The spookiest thing you’ve ever seen or heard

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Trader Pat

When I was about 14 I saw a documentary on numbers stations and spent half the night listening to them while sitting in the dark, very creepy! :| I'll stick an article at the bottom for anyone not familiar with numbers stations.

Especially this one, the tune itself is creepy but then the voice about a minute in really made the hair stand up on the back of my neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQUD3IMbb4

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2017 ... ims-to-run
Korattt

frigging hooked on these number stations now, telling everyone at work about ‘em
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm
When I was about 14 I saw a documentary on numbers stations and spent half the night listening to them while sitting in the dark, very creepy! :| I'll stick an article at the bottom for anyone not familiar with numbers stations.

Especially this one, the tune itself is creepy but then the voice about a minute in really made the hair stand up on the back of my neck

What drugs are you on? Didn't do anything for me. ;)
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:47 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm

What drugs are you on? Didn't do anything for me. ;)
:lol: :lol:

Some of them are very... bureaucratic lets say, but some of them are pretty creepy. Imagine sitting there with a ham radio in the middle of the night and you come across one of those broadcasts and had no idea what it was :)

I always had an interest in history and particularly the Cold War so that might explain it, or maybe I watched too many horror movies as a child! :D
Derek27

I've never heard of number stations before but surely there's no use for them now - you can just send an email. :)
Trader Pat

Every time I open a beer this fly appears and sits on top of the bottle

When there's no beer there's no fly

I seem to be living with an alcoholic fly

I've decided to call him Jeff
Euler

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:08 pm
I was driving in the US when I pulled up to a set of lights. The truck in front of me had my internet banking password as it's number plate. It was so unbelievable I took a picture of it and changed my password when I reached my destination. I've never used just letters and numbers since.
For me, nothing has ever beaten this!
Trader Pat

That's a WTF moment!
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:46 pm
Every time I open a beer this fly appears and sits on top of the bottle

When there's no beer there's no fly

I seem to be living with an alcoholic fly

I've decided to call him Jeff
Last summer I almost swallowed a wasp that was in my beer!

Reminds me of the joke about the Scottish guy who pulled out a fly from his whiskey and said; "Spit it out". :lol:
Trader Pat

:D
Derek27

I woke up at 10:02 on Monday morning - the very minute the Earth passed through winter solstice!
Derek27

Having a bet partially matched, leaving you greened up to the penny is pretty spooky. It's happened more than once!
ShaunWhite

Speaking of 'spooky' aka coincidences, More Or Less last week was talking about how we over estimate 'spookiness' and demonstrated it with the Birthday Paradox ....

If you go to a party, what's the fewest number of attendees for there to be a 50% chance two people will share a birthday?

...... It's just 23 !
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:33 am
Speaking of 'spooky' aka coincidences, More Or Less last week was talking about how we over estimate 'spookiness' and demonstrated it with the Birthday Paradox ....

If you go to a party, what's the fewest number of attendees for there to be a 50% chance two people will share a birthday?

...... It's just 23 !
my wife and nephew share the same b'day.. makes it easy for her to rmbr the honours i guess ;)
sniffer66

Talking of co-incidences...

I first went out with my (now) 2nd wife when I was 19. Didn't see her for 30 odd years, until we met up again 8 years ago.

In that time, we've both ended up with the exact same surname - her via her first marriage. We both have a son with the same first name and surname - they were born one day apart. My wife and her daughters first name and surname are exactly the same as 2 of my female cousins. Her daughter was born on the same date as me, but exactly 40 years later. My daughter was going to be called the same name as my wife's other daughter - but we changed it last minute, even though it's still very similar.

So many co-incidences, it's a little bit freaky.

Return to “Chill Out Area”