in
If you use streaming (data pushed at you) rather than polling (data pulled by you) that isn't an issue. And you can have 5000 transactions per hour with additional ones charged at 0.2p each.
ShaunWhite

pfc304 wrote:
I understand how Bet Angel limits the maximum number of calls to Betfair in order to prevent incurring data charges
I'm almost certain it doesn't, where did you see that? It wouldn't be effective anyway if you ran 10 BA instances as some do.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 am
pfc304 wrote:
I understand how Bet Angel limits the maximum number of calls to Betfair in order to prevent incurring data charges
I'm almost certain it doesn't, where did you see that? It wouldn't be effective anyway if you ran 10 BA instances as some do.
Shaun is correct, the call limits were removed when API-NG was introduced eight years ago

On busy days I'll have half dozen or more logins to BA all refreshing at 20ms around the clock some running automation, others collecting data, as long as you remain below the 5000 transactions mentioned earlier by Shaun you won't incur any charges

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”