game suspended

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
888kagol

laying the bayern munich game yesterday, the server crashed from 12 minutes in, until the end, meaning i was unable to close my lay bets, or place any back bets.

i contacted bet fair support, they offered their terms and conditions and replied they are not liable. I explained that I wasnt able to close/open any bets, and their server was at fault. They just said sorry. Since then I have noticed other 'smaller' games, just vanishing from the in play listings. all I know is it took my whole balance, so looking not very pleased.

did anyone else see this game, how do you deal with these situations?
cheers
K
Last edited by 888kagol on Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

888kagol wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 am
, how do you deal with these situations please?
Swallow it. All electronic exchanges from eBay to the LSE have an execution risk and that's just how it is. Fortunately Betfair prices are effectively 0EV so although you've experienced a bit of varience you haven't been disadvantaged.

It's an occupational hazard when you go from having a few bets to betting all day every day. My stuff bets 22hrs a day 364 and one or two glitches a day is normal, but on the positive side if you bet enough they soon even out.

The best way to deal with it is to manage your money so that you always have an acceptable impact on your bank in the worst case scenario.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:19 pm
My stuff bets 22hrs a day 364
Why only 22 hours?
Michael5482

888kagol wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 am
laying the bayern munich game yesterday, the server crashed from 12 minutes in, until the end, meaning i was unable to close my lay bets, or place any back bets.

i contacted bet fair support, they offered their terms and conditions and replied they are not liable. I explained that I wasnt able to close/open any bets, and their server was at fault. They just said sorry. Since then I have noticed other 'smaller' games, just vanishing from the in play listings. all I know is it took my whole balance, so looking not very pleased.

did anyone else see this game, how do you deal with these situations?
cheers
K
Put some money in a Smarkets or Betdaq account (or both) and hedge your Betfair position on either one if you have an open position on Betfair when it's down.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:51 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Why only 22 hours?
😁. It needs more sleep than you do.

But between 10 and midnight not much is happening so it shuts down, runs backups and reports, then fires up again at 00:00;01 because I've got a bugette trading across date changes that I've never addressed.
ShaunWhite

Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:25 pm
Put some money in a Smarkets or Betdaq account (or both) and hedge your Betfair position on either one if you have an open position on Betfair when it's down.
If Betfair had a consistant policy on voiding I'd agree.

And personally given the current climate around affordability checking I choose to have as few bookie/exhamge accounts as possible. Nothing screams problem gambler louder than having accounts all over the place. I'm just very risk averse when it comes to being able to work and I'll take unplanned wins or losses on the chin. There isn't even a guarentee you'll find enough liquidity on smarkets or elsewhere at 0 or positive EV anyway. Horses for courses though I guess.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:51 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Why only 22 hours?
😁. It needs more sleep than you do.

But between 10 and midnight not much is happening so it shuts down, runs backups and reports, then fires up again at 00:00;01 because I've got a bugette trading across date changes that I've never addressed.
That bug got to my automation. I got around it by changing my VBA Time functions to Date. :)
888kagol

what automation.... :?
Derek27

888kagol wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:36 pm
what automation....what softwere , tell me more....?
Bet Angel allows you to automate a trading strategy to fire bets according to a set of rules, while your computer is unattended, as well as using Excel formulas and VBA to control your automation. The software Shaun's talking about is his own bespoke software, which is a more complex way of doing it.

https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/
888kagol

oh yes I see..it is no doubt an interesting read I must say.

I think Betfair etc should offer an insurance option for things like server crashing, it's a bit much.

thanks for reply though, cheers
ShaunWhite

I'd recommend the excellent and versatile automation features available with BA.
(I'm gonna get a mug this year if it kills me :))

But in all seriousness bespoke software is like having a scalpel and BA is a Swiss Army knife. Mine does only one thing and changing it is a pain, Guardian is a whole set of building blocks you can change in minutes. It's not so much the actual bet execution where bespoke provides advantages it's the pre and post execution analysis.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:03 pm
I'd recommend the excellent and versatile automation features available with BA.

But in all seriousness bespoke software is like having a scalpel and BA is a Swiss Army knife. Mine does only one thing and changing it is a pain, Guardian is a whole set of building blocks you can change in minutes. It's not so much the actual bet execution where bespoke provides advantages it's the pre and post execution analysis.
Might have to wait till the RM strikes end to receive a real one :)

BA Mug.JPEG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sionascaig

Dallas wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:11 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:03 pm

BA Mug.JPEG
Its digital... worth more than a real mug surely...
Kai

888kagol wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:36 pm
what automation....what softwere , tell me more....?
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:11 pm
:)
Did I mention that advertising space on my desk comes at a price. But my failed legal case over "advertise-tesco--for-life" bags hasn't set a very good president, not a dime for being a mobile billboard.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”