The spookiest thing you’ve ever seen or heard

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

I woke up at 10:02 on Monday morning - the very minute the Earth passed through winter solstice!
Derek27

Having a bet partially matched, leaving you greened up to the penny is pretty spooky. It's happened more than once!
ShaunWhite

Speaking of 'spooky' aka coincidences, More Or Less last week was talking about how we over estimate 'spookiness' and demonstrated it with the Birthday Paradox ....

If you go to a party, what's the fewest number of attendees for there to be a 50% chance two people will share a birthday?

...... It's just 23 !
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:33 am
Speaking of 'spooky' aka coincidences, More Or Less last week was talking about how we over estimate 'spookiness' and demonstrated it with the Birthday Paradox ....

If you go to a party, what's the fewest number of attendees for there to be a 50% chance two people will share a birthday?

...... It's just 23 !
my wife and nephew share the same b'day.. makes it easy for her to rmbr the honours i guess ;)
sniffer66

Talking of co-incidences...

I first went out with my (now) 2nd wife when I was 19. Didn't see her for 30 odd years, until we met up again 8 years ago.

In that time, we've both ended up with the exact same surname - her via her first marriage. We both have a son with the same first name and surname - they were born one day apart. My wife and her daughters first name and surname are exactly the same as 2 of my female cousins. Her daughter was born on the same date as me, but exactly 40 years later. My daughter was going to be called the same name as my wife's other daughter - but we changed it last minute, even though it's still very similar.

So many co-incidences, it's a little bit freaky.
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:14 am

I first went out with my (now) 2nd wife when I was 19. Didn't see her for 30 odd years, until we met up again 8 years ago.

In that time, we've both ended up with the exact same surname - her via her first marriage. We both have a son with the same first name and surname - they were born one day apart. My wife and her daughters first name and surname are exactly the same as 2 of my female cousins. Her daughter was born on the same date as me, but exactly 40 years later. My daughter was going to be called the same name as my wife's other daughter - but we changed it last minute, even though it's still very similar.

I'm just going to bed now and you got me thinking of some of the girls I knew 30 years ago. :lol: :D
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:26 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:14 am

I'm just going to bed now and you got me thinking of some of the girls I knew 30 years ago. :lol: :D

That's put a picture in my head I don't really want :D :D
Kai

Probably not very spooky but years ago when my gran passed away I went over to her house with my mother to help her tidy up and stuff, they were getting ready to sell the place so there was a lot to do. There was so much old stuff that my gran kept over the years, it felt so eerie and sad sorting through all of her old things and looking at old photographs everywhere, wishing I visited more and stuff, it felt wrong to just throw most of that stuff away. But anyway, few hours later we were almost done with the house and my mother went outside to have a look at the garden and the shed while I still had to sort through a big pile of dusty old books. Suddenly my gran's big old telephone started ringing, must have been years since I heard that type of sound, almost brought me back to a simpler time. Didn't really want to answer it at first, thinking it was a salesman or something, but it just kept ringing so I finally picked up. To my surprise it was my gran's next door neighbour who was a sweet old woman herself, I fondly remember her from my childhood, she said she wanted to speak to her daughter so she must have phoned the wrong number. I explained who I was and everything and we must have chatted for 10 minutes at least, catching up on family and stuff. After I hanged up the phone my mum walked in and was wondering who the hell was I talking to, I told her that sweet old lady from next door called on the old telephone, and then my mum said something I will never forget : "But she passed away years ago, poor old thing just collapsed one day while talking on the telephone with her own daughter". And then it hit me, I looked at the telephone and it was unplugged, it had been unplugged all along...
Kai

Sorry, didn't have time to finish the story right away.

...and then my mother started laughing, while holding the telephone cord in her hand, leaving me even more dazed and confused, for a brief moment at least. Anyway, she said the old lady is alive and well, but that she's been annoying everyone by ringing them on their landlines which people barely use anymore. And then we packed up the rest of the boxes and left the house. So like I said, probably not very spooky. And definitely did not get any chills writing that out.

Happy Halloween 🎃
Dublin_Flyer

I've a number of spooky or freaky things!
1) At my grandmothers funeral, a distant cousin who's a "clairvoyant" asked my dad and his brothers if my grandmother had any other daughters apart from Geraldine (still alive). They asked why, as it was a strange question. She said as the coffin was leaving the church she saw my grandmother floating above it following it and holding hands with a small girl. She had a stillborn girl before the living aunt was born, something that was never ever spoken about in the family, never mind distant cousins!

2) Above mentioned grandmothers husband was sick in hospital after his 9th heart attack (only 3rd major though!) around the time I was doing my "Mock" exams before my Leaving Cert (A-levels in UK) About 10 mins into my 2pm geography exam I got something that I can only explain as a twitch that felt like an electric shock that almost threw me out of my chair, with the corresponding UHH noise that caused the other 199 people in the school gym to turn and see was someone having a fit. Got collected later and my dad said We've got some bad news, your granda passed away. Was it just after 2? Yep.

3) My ex told me on a Friday she was going into hospital to have our baby induced early as the checks and scans indicated that the baby was uncomfortable so an ASAP delivery was best. Due date was 3 weeks away so I was still going into work that night, it's not like you can get from Dublin to Manila in a quick Ryanair flight anyway. Left work at 3am and half way home a pure black cat crossed my path. Knew in my heart I wasn't gonna get good news then the ex rang a few hours later, "Sorry babe, she didn't make it" Watched England beat Sweden 2-0 in the World Cup that day in absolute zombie mode.

4) One that hasn't got death involved. Walking around to meet the lads in the pub during the week long festival in the little town I used to live in. Saw somewhere between 5-7 moon sized circles red blue yellow purple green.....absolutely dancing in the sky. Like flipping over each other and zooming here and there, not like planes can do, nor helicopters. Got to the pub and none of my social group had seen it on their way, but a couple of others I spoke to had seen it and were equally amazed as I was. Wasn't drunk or doing drugs or lacking sleep or anything like that, just freaky shit.

5) Met Gemma Atkinson alone waiting for service at a bar in Dublin when she was one of the big Hollioakes names. 2 of my mates were working as blackjack dealer and roulette wheel thrower guy at one of those corporate type gigs where you get free tokens and get pints with your winnings. She was doing a celebrity appearance for whatever gig it was, but I hadn't a clue who she was, it was all Keeley Hazell getting the big media attention in those days for 2 huge reasons.
So I found out about 4 days later from reading a newspaper that had a picture of her in Dublin.....I'd been chatting to Gemma Atkinson like she was just some random English bird in Dublin on a Hen night or some shit like that, and we were getting on great. The freaky thing is lads....I think I coulda been in there if I held my bladder and didn't have to scurry off to the pisshouse :roll:
Derek27

In addition to cracking open a double yoke today, last night I dreamt a bus was driving down Knight's Hill (London) at speed, turned sharply into Robson Road and smashed into a marketplace that used to be there 30-odd years ago. People were shouting at the driver and calling him an idiot. :lol:

I can't remember if it overturned, but the first thing I saw when I switched on the TV was an overturned double-decker bus!
Emmson

For me its plain old Déjà vu that occasional occurrence that I've lived this moment before. And maybe I have it's one of Rummy's known unknowables.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the feeling I have that trees can be sinister and maybe even evil. Don't ask me to explain but on occasions I have passed a foreboding large tree and I've thought to myself, that tree is EVIL!
jimibt

Emmson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm
For me its plain old Déjà vu that occasional occurrence that I've lived this moment before. And maybe I have it's one of Rummy's known unknowables.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the feeling I have that trees can be sinister and maybe even evil. Don't ask me to explain but on occasions I have passed a foreboding large tree and I've thought to myself, that tree is EVIL!
yeah, especially on a low breeze evening in late autumn when you are walking home (half sozz'd) and you hear that unmistakable taunting creek of the tree in the wind.. scary stuff. actually almost quite appropriate for this time of year re the scottish bard himself (rabbie burns) and Tam o' Shanter. Some really evocative lines in that one.

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/Assets/Po ... hanter.htm
Derek27

The spooky thing about trees is when you see one blowing in the wind while the rest are dead still!
ShaunWhite

Emmson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm
For me its plain old Déjà vu that occasional occurrence that I've lived this moment before.
I remember reading once that deja vu might be caused by our brain storing the experience in long term memory first, rather than doing the usual check to see if it's there already. Sort of a duplicate index error.

I don't think trees are sinister, but they probably think we are.

Return to “Chill Out Area”