Isle of Man TT

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Good to know we have bikers on here. :)
It's probably not too suprising, you take enough risk to make life fun, but not so much you can't live to tell the tale. That's trading all over.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
even down to doing the 'lifesaver' look over your right should.
That's similar to the "dutch reach" whereby learner drivers in the Netheralands are taught to open their car door with the hand furthest away from the door, reminding them to turn and look behind.
superfrank

I worked years ago with a few blokes that were bikers. One was killed when a car nudged him into the path of an oncoming truck and another lost a leg when a car went through a red light at a crossroads and hit him side on.
It must take balls to be a biker and balls of steel to race TT. Exhilarating just to watch.
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm
Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
even down to doing the 'lifesaver' look over your right should.
That's similar to the "dutch reach" whereby learner drivers in the Netheralands are taught to open their car door with the hand furthest away from the door, reminding them to turn and look behind.
Never heard if called that, but it sounds like a bloody good idea!

I've ridden bikes and driven cars and trucks since I was 16 (I'm 62 now - you do the maths lol) and having survived my younger, 'banzai' years, I'm now enjoying (on 4 wheels only) my later 'quick where I can be safey and drive with my brain as well as my balls' years.

IMHO, ALL prospective car drivers should be made to spend at least 6 months months learning to ride a moped or such, to give them a taste of the real dangers out there......
Trader Pat

Shame you cant strap F1 drivers to the back of TT racers when they're doing the Isle of Man, would make them appreciate what real balls are
greenmark

It's that time of year for bikers.

I'm hoping for a better year. These guys needs years of experience around a 37+ mile circuit.

I have fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed for these daredevils.

Just watching the practice is exhilarating.
Archangel

There may be a more extreme/ dangerous sport than this, but I can't think of one.
ShaunWhite

It's been good so far and next week looks even better.

They do make jump jockeys look like Mary Poppins though. Imagine a horseracing festival where 3 or 4 jockey deaths happened regularly.

Nice sunny day here, I'm going for a blast around those nice sticky roads :) Only 1/2 TT speed, but with 10% of their skill it's just as much fun.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:21 am
It's been good so far and next week looks even better.

They do make jump jockeys look like Mary Poppins though. Imagine a horseracing festival where 3 or 4 jockey deaths happened regularly.

Nice sunny day here, I'm going for a blast around those nice sticky roads :) Only 1/2 TT speed, but with 10% of their skill it's just as much fun.
No chance of any just stop oil nutters forming a protest line across the road of this or jumping out in front of the riders waving a banner about :)

Its something I've always wanted to go and see in person even if just the once to say I've been and experienced it, but must be cool living in one of those houses on the course were they are whizzing past your front door practically at150mph+
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 pm
There may be a more extreme/ dangerous sport than this, but I can't think of one.
I'm sure there are, but as a biker the skill of these guys just blows me away.
But there is another level. Imagine being a passenger on a sidercar round there. The mutual trust must be immense.
Dallas

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:26 pm
Archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 pm
I'm sure there are, but as a biker the skill of these guys just blows me away.
But there is another level. Imagine being a passenger on a sidercar round there. The mutual trust must be immense.
Once you've ridden a bike at speed you really do appreciate the nerve and skill required, to do this

Even track racing but at least you know the circuit is flat smooth with plenty of run off space where needed etc

Fastest I've ever ridden a bike is around 130mph (on an airstrip ;) ) but that scared the life out of me, thoughts like what will happen if I hit a pot hole, or small tree branch etc.
I remember not even daring to use the brake I was that focused on just keeping it in a straight line, instead I just let off the throttle until it got back down below 100mph - never again have I done anything like that speed
Archangel

Dallas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:05 pm

Once you've ridden a bike at speed you really do appreciate the nerve and skill required, to do this

Even track racing but at least you know the circuit is flat smooth with plenty of run off space where needed etc

Fastest I've ever ridden a bike is around 130mph (on an airstrip ;) ) but that scared the life out of me, thoughts like what will happen if I hit a pot hole, or small tree branch etc.
I remember not even daring to use the brake I was that focused on just keeping it in a straight line, instead I just let off the throttle until it got back down below 100mph - never again have I done anything like that speed
I saw an interview with one of the rider talking about how the guy who goes first is sometimes known as the 'road sweeper'. This is because there is wildlife all around the track, birds, rabbits etc. and the first bike will clear them off.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:

Fastest I've ever ridden a bike is around 130mph
Back in the 90s I took my XJR1200 (naked bikes are licence savers) in for an MOT and they gave me a Fireblade for the day :D . Took it down the A3, opened it right up and when I dared to look down I was doing 170. :shock: Slowed down to what felt like a crawl, relaxed my grip, sat up and nearly blew myself off the back because I was still doing 100. Narr you can keep your sportsbikes, 0-70 asap then 100 max is plenty for me courtesy of a massive back cog. ;)

Hardest part of going quick is changing direction because of the huge gyroscopic effect of the wheels, hence lightweight magnesium if the budget stretches to it. And non bikers don't realise that to go left you steer right, if in doubt push the left bar with one finger and see which way it goes.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:16 pm
Dallas wrote:

Fastest I've ever ridden a bike is around 130mph
Back in the 90s I took my XJR1200 (naked bikes are licence savers) in for an MOT and they gave me a Fireblade for the day :D . Took it down the A3, opened it right up and when I dared to look down I was doing 170. :shock: Slowed down to what felt like a crawl, relaxed my grip, sat up and nearly blew myself off the back because I was still doing 100. Narr you can keep your sportsbikes, 0-70 asap then 100 max is plenty for me courtesy of a massive back cog. ;)

Hardest part of going quick is changing direction because of the huge gyroscopic effect of the wheels, hence lightweight magnesium if the budget stretches to it. And non bikers don't realise that to go left you steer right, if in doubt push the left bar with one finger and see which way it goes.
You can also shift your weight on the footrests to affect direction. A mate of mine that raced said also you can drag the back brake rather than lift off, it gives better balance.
But he despised speeding on the open road. He thought it was plain stupid. As a racer he had control of most of the variables, on the road he felt he had so little control of too many variables that it wasn't worth the risk. And that's someone that did the TT.
greenmark

Just watching the Sidecar replays. I'm getting serious bucket list pangs. How do you conviince a VW Polo driver that the TT is a good idea?

Return to “Chill Out Area”