game suspended

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Dallas wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:11 pm
Might have to wait till the RM strikes end to receive a real one :)
:)
Did I mention that advertising space on my desk comes at a price. But my failed legal case over "advertise-tesco--for-life" bags hasn't set a very good president, not a dime for being a mobile billboard.
Back in the eighties I had a work colleague who turned his Tesco bags inside out because he had to pay 5 pence for them. :lol:

Didn't even get anywhere near the guys who would pay £20 for a Tour de France team's shirt, but at least the cost of plastic bags now go to charity.
Michael5482

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:14 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:25 pm
Put some money in a Smarkets or Betdaq account (or both) and hedge your Betfair position on either one if you have an open position on Betfair when it's down.
If Betfair had a consistant policy on voiding I'd agree.

And personally given the current climate around affordability checking I choose to have as few bookie/exhamge accounts as possible. Nothing screams problem gambler louder than having accounts all over the place. I'm just very risk averse when it comes to being able to work and I'll take unplanned wins or losses on the chin. There isn't even a guarentee you'll find enough liquidity on smarkets or elsewhere at 0 or positive EV anyway. Horses for courses though I guess.
Fair points, I just prefer to hedge to protect my bank. Think the root problem for the OP is he's used his full bank to open a trade.
888kagol

:oops: would it be possible someone would help to set up the excel on my computer, for a fee, anyone feeling helpful today I wonder.!
ShaunWhite

Michael5482 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:21 am
Fair points, I just prefer to hedge to protect my bank. Think the root problem for the OP is he's used his full bank to open a trade.
I see why you'd want to hedge but if Betfair is down then its not always easy to know what your position actually is after voiding etc. Trying to hedge elsewhere can make things worse.

Bottomline is don't put all your eggs in one basket. The risk of tech failing when you're having a few bets a week is pretty small, but when you start to trade a lot and it's inevitable. Trading is ALL about risk management so putting all your money on the table without thinking about the slim chance of not getting it back is lesson#1.

Lastly, affordability checks are only a problem when you need to deposit, even 'pros' are being protective about their working capital and holding banks of 4 or 5x worst case scenarios. It's so important to me that my bank is 10x what I usually need. If someone new has got £100 to play with then put £75 into a different wallet and trade with 25. When the worst happens its not game over player 1.
ShaunWhite

888kagol wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:01 am
:oops: would it be possible someone would help to set up the excel on my computer, for a fee, anyone feeling helpful today I wonder.!
If you just follow the instructions on the setup wizard then you should be OK. Leave everything at the default settings.
Derek27

888kagol wrote:
Installing Excel is as simple as clicking on the download and install button - it's that simple!
888kagol

:lol: stop teasing. :lol:
ShaunWhite

888kagol wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:49 pm
?
A "setup wizard" is an actual thing not a pss take. It's the dialog you get when you run the setup application.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 pm
888kagol wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:49 pm
?
A "setup wizard" is an actual thing not a pss take. It's the dialog you get when you run the setup application.
i think the tease was re the simplicity of installing Excel - tho that said, it is simple!? isn't it? ;)
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:34 pm
888kagol wrote:
Installing Excel is as simple as clicking on the download and install button - it's that simple!
Last edited by jimibt on Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:31 pm
888kagol wrote:
If you just follow the instructions on the setup wizard then you should be OK. Leave everything at the default settings.
Listen to Shaun, you can trust the setup wizard to do a fine job of installing your software 👍

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”