Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:19 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:20 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:48 am

Derek, I served in the forces. When I talk about a tactical nuke then I am talking about ones with a variable yield. It would still yield the same devastation as a nuclear weapon, the only difference would be no fall out. If your within a 30 mile radius then you will be toast one way or another as Joe Public won’t know what to do. If Putin were to drop 100 of those then blast radius stays the same. You just don’t die from the shit falling out of the sky. In theory, if everyone believes what Russia has then he could destroy all living material in Ukraine. And nothing would drift or harm countries adjoining.

The question for me is, would he actually do it. I think if he is backed into a corner, then yes, he will. If he does, he damned, if he doesn’t, he falls out of a window somewhere very cold.

The only difference with tactical variable yield nukes is the lack of fallout, the blast radius remains the same as does the shock. Your insides end up mushed. A bit like a high speed car crash whereby your internal organs fly forward against bone, blood vessels, archeries and muscle. The good news is you die instantly.
Technically, tactical nukes are short-range missiles. A 10-megaton warhead would be tactical if it was on a short-range rocket. But generally, when people talk about tactical nukes they mean low-yield battlefield weapons with friendly forces in the surrounding area. Those weapons wouldn't be easy to use.
Rumours are he is considering removing his forces and using multiple high yield tactical weapons of 20 megaton each, assuming he has them and they work, they would be devastating.
Rumours??
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:49 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:19 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:20 am

Technically, tactical nukes are short-range missiles. A 10-megaton warhead would be tactical if it was on a short-range rocket. But generally, when people talk about tactical nukes they mean low-yield battlefield weapons with friendly forces in the surrounding area. Those weapons wouldn't be easy to use.
Rumours are he is considering removing his forces and using multiple high yield tactical weapons of 20 megaton each, assuming he has them and they work, they would be devastating.
Rumours??
Some Chechen nut job commander in Ukraine was interviewed by a CNN reporter. He said the idea of using high yield tactical nukes had/was being further discussed after the west decided to give Zelensky the modern battlefield tanks.

Although the guy did sound like a total plank with hardly any teeth.
Derek27

A senior US general privately told Ben Wally that the British army is no longer considered a top-level defence force. We would run out of ammunition in a few days if called upon to fight and wouldn't have the capability to defend our skies from the level of bombardment that Ukraine is enduring.
to75ne

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:05 am
A senior US general privately told Ben Wally that the British army is no longer considered a top-level defence force. We would run out of ammunition in a few days if called upon to fight and wouldn't have the capability to defend our skies from the level of bombardment that Ukraine is enduring.
i am sure the uk will be fine. all those etonians and harrovians in charge have an abundance of british exceptionalism between them. what chance would johnny foreigner have against them? not a problem just project fear.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:05 am
That really depends on what ammunition he was talking about:

BAE Systems can produce over one million rounds per day of Small Arms Ammunition in 5.56mm and 7.62mm NATO calibres including ball, tracer and blank natures. Packaging configurations include carton, link and clip to suit operational and training requirements.

Having provided nearly all of the British Army’s requirements since 1940, we are trusted to provide high volumes of precision rounds that soldiers know they can rely on. Our long-term contract with the UK Ministry of Defence gives our business a solid and sustainable base.

We also have 16 x Sky Sabre Units, each one controls 24 missiles. They have 360 degrees 3D radar with a scanning range of 120km each. They are located at certain locations around the country. Using link 16 tactical data links they communicate with the Royal Navy, Royal Airforce and NATO countries. There are a further 500 missiles held by army logisitcs to replenish the Sky Sabre's that start to run short.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried.
Derek27

Boris the Liar says Putin threatened he could kill him in one minute. Delusional Dmitry Peskov, Putin's press secretary says he's lying. :)
Archery1969

Back in August 2022 - 3 Russian hypersonic missile and 2 Laser Pyhisics scientists were arrested on treason charges at the Siberian Science Academy. They were all charged with selling crucial hypersonic missile and laser information to China and the USA.

Nobody has seen or heard from them since. State media said 2 of them had died while in detention from natural causes.

I didn't know failing out of a window was down to natural causes. :lol:
Kai

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:16 pm
Back in August 2022 - 3 Russian hypersonic missile and 2 Laser Pyhisics scientists were arrested on treason charges at the Siberian Science Academy. They were all charged with selling crucial hypersonic missile and laser information to China and the USA.

Nobody has seen or heard from them since. State media said 2 of them had died while in detention from natural causes.

I didn't know failing out of a window was down to natural causes. :lol:
Well, technically, death by gravity is a natural cause. They have found quite the loophole there, I must admit.
Archery1969

Breaking news:

The US is to give Ukraine long range missiles worth $2.2 Billion. Pentagon official said ultimately its down to Ukraine on how they use them. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky thanked the US and President Joe Biden. Up until now the US would only supply Ukraine with missiles of a range under 50 miles, the new ones double that to 100 miles, give or take. Poland is to train Ukraine forces on the German L2 tanks.

I would think that's seriously going to piss of Putin who shortly might find himself flying out of a window. :lol:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 pm
I would think that's seriously going to piss of Putin who shortly might find himself flying out of a window. :lol:
If Putin can kill Buffoon Boris in one minute, I just hope they give him a minute's notice and a last request. :D
Archery1969

So, turns out the USA has been doing allot more than just supplying hardware and training Ukraine forces.

As let slip on BBC news channel they been providing them with minute by minute satellite information on Russian movements on the ground. Not only does this allow Ukraine to coordinate missile and artillery targets much better but also redeploy their forces much quicker to potential hotspots.

I am sure Russia probably knew this was going on but for it to be let slip on a international news channel is pretty dangerous and stupid escalation wise.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:01 pm
So, turns out the USA has been doing allot more than just supplying hardware and training Ukraine forces.

As let slip on BBC news channel they been providing them with minute by minute satellite information on Russian movements on the ground. Not only does this allow Ukraine to coordinate missile and artillery targets much better but also redeploy their forces much quicker to potential hotspots.

I am sure Russia probably knew this was going on but for it to be let slip on a international news channel is pretty dangerous and stupid escalation wise.
I would have assumed that would be the case.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:03 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Agreed but I don’t remember the USA publicly admitting to it. Presume they don’t give a toss. 😂
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Agreed but I don’t remember the USA publicly admitting to it. Presume they don’t give a toss. 😂
I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades. We are now in a "cold war" scenario, but if Putin was genuinely nuts he would have flipped already. He is evidently trying to figure out how to "win" without unleashing a conflagration.
One thing that is now evident is that the Russian armed forces are poorly equipped, incompetent, unmotivated, demoralised and that should rebound on Putin. His 2 weapons are nukes and control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:01 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades. We are now in a "cold war" scenario, but if Putin was genuinely nuts he would have flipped already. He is evidently trying to figure out how to "win" without unleashing a conflagration.
One thing that is now evident is that the Russian armed forces are poorly equipped, incompetent, unmotivated, demoralised and that should rebound on Putin. His 2 weapons are nukes and control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.

I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades.
Talking beyond the conspiratorial/spectacle narrative and given your rich experience in observing international politics - have there been precedents before when partners of many international and economic unions, military alliance (!!!), sharing a common ideology, same values, in the context of globalisation connectedness, attacked (bombed) the infrastructure of another partner (I'm not talking about Russia here), causing it economic damage, making it pay 4-fold more, ensnare its industry?

Sorry to ask, I'm just curious of this ethical tightrope-walking act of yours.
His 2 weapons are ... control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.
Way more than that, the man and his administration control the gov which controls at least 70% of countrie's economy (these are estimates before the start of the conflict) and is a dominant employer in Russia. This all-encompassing, permeating structure has been built up over the years. It's "soviet union 1.5".
Last edited by napshnap on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chill Out Area”