Freaky Coincidences?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
paspuggie48

I am fascinated by 'coincidences'. It blows my mind the 'chance' of something happening at that particular time, when if it had been 10 seconds later it would probably have never happened.

So, yesterday...

As you know Boycie from Only Fools also died yesterday and as an ardent OFAH fan it was sad to hear and got on proceeded to get on with my day.

Later, after the footy finished I thought I'll bang a Netflix movie on and as I've watched most of them before, I ended up putting on the oldie 'French Connection'. Hell, I've not seen it in 40 years, so I thought I'd give it a go.

So, I'm watching it and there is a scene where Popeye (Gene Hackman) walks into a bar and there are 3 black women singing on stage and I'm like "that's the Three Degrees isn't it, surely not?"

Hell yeah, after checking IMDB it was them and I'm like "wow, I've not seen or heard of the Three Degrees in like 30 years".

So, after the movie I'm chilling out and I thought I'd check out Twitter and then wooooaaahhhh, there is a 'like' on my timeline from someone I am connected to (Patrick Weaver, former tabloid racing tipster).

...It was only a tweet he had liked from none other than Sheila Ferguson, who was the main singer of the Three Degrees, who had posted a tweet about her good friend John Challis (Boycie) who had just died.

I mean, what's the chances...!!

So what are you coincidence stories?
paspuggie48

In 1998 I was working in Glasgow, not far from Central Station.

Opposite was a pub called 'The Admiral'. Bit of a saw-dust non-plus pub but good enough to have a pint in but not somewhere one would make a point of visiting. However, as I worked in an office bang straight opposite it, most nights after work we would pop in for a few sherbets.

On this particular afternoon I asked my colleague Kyla if she'd like a couple of schwallies but she refused as she didn't want to go. I asked and asked and eventually she agreed but said she was only having a couple and that was it.

So, we went in and a bit later as we were drinking I could hear this very distinct laugh in the background, towards the end of the pub. A laugh I recalled I had heard many years ago but couldn't quite pinpoint whom or whatever.

I said to Kyla, "Hmmmm, that's strange, I'm sure I know that laugh".

She said, "go over and find out who it is".

I'm like "no way, I don't want to look like a knobhead when it turns out it's someone I don't know".

Next thing, I hear the laugh again and then for a 3rd time....

So, I said "Let's have another, I'll go to the bar and if I find out it is someone I know, then jobs a good'un".

So, I'm at the bar and there was this gang of men all stood together and I hear the laugh again...I couldn't quite see who it was but then all of a sudden, there was a gap in between them all and I peered through...

...in disbelief, it was only my cousin who I had not seen in 15 years !!!

To think also, he said he was not even going into that pub that night but their mate was late, so they nipped in for just 1 pint until he arrived. Otherwise if their mate was on time they would never have gone in that pub.

I mean, what's the chances... !
Realrocknrolla

My freaky coincidence is that me and you used to drink in the same pub… we know the same people but only met through BA Forum.

I will let you buy me that pint in the near future mind!

Or two.😉
LeTiss

I only have 1 freaky coincidence to tell. Others may think it's crap though!! :lol:

A couple of years back, I became interested in ancestry. I lost contact with my dad and his family when I was a kid, after my parents divorced.
I had no idea who my great grandparents were on his dad's side.

After some investigation on Ancestry.com I found out who my great-grandmother was.....it was a woman called Frances Freeland.
The moment I saw her name and said it out loud, I went cold. It was as if I knew her, yet I'd never heard that name before

I couldn't find her birth certificate, but I could her death certificate. I bought it.

It turns out she died on 5th June 1930.......I was born 40 years to the day later on 5th June 1970!!
Realrocknrolla

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:40 pm
I only have 1 freaky coincidence to tell. Others may think it's crap though!! :lol:

A couple of years back, I became interested in ancestry. I lost contact with my dad and his family when I was a kid, after my parents divorced.

After some investigation on Ancestry.com I found out who my great-grandmother was.....it was a woman called Frances Freeland.
The moment I saw her name and said it out loud, I went cold. It was as if I knew her, yet I'd never heard that name before

I couldn't find her birth certificate, but I could her death certificate. I bought it.

It turns out she died on 5th June 1930.......I was born 40 years to the day later on 5th June 1970!!
Not crap….

Another one of mine is…

I am an amazing Elvis impersonator… or so i am told. I was born one year after he died to the day.

I don’t believe in reincarnation though 🤣🤣🤣

Thankyou very much 😘
wearthefoxhat

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm
LeTiss wrote:

Not crap….

Another one of mine is…

I am an amazing Elvis impersonator… or so i am told. I was born one year after he died to the day.

Thankyou very much 😘
Glory Glory Hallelujah
weemac

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm
My freaky coincidence is that me and you used to drink in the same pub… we know the same people but only met through BA Forum.

Or two.😉
Errrm.....I used to drink in The Admiral too.
paspuggie48

Realrocknrolla wrote:

Or two.😉
If I recall I said I was from Scunny and you said your mate was from there and you used to visit Henry Afrikas.
I then said your mate will know Westcliff for sure and you said you used to go there too...
Then you said you used to go in the Desert Rat pub as well and I asked what your mate's name was and you said McGuire.
I said I didn't know many people by their surname, just their forename and then you showed me his pic and I was like "fook, I have been drinking with Andy for years"

Small world ! :lol:
sniffer66

About 35 years ago I was studying, but working part time at our local Waitrose - stacking shelves and on the tills. Like many supermarkets they employed quite a few middle aged women with children. I was friendly with most of the ladies and got to know their families when they came in to meet the mum's or shop.

Before settling down I decided to go backpacking around Australia for a year with a few friends. We arrived in Sydney and worked our way up to the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise. After a few weeks there I decided to set out on my own and hitched, over a period of weeks, up to Cairns, in tropical Queensland.

After a few days in Cairns, I'm wandering round and decide to drop in to a pub I'm walking past. I grab a beer and am stood at the bar when the door opens and in walks the 19 year old son of one of the women I'd been working in at Waitrose a few months previously ! I had no idea he was going to Oz and if I'd picked another pub or been there 30 minutes later I would have completely missed him. 16,000 km from home, in the middle of nowhere, and I bump into someone I know pretty well !
When I think about it the number of decisions and circumstances it took for us both to be there at that one place and point in time are mind boggling :)
paspuggie48

weemac wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:50 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Or two.😉
You did???

We used to call it the "The 'Admire'all"
Realrocknrolla

weemac wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:50 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Or two.😉
Not that one.

The Desert Rat.
paspuggie48

LeTiss wrote:

Yup, I mean out of all the days of the year...love it !
paspuggie48

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Not crap….

Another one of mine is…

Thankyou very much 😘
Ooh, I'm all shook up !!
jamesedwards

One of my automations, which by it's very makeup is a 50/50 chance of win vs loss, just hit 19 losses in a row. What are the chances? 1 in 524,288. Also another very good advert for antimartingaleism. :mrgreen:
andy28

This happened to my brother, went to Sydney on a business trip and checked into the Hotel the day before the meeting, he decided to go for a walk and have a look around. Went out on the street turn right and bumped into someone, turns out that person lives across the street from my brother. He was staying at the same hotel and altho they didn't have the same flight going to Aussie they were on the same one coming home.

What are the chances of that

Return to “Chill Out Area”