Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:11 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:45 pm

I see it has an alarm button straight through to the police? Is it a bad neighbourhood? Is that a common thing over there?

You can get a house and land 4 times the size for same price in regional Australia :) China may one day bomb us, but I guess that's too far off to worry about right now...

... I got no idea, but I would say they best value would be places that have already or are currently being bombed....people have a nack of wanting to get out of bombed places while the bombings happening...
For £381K, you'd struggle to find a house like that in the UK. In London it would probably be £600K-£800K. I wouldn't mind retiring to Australia if you can get cheap property. I'm still waiting for a bit of decent weather over here.
There was an interesting article at the weekend about Australia saying that in 10 years time most parts will be inhabitable due to fires and flooding caused by climate change. Its too late to turn the clock back. It also went onto say that hardly anyone will be able to get property insurance.
Building insurance will be the least of your worries after the nuclear war. :)
johnsheppard

Derek27 wrote:
For £381K, you'd struggle to find a house like that in the UK. In London it would probably be £600K-£800K. I wouldn't mind retiring to Australia if you can get cheap property. I'm still waiting for a bit of decent weather over here.
In the capital cities of Au you'd pay similar sort of prices. It's a big, low populated place, so there's plenty of places with all the facilities outside of capitals (except for job prospects)...
Archery1969 wrote:
There was an interesting article at the weekend about Australia saying that in 10 years time most parts will be inhabitable due to fires and flooding caused by climate change. Its too late to turn the clock back. It also went onto say that hardly anyone will be able to get property insurance.
I don't know if I believe that. I mean probably 50% of the place is already uninhabitable cause the centre is a desert. Myself I am in a cyclone prone area (north east), and I believe my insurance premiums are about double what they are down south....Predominately the bulk of the population is in capital cities that don't care too much for the environment because they live in air conditioning :) .... The guys with million dollar properties right on the river always complain when it floods though... Humans have short memories and are very temperamental...

Presumably when Covid came along, in Melbourne, the prices dropped 3%...cause they were the only ones with an outbreak for a while...

I can only assume people in Ukraine are the same...like... at some point the war will end, and everyone will forget....but for now....gotta sell my stuff at bargain basement prices....
Archery1969

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:33 am
Derek27 wrote:
In the capital cities of Au you'd pay similar sort of prices. It's a big, low populated place, so there's plenty of places with all the facilities outside of capitals (except for job prospects)...
Archery1969 wrote:
I don't know if I believe that. I mean probably 50% of the place is already uninhabitable cause the centre is a desert. Myself I am in a cyclone prone area (north east), and I believe my insurance premiums are about double what they are down south....Predominately the bulk of the population is in capital cities that don't care too much for the environment because they live in air conditioning :) .... The guys with million dollar properties right on the river always complain when it floods though... Humans have short memories and are very temperamental...

Presumably when Covid came along, in Melbourne, the prices dropped 3%...cause they were the only ones with an outbreak for a while...

I can only assume people in Ukraine are the same...like... at some point the war will end, and everyone will forget....but for now....gotta sell my stuff at bargain basement prices....
Don't shoot the messenger:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61432462
johnsheppard

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:39 am

:) Sorry, I suppose I live in a Bubble. I'm ignorant of most those things they talk about in the article :| Just seems to me there's always someone whinging about something imo it makes reading the newspaper distasteful...

Presume, we made the purchase on Derek's block of land in Ukraine, paid the insurance premium, then down on our luck, a bomb falls on our house the very next day... surely the insurance company would pay out right? or is the 'no-bomb payout' in the fine print?
Derek27

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

:) Sorry, I suppose I live in a Bubble. I'm ignorant of most those things they talk about in the article :| Just seems to me there's always someone whinging about something imo it makes reading the newspaper distasteful...

Presume, we made the purchase on Derek's block of land in Ukraine, paid the insurance premium, then down on our luck, a bomb falls on our house the very next day... surely the insurance company would pay out right? or is the 'no-bomb payout' in the fine print?
I'm not a homeowner myself, but I thought war and earthquake damage is excluded from insurance payouts on properties?

Let's face it, if a 2 megaton thermonuclear device was detonated over London, the insurance companies themselves would be wiped out. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:13 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

I'm not a homeowner myself, but I thought war and earthquake damage is excluded from insurance payouts on properties?

Let's face it, if a 2 megaton thermonuclear device was detonated over London, the insurance companies themselves would be wiped out. :lol:
Lets hope they dont deploy one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba at 100 megaton it would destroy most of Europe. :o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:42 pm

Lets hope they dont deploy one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba at 100 megaton it would destroy most of Europe. :o
I wouldn't worry about that. The Tsar bomb was nothing more than an experiment. The bomb was so big the doors of the aircraft had to stay open and it was dropped by parachute, so it wouldn't have been of any practical use in a war. It was 50-58 megatons and a 100 megaton bomb wouldn't even destroy Wales, never mind half of Europe. :)

Missile systems have become much more accurate since then so massive yield bombs are no longer in the arsenals.
alexmr2

Looks like Putin's peace mission to stop the fighting is almost successful. BBC coverage has died down at the same time

https://goodwordnews.com/alexandra-wigr ... -mariupol/
Derek27

The biggest liar in Russia, Sergei Lavrov, says no sane person would see any sign of illness or ailment in the Russian leader. :lol:
Derek27

Another journalist, a Frenchman's been killed in Ukraine. It must take a lot of bottle to go in there and report from the front line.
Archery1969

Russia's hybpersonic zircon missile system being put into service for use against Ukraine.

If it works then could be a game changer unfortunately. :oops:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:29 am
Russia's hybpersonic zircon missile system being put into service for use against Ukraine.

They've already used hypersonic missiles. They won't have many left, they don't really need them as they can't attack any target that a sub-sonic missile won't and they're unlikely to have the capacity to manufacture more. I thought Zircon were anti-ship missiles.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:11 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:29 am

They've already used hypersonic missiles. They won't have many left, they don't really need them as they can't attack any target that a sub-sonic missile won't and they're unlikely to have the capacity to manufacture more. I thought Zircon were anti-ship missiles.
Launched from ships, I thought.
It's still all twaddle unless you're on the receiving end.
I've said before and will continue to do so. For a European country to unleash such violence on a neighbouring sovereign state in the 21st century is quite astonishing.
Archery1969

Russian Zircon Missile

Speed: Up to Mach 9 or 6,905 miles per hour
Range: Up to 680 miles
Targets: Sea and Land targets
Platforms: Submarine, Ship or Land based
Engine: Scramjet
firlandsfarm

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:45 pm
... I got no idea, but I would say they best value would be places that have already or are currently being bombed....people have a nack of wanting to get out of bombed places while the bombings happening...
I can remember seeing that house prices in Belfast were peanuts in the troubles (less than the plot value) but you needed cash and insurance was a problem. I could have been tempted but had no money ... wish I had.

Return to “Chill Out Area”