Freaky Coincidences?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
paspuggie48

andy28 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 am
This happened to my brother, went to Sydney on a business trip and checked into the Hotel the day before the meeting, he decided to go for a walk and have a look around. Went out on the street turn right and bumped into someone, turns out that person lives across the street from my brother. He was staying at the same hotel and altho they didn't have the same flight going to Aussie they were on the same one coming home.

What are the chances of that
Must be an Oz thing as my pal from Middlesbrough went to Oz too and out shopping in Sydney he bumped into his postman !
Shaung89

Maybe called a coincidence or just a 1000 shot...

Middle of Camp Bastion, Afghanistan in 2013. The camp was aliked to the size of 'Reading' with thousands of troops either based there or passing through onto forward bases accross the country every day.

Yet somehow I managed to bump into my best mate from school (knew he was in the army but no more) and my old football coach as a youngster in the NAAFI.

Great to quickly catch up on 10 years in 2 minutes but again, 30 seconds later we wouldn't have even known we were all out there!
Anbell

Not a coincidence but this caught my eye today on an account.
image_2021-09-26_180843.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

Cats.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

This man was invisible in more ways than one in the Atletico Madrid match yesterday

alexmr2

I don't remember many off the top of my head but the main one that comes to mind is I remember being in Edinburgh when I was younger and seeing a car numberplate (something like KRM5), I had saw a similar one where I lived (80 miles away) and thought it might be the same one and mentioned it to my parents, then 7-10 years later I was visiting a completely different part of Edinburgh and saw the exact same numberplate again parked in a driveway and then driving past me later on

The other ones that come to mind are when I'm listening to a song/audio book while walking/driving and see something that is mentioned in the song as it is mention e.g. a sheep :lol: . Or horse names often remind me of something or I might just be eating something like strawberries while trading a horse with strawberry in its name :lol:
Kai

That ​sounds like the frequency illusion Alex, or whatever that bias is called :)

I think most of what we perceive as coincidence is just psychology in a nutshell, since our mind thinks that things occur less often than they really do.

Ties in with the recency bias, if you hear "sheep" being mentioned your brain will sort of actively look for one, and then be amazed if it finds it! :D But if you see a sheep an hour later you won't even think twice about it, cuz it wasn't recent enough.

The human mind apparently has excellent pattern recognition skills, or so they say.
andy28

A word of advice if you are driving along and see sheep do not try and count them ;)
Kai

andy28 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:24 pm
A word of advice if you are driving along and see sheep do not try and count them ;)
:D
paspuggie48

3 in the past week...

The missus and I had a few days in St Ives last week but needed our friends to look after our dog. In return for their kindness, I thought I'd get them some wine...but something different for once. As they are musicians, I saw a bottle called "Jam Shed" and as I passed it to them I said "you like jammin, so you may like this". They loved it !! (come back to this in a bit)

So, on the way there we stopped off at Exeter Services for a coffee and the music playing in the background was Howard Jones, to which I mentioned to the missus. However, to my embarrassment it was actually Eurythmics...DOH !!

We get back in the car and continue the journey to St Ives...and 30mins later...only Howard Jones was played on the radio singing 'New Song'. Coincidence ! It's not every day you hear Howard Jones on the radio !

So, as I continue driving, we come up behind a BMW and it's number plate was T00 SHY..."no way", I said to the missus, "check to see if it's Limahl driving"....alas, no...it didn't look anything like him (come back to this in a bit).

So, on we go and get to the Castle and unpack and walk to the harbour....The first pub we go into and only bloody Bob Marley's song "Jammin' was playing ! My god, another coincidence !

Finally, today the missus and I went into town and as I'm about to park up only fookin Kajagoogoo comes on the radio singing "Too Shy" !!! Coincidence ! It's not every day you hear Kajagogoo on the radio !

WTF !!!
paspuggie48

I wrote in the Football section 10 days ago viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12637&start=5190

"I had the pleasure of meeting Billy Bremner when my mate married Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke's daughter, Sarah."

I watched a YT video last night with Professor Brian Cox and Jim Al-Khalili (often on BBC with Maths & Physics programmes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBrJxmLI7pE&t=560s

Jim mentions how he grew up in Baghdad in the 70s and how most kids in his class supported an English team and he supported Leeds United.

So Brian Coz says "were Leeds Utd big in Baghdad?"

Jim replies "They were huge, every kid in my class supported an English team. Leeds United at the time in the 70s were big",

...then he says "you know, Billy Bremner, Alan Clarke and so on"

I mean...WTF !
paspuggie48

Channel hopping this morning and as I got to Film4 HD 'Carry On Nurse' was on, which was filmed in 1959.

The first scene I saw was Wilfrid Hyde-White as a patient asking the Porter to put a bet on for him at Redcar.

...Redcar racing is on TODAY !
LeTiss

:lol: You are stretching these 'freaky coincidences' a bit far now

I went on Twitter this morning and saw someone using the word 'shit'....10 minutes before I had been sat on the toilet

What a coincidence :o
Kai

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 am
I went on Twitter this morning and saw someone using the word 'shit'....10 minutes before I had been sat on the toilet
What in the X-files is going on in this thread?!?!
paspuggie48

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 am
:lol: You are stretching these 'freaky coincidences' a bit far now

What a coincidence :o
I thought you were going to say "ten minutes later I was watching Southampton" :D :lol: :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”