Out of trading

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
ForFolksSake
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 11, 2024 2:51 pm

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:16 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
Kai wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:50 am


Is the difference really that big to justify calling someone out on it?

We were sometimes a bit quick to jump at peoples throats in the past, probably more sensible to give ppl the benefit of the doubt, than to shoot first and ask questions last

In any case it's nice to hear he's made good progress in recent months :)

Maybe he's only been out for 2 days but it "felt" like 2 months :D
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics


Come on Kai. I'm out of red flags. I'm all for being polite but this may be some sort of subtle hustle or unfortunately a gambling problem. I have not handled it well and should be careful to make sure the forum becomes a welcoming space but equally there is a risk of users handing over account details. Hindsight I should have just flagged to a moderator and left it at that.
Could be genuine, but
most likely fishing for PMs offering accounts
.
most likely fishing for PMs offering accounts
Obviously
User avatar
jimibt
Posts: 3762
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: Narnia

either way, the OP has always come across as a twat!
User avatar
johnsheppard
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 am
Location: Cairns Australia

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 24074
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:51 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
User avatar
johnsheppard
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 am
Location: Cairns Australia

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 24074
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Fugazi
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:49 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Did you make 1̶5̶0̶0̶ d̶o̶l̶l̶a̶r̶s̶ 2500 euro pounds too ?
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 24074
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:29 am
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:49 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am


ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Did you make 1̶5̶0̶0̶ d̶o̶l̶l̶a̶r̶s̶ 2500 euro pounds too ?
A month? Not from scalping. Profitable though it is, I've never focused on it.
Fugazi
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:44 am
Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:29 am
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:49 am


I used to do it myself when I first started trading, free betting instead of greening up. Perhaps having a gambling background made me lean towards getting a decent payout. I found it quite frustrating when free bets kept falling by the wayside and concluded the two styles probably average out to the same position. After all, your free bets are on random horses. :)
Did you make 1̶5̶0̶0̶ d̶o̶l̶l̶a̶r̶s̶ 2500 euro pounds too ?
A month? Not from scalping. Profitable though it is, I've never focused on it.
I've always imagined scalping would be infinitely more profitable automated. May re explore it now I can use gpt to analyse data better. I imagine vwap may be an important factor coupled with weight of money
User avatar
Kai
Posts: 6376
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 pm

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
Indeed, hence my question earlier about it

Too bad it's hard to get more than a few words out of OP

Think he sent me a 3 word PM once, to which I replied "going ok ty for asking"

FWIW I think his earlier posts seemed fine, and his claims certainly don't sound outlandish

We've all heard about worse account shenanigans too :)
Fugazi
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:20 pm

Kai wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:21 am
johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm
Judging by his previous posts, "without risk" and "taking them in-play" means taking a free bet instead of greening-up his scalps.
ahhh ic..... Still it's ludicrous :)

I reckon pre-off and in-play are completely different markets. But maybe there are some correlated behaviours, and I can't think what they are.
Indeed, hence my question earlier about it

Too bad it's hard to get more than a few words out of OP

Think he sent me a 3 word PM once, to which I replied "going ok ty for asking"

FWIW I think his earlier posts seemed fine, and his claims certainly don't sound outlandish

We've all heard about worse account shenanigans too :)
I don't find the claims in themselves outlandish at all.

What is strange is someone in such a good situation (2.5k tax free) in no real rush to pursuit it further. The only real explanation would be someone that already has a big passive income and this is a bit of a hobby.

However what I do see is lots of red flags of a gambler or scammer.

1 in 1000 this is legit. 999/1000 it is not.
User avatar
johnsheppard
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 am
Location: Cairns Australia

Kai wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:21 am
Indeed, hence my question earlier about it
But I wanted glory :( I suppose I should save it for the killing fields. And if I keep talking this way, I will be a successful trader one day to.
andy28
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:06 am
Location: NZ

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:51 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
Ah Phar Lap, the great Kiwi horse :D
User avatar
conduirez
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 8:25 pm

andy28 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:55 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:51 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 am
1) Can't remember own figures
2) Interchanges between dollars and euro pounds?
3) Has a friend that doesn't want free money
4) Can't access account
5) Very successful trader yet does not seem to know the basics
6. 'without risk'
7. 'taking them inplay'

I guess those fall under 5. Cause risk assessment and managing it is pretty much the core of what a trader does...there be no such thing as no risk..... Then, taking pre-race trades in-play may as well be the same as letting your bet on phar lap ride onto Harry Potter in the BigBash2020. Makes zero sense.
Ah Phar Lap, the great Kiwi horse :D
The big question that always hangs over Phar Lap, is was he great, or was he given a few of Harry Potter's potions to make him run a bit quicker.
User avatar
Kai
Posts: 6376
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:21 pm

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:33 pm
Kai wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:21 am
Indeed, hence my question earlier about it
But I wanted glory :( I suppose I should save it for the killing fields. And if I keep talking this way, I will be a successful trader one day to.
Hehe, all glory is fleeting sadly : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KkaxmJxqYQQ

It's all about the hero's journey!

Harry Potter's a decent example too :)
Post Reply

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”