Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
weemac

BBC Licence Fee to be abolished in 5 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/ ... ing-frozen

Looking out my best togs now to prepare to dance on its grave.

(Mind you, what odds Labour reverse the decision if they get in?)
ShaunWhite

weemac wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 pm

Hopefully it'll get proper funding now from subs. Worth double the licence fee for BBC4 and Radio4 alone. Nobody else makes intelligent output anymore.
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 pm
weemac wrote:

Hopefully it'll get proper funding now from subs. Worth double the licence fee for BBC4 and Radio4 alone. Nobody else makes intelligent output anymore.
Frankly, I don't know what all the BBC 'knockers' have an issue with! I mean, for around 3 quid per week, we get HOW MANY stations - both T.V. AND Radio AND without the poxy adverts!...
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
weemac wrote:

Frankly, I don't know what all the BBC 'knockers' have an issue with! I mean, for around 3 quid per week, we get HOW MANY stations - both T.V. AND Radio AND without the poxy adverts!...
I simply object to a luxury you may or may not want being a compulsory purchase.
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:

I simply object to a luxury you may or may not want being a compulsory purchase.
I do see your point. But aside from making the BBC a commercial backed station, I can't see how a 'beast' the size of the BBC can continue to function these days. Sadly, there is already far too much bias within the BBC, if advertisers get involved I reckon it'll become unbearable. Basically, as far as the 'Beeb' is concerned, we have far too much choice these days, so I'm not sure a subscription model will work either.
Derek27

After 20 odd years, I'm free from my Virgin Media contract. :D
greenmark

bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
bennyboy351 wrote:

I do see your point. But aside from making the BBC a commercial backed station, I can't see how a 'beast' the size of the BBC can continue to function these days. Sadly, there is already far too much bias within the BBC, if advertisers get involved I reckon it'll become unbearable. Basically, as far as the 'Beeb' is concerned, we have far too much choice these days, so I'm not sure a subscription model will work either.
My arguments for the BBC. Life on Earth, Jonathon Miller's "The Body in Question.". Brian Cox - Universe. Plus Rottweiler journo's like Paxman, Marr, Kuenssberg, Maitlis.
Blimey I could go on, there are more waiting Faisal Islam et al.
Then there's "light entertainment" Porridge, Open All Hours, Vicar of Dibley. Plus blockbuster series like Strictly, Bake Off (which don't really appeal to me, but they are hugely popular).
I could drivel on
My major problems with the Beeb are a) total inability to compete for live sport and b) witless content on the home website.
There you go.
The Beeb should be treasured. Think of the alternative. Paymasters dictating content.
Rant over. :-)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:

My arguments for the BBC. Life on Earth, Jonathon Miller's "The Body in Question.". Brian Cox - Universe. Plus Rottweiler journo's like Paxman, Marr, Kuenssberg, Maitlis.
Blimey I could go on, there are more waiting Faisal Islam et al.
Then there's "light entertainment" Porridge, Open All Hours, Vicar of Dibley. Plus blockbuster series like Strictly, Bake Off (which don't really appeal to me, but they are hugely popular).
I could drivel on
My major problems with the Beeb are a) total inability to compete for live sport and b) witless content on the home website.
There you go.
The Beeb should be treasured. Think of the alternative. Paymasters dictating content.
Rant over. :-)
However good something is, nobody should be forced to buy it.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm
Do you like everything and watch everything you pay for on Sky, Prime or Netflix?

I'd ask if you pay for the Fire Brigade and never use them but being a non-taxpayer, you don't :)
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm
Do you like everything and watch everything you pay for on Sky, Prime or Netflix?

I'd ask if you pay for the Fire Brigade and never use them but being a non-taxpayer, you don't :)
No, but I've chosen to buy it. The Sky anchorwomen are worth the money on their own. :D
weemac

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 am
No, but I've chosen to buy it. The Sky anchorwomen are worth the money on their own. :D
Bear in mind that if you see just one of them on your TV set for one minute in a calendar year........you're then forced to fund the entire output of a completely unrelated broadcasting organisation for the whole year.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:09 am
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 am
Bear in mind that if you see just one of them on your TV set for one minute in a calendar year........you're then forced to fund the entire output of a completely unrelated broadcasting organisation for the whole year.
You're not really forced to pay, you're just breaking the law by watching them. In effect, you become a peeping Tom. :)
Derek27

Beth Rigby's really taken BJ apart in today's interview. :D
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Not half as much as AC12 have!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1483419587542761472
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:11 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Not half as much as AC12 have!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1483419587542761472
Brilliant. :lol: :lol: Love the way he changes his jacket during the interview.

All those times I've been setting fire to park benches and nobody told me or erected a sign to say it's not in the park rules. :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”