Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
alexmr2

Recently found out I've been offered a job related to my qualifications (engineering). It's been while since I worked for someone else but I don't see myself making a living from Betfair any time soon.

I also trade collectible cards on ebay (e.g. buy one for £100 and sell for £150), but again it would be a struggle to live from that alone.

I imagine I'll still be trading on Betfair even if I only fit an hour or two in a few times a week, personally I find that a quality hour can be more productive than trading all day and ending up mentally drained anyway.

Time could be a struggle but not giving up on Betfair yet, hopefully one day I'll crack manual trading or get round to trying some automation
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:06 pm
Recently found out I've been offered a job related to my qualifications (engineering). It's been while since I worked for someone else but I don't see myself making a living from Betfair any time soon.

I also trade collectible cards on ebay (e.g. buy one for £100 and sell for £150), but again it would be a struggle to live from that alone.

I imagine I'll still be trading on Betfair even if I only fit an hour or two in a few times a week, personally I find that a quality hour can be more productive than trading all day and ending up mentally drained anyway.

Time could be a struggle but not giving up on Betfair yet, hopefully one day I'll crack manual trading or get round to trying some automation
Many people on here work and trade part-time, so there's no reason to stop trading. You might just need to reorganise your time. Good luck if you decide to take it and don't bore your workmates with conspiracy theories. ;)
greenmark

alexmr2 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:06 pm

Hope the job works out if you decide to take it. Working for someone else is just a game in the end. Keep your nose clean, nurture good relationships and learn how to manage/endure bad ones. Good luck alexmr2.
Derek27

BJ's been fined! We're now proud citizens of a country being led by a criminal. :D :D

I bet Putin doesn't break his own laws!
Derek27

The Chancellor's got a fine as well, to go with his green card and wife's tax avoidance. :D
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:53 pm
The Chancellor's got a fine as well, to go with his green card and wife's tax avoidance. :D
Non-dom tax status was introduced in 1799 by William Pitt the Younger. All Governments of all colour (Liberal and Labour as well as Conservative) have overseen the application of it for more than 220 years and seen fit not to change it. His wife did nothing illegal and nothing different to the hundreds of non-doms who have exercised their right under this long established law. I'm sure that will include non-doms who have supported all political parties but as is the modern trend let's not let facts that put the situation in perspective get in the way of fake sensationalism!

How many taxpayers take decisions to ensure they pay more tax than they have to?

How many current non-doms support other political parties?

Derek, when did you last do something to increase your tax bill? In fact you are doing the opposite, you have chosen to earn an income that is outside taxation. You are exercising your right to avoid paying tax. So you are in the same (tax) camp as her!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:48 pm
BJ's been fined! We're now proud citizens of a country being led by a criminal. :D :D

Sorry Derek but more fake sensationalism! Boris is not a criminal, the offence was not a criminal offence just like if you or I brake the speed limit and pay a FPN we are not criminals ... yes we broke the law but not the criminal law. :D
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:11 am
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:53 pm
Non-dom tax status was introduced in 1799 by William Pitt the Younger. All Governments of all colour (Liberal and Labour as well as Conservative) have overseen the application of it for more than 220 years and seen fit not to change it. His wife did nothing illegal and nothing different to the hundreds of non-doms who have exercised their right under this long established law. I'm sure that will include non-doms who have supported all political parties but as is the modern trend let's not let facts that put the situation in perspective get in the way of fake sensationalism!

How many taxpayers take decisions to ensure they pay more tax than they have to?

How many current non-doms support other political parties?

Derek, when did you last do something to increase your tax bill? In fact you are doing the opposite, you have chosen to earn an income that is outside taxation. You are exercising your right to avoid paying tax. So you are in the same (tax) camp as her!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I said "to go with his green card and wife's tax avoidance" I was referring to them as embarrassments, not wrong-doings.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:16 am
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:48 pm

Sorry Derek but more fake sensationalism! Boris is not a criminal, the offence was not a criminal offence just like if you or I brake the speed limit and pay a FPN we are not criminals ... yes we broke the law but not the criminal law. :D
Okay, I'll settle for blatant law-breaker. :D
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:20 pm
"blatant" ... interesting, and you have evidence of this?

Did Captain Hindsight act "blatantly" when he had a beer with colleagues? And what about The Krankie, did she at the hairdressers?
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:19 pm
When I said "to go with his green card and wife's tax avoidance" I was referring to them as embarrassments, not wrong-doings.
I don't see why to act as probably every non-dom has acted since 1799 should be an embarrassment! Are you embarrassed that you live on untaxed income?
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:20 pm
"blatant" ... interesting, and you have evidence of this?

Did Captain Hindsight act "blatantly" when he had a beer with colleagues? And what about The Krankie, did she at the hairdressers?
Yes. BJ said to Parliament that no parties took place, all rules were followed at the parties that didn't place, the parties that didn't take place did take place but he had no knowledge of them and was horrified and blamed the people who organised and attended them, he attended some of the parties that didn't take place but wasn't aware that he was attending a party. Finally, he broke the rules but it doesn't matter because he's paid the fine and there's a war going on in Ukraine.

In legal terms, you would call it inherently improbable that he's telling the truth and that he's an unreliable witness. In non-legal terms he's a lying git.

Starmer was having lunch. Does it make any difference whether he had a beer or Coke? Were the others drinking? Was the purpose of the people in the room a social gathering? Was wine and cheese present? Did he deny anything until he was caught?

It's no comparison.
Last edited by Derek27 on Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:39 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:19 pm
I don't see why to act as probably every non-dom has acted since 1799 should be an embarrassment! Are you embarrassed that you live on untaxed income?
No, but I'm not the Chancellor. Clearly they are embarrassed enough for her to voluntarily pay taxes. In Sunak's case, it's more about irony than wrong-doings but it will hurt the party knowing that voters struggling to make ends meet and not getting any help from the Chancellor (and perhaps a £50 penalty notice for having a drink with a friend ;) ) will know that the Chancellor's wife is at least getting a few million relief, and it's legal. :)
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:21 pm
Clearly they are embarrassed enough for her to voluntarily pay taxes.
Embarrassed or bullied!
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:19 pm
Starmer was having lunch. Does it make any difference whether he had a beer or Coke? Were the others drinking? Was the purpose of the people in the room a social gathering? Was wine and cheese present? Did he deny anything until he was caught?

It's no comparison.
Until it can be agreed what is the definition of "a party" and therefore what is and is not a party there is much comparison. Sounds a bit classist if wine and cheese can constitute a party but beer or Coke and a cheese sandwich cannot! There was nothing for him to deny until he was caught and when he was 'caught' the evidence was there and could not be denied. It was not played drip feed. Same with The Krankie.

Return to “Chill Out Area”