Betfair scalping for beginners

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
LeTiss

thepressure wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:08 pm
Can you actually still profit manually scalping horses or are the bots unbeatable?
1 tick scalping is harder now than it was in the past. That's for sure
Ronan1001

thepressure wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:06 am
anyone use the course on bfscalper .com ? I know it shows him doing well but can you really do as well manually?
Personally, I found it uncomfortable. But maybe later it will seem different to me when I get deeper into it.
ShaunWhite

Ronan1001 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:15 pm
thepressure wrote:
anyone use the course on bfscalper .com ? I know it shows him doing well but can you really do as well manually?
Personally, I found it uncomfortable. But maybe later it will seem different to me when I get deeper into it.
I've never understood why people choose scalping as a first strategy apart from it sounding easy. You need quick reaction times and an awareness of factors beyond what the usual beginner has. It's a really low ambition strategy too taking one tick at a time. What's wrong with some nice gentle low stress swing trading?
Emmson

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:58 pm
Ronan1001 wrote:
thepressure wrote:
I've never understood why people choose scalping as a first strategy apart from it sounding easy. You need quick reaction times and an awareness of factors beyond what the usual beginner has. It's a really low ambition strategy too taking one tick at a time. What's wrong with some nice gentle low stress swing trading?
When does a scalp become a swing? for myself its anything above 4 ticks and on the vast majority of horse racing markets on here now looking for 1 tick is no longer feasible, they're just too jumpy, scalping used to be the main topic of discussion on this forum.
ShaunWhite

Emmson wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:09 pm
When does a scalp become a swing?
I thought it was putting your money on both sides at once, or maybe as time with an open position, seconds rather than minutes. I just think there's more than enough for new people to take in without doing something that's quite rapid, something slower might help, cricket maybe ;)
wearthefoxhat

Emmson wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:09 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Ronan1001 wrote:

When does a scalp become a swing? for myself its anything above 4 ticks and on the vast majority of horse racing markets on here now looking for 1 tick is no longer feasible, they're just too jumpy, scalping used to be the main topic of discussion on this forum.
If the market is too jumpy then it's not a good one for 1 tick scalping.

Ideally look for a stable market. (evidence of price movement within a small range)
Kai

If looking for 1-tick scalps would you even need movement at all
Emmson

Kai wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:43 pm
If looking for 1-tick scalps would you even need movement at all
No but you'll get movement and too much movement and that is the problem if you're hunting for 1 tick on the nags in all but a very few markets
Ronan1001

ShaunWhite wrote:
Ronan1001 wrote:
Not the first strategy. I have to learn, how else could I? Is there any other way to gain experience?
mrColeman

The only thing I realized is that here you also need to be able to control your nerves, when something goes wrong, you need to overpower yourself and close even though with a small minus, and earn on the last movements, rather than wait until your minus will kill you.
Hortic07

Hi all newbie on bet angel although ive been using betfair for years manually.

Im just trying to get used to the software. Im trying to make some very low profit to start by scalping football matches. I'm simply hoping to back at the lay price and lay at the back price. Tonight is alvarez vs real madrid. I was hoping to back Alvarez at 6.2 and lay at 6.0, fairly boring i know but im just getting started. Except when i queue a bet that dosent get matched im not given the option to green up until it matches. Other than manually calculating my lay stake is there anyway to get bet angel to do this for me on an unmatched bet?
Dallas

Hortic07 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 am

Im just trying to get used to the software. Im trying to make some very low profit to start by scalping football matches. I'm simply hoping to back at the lay price and lay at the back price. Tonight is alvarez vs real madrid. I was hoping to back Alvarez at 6.2 and lay at 6.0, fairly boring i know but im just getting started. Except when i queue a bet that dosent get matched im not given the option to green up until it matches. Other than manually calculating my lay stake is there anyway to get bet angel to do this for me on an unmatched bet?
You can use the 'Offset bet with greening' option from the Global Settings area to do this
https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/bet ... tings.html
Kai

Hortic07 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 am

No real need to hedge every tick/pip you win when casually scalping or market making, you can keep it simple with flat stakes and green up once you're done.

Not a fan of offsetting bets in general, with offset here you would have to wait much longer to get scalps through which means you win less ticks overall.
Trader724

It makes sense to hedge as soon as the profit is equal to or greater than the expected value.
HarryPotter69

Hello,
I started using BA yesterday with hopes of eventually earning income. Currently using small stakes to understand the process, but encountered issues. In a previous message, there's an example of scalping with "offset bet with greening." My first bet matches, but the second doesn't place. I've tried multiple times, and something seems off.
Also, I wanted to scalp a tennis serve in an in-play match from a smaller tournament, but I could only find matches at Roland Garros. Any assistance is appreciated.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”