Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 pm
I know I shouldn't be ranting on the happy thread, but learning to use BA was a piece of piss compared to this flipping coffee machine. No instructions, just pictures!

It may seem cool popping in a pod, pressing a button and having coffee dispensed but it doesn't taste like ground coffee, or even any better than my regular instant coffee.
Did you remember to set a stored value for ground coffee?
Derek27

I've just got off my lazy trading arse and did a workout on my multigym. Feel so much better for it, I'd forgotten what it's like to sweat. :D
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:51 am
I'd forgotten what it's like to sweat. :D
Still no luck on the dating scene then? ;)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
No instructions, just pictures!
I hate those, 1 page of hieroglyphics and a 200 page book with warnings in 35 languages.

The ESE compatible coffee machines are good that use the paper bags/pods. No mess, no being tied to a brand, compostable and good taste/smell. I'm not sure what the Tassimo pods cost but the ESE pods I get from Amazon are about 25p ea. Some of these machines are like printers, almost free but the ink is an arm and a leg. Our machine wasn't exactly cheap but running costs are low....but it leaks like a sieve unless you keep replacing the seal, and sometimes you need to hang on to the handle or it un-latches itself if you don't keep it surgically cleaned. Frankly a PITA for cup of coffee but that's addiction for you. :)
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
No instructions, just pictures!
I hate those, 1 page of hieroglyphics and a 200 page book with warnings in 35 languages.

The ESE compatible coffee machines are good that use the paper bags/pods. No mess, no being tied to a brand, compostable and good taste/smell. I'm not sure what the Tassimo pods cost but the ESE pods I get from Amazon are about 25p ea. Some of these machines are like printers, almost free but the ink is an arm and a leg. Our machine wasn't exactly cheap but running costs are low....but it leaks like a sieve unless you keep replacing the seal, and sometimes you need to hang on to the handle or it un-latches itself if you don't keep it surgically cleaned. Frankly a PITA for cup of coffee but that's addiction for you. :)
You can get this one from Lidl for £35, though they claim its original price was £100. At £4.50 for 16, it's just a little over 25p a cup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TASSIMO-Drinks ... RydWU&th=1
sniffer66

I treated myself to one of those about 6 months ago. Not cheap but much better coffee than a pod, automated milk frother and pennies per cup. Well worth it in the long run

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1
ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:18 am
I treated myself to one of those about 6 months ago. Not cheap but much better coffee than a pod
It's the little over engineered plastic pods I don't like, the generic paper ones have a wider range too. Bean to cup was tempting but I like a decaf espresso but I don't want to keep swapping the beans.
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 am
sniffer66 wrote:
I treated myself to one of those about 6 months ago. Not cheap but much better coffee than a pod
It's the little over engineered plastic pods I don't like, the generic paper ones have a wider range too. Bean to cup was tempting but I like a decaf espresso but I don't want to keep swapping the beans.
I'm also wary of the environmental impact of pods, and Nescafe's record on worker exploitation, as well as the cost,. So that helped the decision.

Mine has a separate one drink dispenser for ground coffee, so do have the option of a decaf without swapping the beans
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
I treated myself to one of those about 6 months ago. Not cheap but much better coffee than a pod, automated milk frother and pennies per cup. Well worth it in the long run

You're flipping right, it ain't cheap. :lol:
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:37 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 am
sniffer66 wrote:
I'm also wary of the environmental impact of pods, and Nescafe's record on worker exploitation, as well as the cost,. So that helped the decision.

Mine has a separate one drink dispenser for ground coffee, so do have the option of a decaf without swapping the beans
I actually tried opening up a pod to at least chuck the coffee in the food waste, even if the plastic isn't recyclable, but it wasn't easy.
Trader Pat

I get my coffee from a jar and if I'm feeling fancy Starbucks
ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
Which one is that? From what I can tell if you can find the right insert for the sump(?) then anything could take ese pods too. But fresh ground would be best.... Those paper pods are fine but they wrap each one in its own foil/plastic pouch which is a shame.
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:20 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Which one is that? From what I can tell if you can find the right insert for the sump(?) then anything could take ese pods too. But fresh ground would be best.... Those paper pods are fine but they wrap each one in its own foil/plastic pouch which is a shame.
The one I linked above Shaun. Bean to cup with the option to use a scoop of ground as a one off brew, without removing the existing beans

ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:20 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
The one I linked above Shaun. Bean to cup with the option to use a scoop of ground as a one off brew, without removing the existing beans

Thx. Sorry, I missed the prev link.
Derek27

I bet operating the Burrough's B1900 was a doddle compared to that coffee machine. :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”