betfair soccer updates

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
ODPaul82

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:01 am

That's much the same for me. I learnt ZX Spectrum BASIC and then Z80 assembler, but those were the days when I was full of enthusiasm to learn, my dad went out to work and my mum did all the cooking, housework, even made the beds.

As you get older you don't lose the ability or interest to learn new things. You just have less time and realise anything new learned is less useful as you have less time to make use of it. :lol:
My first daliance with code would have been at school on BBC Micros.
I semi-learnt basic on an Atari 800 (I was about 6-7 so where I say "learnt" I was copying the code out of the magazines at that point).
Then progressed onto C on the Amiga 500 which I vaguely remember was a Motorola chip-set.
Then assembler on an 8088 based PC (no hard disk, 5 1/4" floppy), again it was more mucking about with stuff. I doubt I was 11 by this point.

Started bunking off school at about 11-12 as had my heart set on being a developer, instead of being in the park drinking cider I was in the library learning SQL. I had visions of writing my own OS. I got suspended for adjusting the code for password resets on the Acorn Archimedes that we had where anytime a person changed their password it would write it down to a text file in my own folder. (thank you Wimbledon College for teaching me nothing but suspending me for showing initiative and not checking that code for 4 months).

I used to seriously **** off my dad by unlocking the BIOS password on PCs, he never figured you could remove a dip switch on the motherboard and it would wipe the password from the BIOS.

Have also touched on C++, VB.NET, C#.NET, GoLang, Lua, bit of R with work but only small amount (actuaries use it), do a bit of BASH in day job but not a hell of a lot, a large chunk of Oracle in finance sector is now cloud based and very much "point & click".

Spent the vast majority of my working career automating anything & everything via VBA (skipped A-Levels & Uni as drug taking was much more fun)
Most of career has been split 50/50 doing development in the finance/insurance/actuarial sector as there's a reluctance to have compiled based code as what you've developed and running needs to have auditability. Other 50% was in NHS doing forecasting, demand management and probability scenarios. automating most of it and just not telling anyone.

My personal preference these days is to code stuff in Rust, I avoid Python like the plague.

Am at the very tender age of 41 where I'm still happy to learn new stuff but also I know 95% of what I want to do can be done with VBA and it integrates so well with BA but the vast chunk of what I do is just number crunching, once I've got the values I just shove them in as stored values and let BA do it's magic.
Derek27

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:51 am
Derek27 wrote:

That's much the same for me. I learnt ZX Spectrum BASIC and then Z80 assembler, but those were the days when I was full of enthusiasm to learn, my dad went out to work and my mum did all the cooking, housework, even made the beds.

As you get older you don't lose the ability or interest to learn new things. You just have less time and realise anything new learned is less useful as you have less time to make use of it. :lol:
My first daliance with code would have been at school on BBC Micros.
I semi-learnt basic on an Atari 800 (I was about 6-7 so where I say "learnt" I was copying the code out of the magazines at that point).
Then progressed onto C on the Amiga 500 which I vaguely remember was a Motorola chip-set.
Then assembler on an 8088 based PC (no hard disk, 5 1/4" floppy), again it was more mucking about with stuff. I doubt I was 11 by this point.

Started bunking off school at about 11-12 as had my heart set on being a developer, instead of being in the park drinking cider I was in the library learning SQL. I had visions of writing my own OS. I got suspended for adjusting the code for password resets on the Acorn Archimedes that we had where anytime a person changed their password it would write it down to a text file in my own folder. (thank you Wimbledon College for teaching me nothing but suspending me for showing initiative and not checking that code for 4 months).

I used to seriously **** off my dad by unlocking the BIOS password on PCs, he never figured you could remove a dip switch on the motherboard and it would wipe the password from the BIOS.

Have also touched on C++, VB.NET, C#.NET, GoLang, Lua, bit of R with work but only small amount (actuaries use it), do a bit of BASH in day job but not a hell of a lot, a large chunk of Oracle in finance sector is now cloud based and very much "point & click".

Spent the vast majority of my working career automating anything & everything via VBA (skipped A-Levels & Uni as drug taking was much more fun)
Most of career has been split 50/50 doing development in the finance/insurance/actuarial sector as there's a reluctance to have compiled based code as what you've developed and running needs to have auditability. Other 50% was in NHS doing forecasting, demand management and probability scenarios. automating most of it and just not telling anyone.

My personal preference these days is to code stuff in Rust, I avoid Python like the plague.

Am at the very tender age of 41 where I'm still happy to learn new stuff but also I know 95% of what I want to do can be done with VBA and it integrates so well with BA but the vast chunk of what I do is just number crunching, once I've got the values I just shove them in as stored values and let BA do it's magic.
6-7 is quite a young age to be learning to write programs, but I guess there wouldn't have been many adults around to teach you because they'd be busy learning it themselves, as I was. :lol:

I used to bunk off school to watch racing. Got suspended for having three days off for the 1982 Cheltenham Festival. I had £2 on Silver Buck to win the Gold Cup at 7/1. When my dad came home from work, he was delighted and chucked the £1 notes on my lap one by one

But bunking off school to go to the library to study things you're not taught at school - that's new to me. :lol:
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Euler wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:53 am
I got lucky as I learnt to code in assembly when I was in my teens so that sorted the logic side of things.

But over the years I feel behind on high level coding,

Same for me Derek - Zx80, 81 and then a Spectrum. BBC Acorn at college.

I went the IT support route, not developer, so ended up scripting mainly
ODPaul82

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:56 am
But bunking off school to go to the library to study things you're not taught at school - that's new to me. :lol:
IT was "this is how to design a leaflet in DTP software" type of stuff, I couldn't give a rats arse about that :lol:

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”