Out of trading

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
ForFolksSake

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:16 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
Kai wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:50 am

Is the difference really that big to justify calling someone out on it?

We were sometimes a bit quick to jump at peoples throats in the past, probably more sensible to give ppl the benefit of the doubt, than to shoot first and ask questions last

In any case it's nice to hear he's made good progress in recent months :)

Maybe he's only been out for 2 days but it "felt" like 2 months :D
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics

Come on Kai. I'm out of red flags. I'm all for being polite but this may be some sort of subtle hustle or unfortunately a gambling problem. I have not handled it well and should be careful to make sure the forum becomes a welcoming space but equally there is a risk of users handing over account details. Hindsight I should have just flagged to a moderator and left it at that.
Could be genuine, but
most likely fishing for PMs offering accounts
most likely fishing for PMs offering accounts
Obviously
jimibt

either way, the OP has always come across as a twat!
johnsheppard

Fugazi wrote:
4) Can't access account
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
Derek27

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:51 pm
Fugazi wrote:
4) Can't access account
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
johnsheppard

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
Derek27

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am
Derek27 wrote:

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:49 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Did you make 1̶5̶0̶0̶ d̶o̶l̶l̶a̶r̶s̶ 2500 euro pounds too ?
Derek27

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:29 am
Derek27 wrote:
johnsheppard wrote:

A month? Not from scalping. Profitable though it is, I've never focused on it.
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:44 am
Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:29 am
Derek27 wrote:

A month? Not from scalping. Profitable though it is, I've never focused on it.
I've always imagined scalping would be infinitely more profitable automated. May re explore it now I can use gpt to analyse data better. I imagine vwap may be an important factor coupled with weight of money
Kai

johnsheppard wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Indeed, hence my question earlier about it

Too bad it's hard to get more than a few words out of OP

Think he sent me a 3 word PM once, to which I replied "going ok ty for asking"

FWIW I think his earlier posts seemed fine, and his claims certainly don't sound outlandish

We've all heard about worse account shenanigans too :)
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:21 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Too bad it's hard to get more than a few words out of OP

Think he sent me a 3 word PM once, to which I replied "going ok ty for asking"

FWIW I think his earlier posts seemed fine, and his claims certainly don't sound outlandish

We've all heard about worse account shenanigans too :)
I don't find the claims in themselves outlandish at all.

What is strange is someone in such a good situation (2.5k tax free) in no real rush to pursuit it further. The only real explanation would be someone that already has a big passive income and this is a bit of a hobby.

However what I do see is lots of red flags of a gambler or scammer.

1 in 1000 this is legit. 999/1000 it is not.
johnsheppard

Kai wrote:
But I wanted glory :( I suppose I should save it for the killing fields. And if I keep talking this way, I will be a successful trader one day to.
andy28

johnsheppard wrote:
Fugazi wrote:
4) Can't access account
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

Ah Phar Lap, the great Kiwi horse :D
conduirez

andy28 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:55 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
Fugazi wrote:
4) Can't access account
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

Ah Phar Lap, the great Kiwi horse :D
The big question that always hangs over Phar Lap, is was he great, or was he given a few of Harry Potter's potions to make him run a bit quicker.
Kai

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:33 pm
Kai wrote:
But I wanted glory :( I suppose I should save it for the killing fields. And if I keep talking this way, I will be a successful trader one day to.
Hehe, all glory is fleeting sadly : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KkaxmJxqYQQ

It's all about the hero's journey!

Harry Potter's a decent example too :)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”