Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 pm
btw one bit of bad news about your retirement, Anne Robinson is absolutely rubbish at hosting Countdown :D
As long as Rachel Riley's still doing the letters, he'll have a happy retirement.

I just googled Rachel to find out her surname and Riley popped up before I could even type countdown! It's almost as though they can read my mind!
jamesg46

Thank's BF, I'm happy but in the back of my mind i'm starting to think this is happening far too often. "If something seems too good to be true...".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Silk Run

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:54 pm
Thank's BF, I'm happy but in the back of my mind i'm starting to think this is happening far too often. "If something seems too good to be true...".
You may regress a comment I made previously on another topic ;)
jamesg46

The Silk Run wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:23 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:54 pm
You may regress a comment I made previously on another topic ;)
Can't remember it :?
ShaunWhite

Two in a month Derek...starting to think it's linked to my turnover which has been up recently. Or linked to my returns which have been less than avg and this is a sweetner.
Screenshot_8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goat68

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:54 pm
Two in a month Derek...starting to think it's linked to my turnover which has been up recently. Or linked to my returns which have been less than avg and this is a sweetner.
Screenshot_8.jpg
Even I got a £5'er, put it on a horse and it lost, doh!
Trader Pat

Everyone who chooses the 5% commission plan gets a free £5 exchange bet every month
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Screenshot_8.jpg
Even I got a £5'er, put it on a horse and it lost, doh!
Didn't you close your position? :) Thanks to my prowess as a manual trader I turned my 50 into 46.50.
ShaunWhite

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:42 pm
Everyone who chooses the 5% commission plan gets a free £5 exchange bet every month
Who chooses 5%?
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Who chooses 5%?
I suppose people new to the exchange would choose it. Free bet every month and the cash race might tempt them
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Screenshot_8.jpg
It's curious, I've not used a free bet yet anywhere, or placed a single arb etc, it may be an ego thing or something :D
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
Who chooses 5%?
I'm on 2% and watching my lifetime commission percentage dwindle. There will come a point when I'll have to increase my commission rate to stop my lifetime rate getting near 10%. At least I'll have a precious free bet to look forward to every month. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:39 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
Who chooses 5%?
I'm on 2% and watching my lifetime commission percentage dwindle. There will come a point when I'll have to increase my commission rate to stop my lifetime rate getting near 10%. At least I'll have a precious free bet to look forward to every month. :)
Free bets are for mug punters Derek, not for you :) You're a trader, you can LITERALLY create your own free bets :lol:

Tbh 5% or 8% can be helpful if you need to catch up on comms overall, even though BF apparently steals a bit more from it but don't think anyone cares that much. As a foreigner I was used to like 5-7% base comms from the start, something like that.

Just wish I wasn't woeful at value betting, completely neglected that skill, didn't seem important or useful for a trader, so will probably have to put some effort in that direction in the next few years.
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:38 pm
Just wish I wasn't woeful at value betting, completely neglected that skill, didn't seem important or useful for a trader
You can't make money 'trading' unless you're also getting overall value.

At the end of the year you've just got a whole load of backs and lays that won or lost. The fact Betfair draw a line across your results for each market which shows an interim profit or loss is neither here nor there.

...but, this is Happy Corner not Maths Corner so I'll leave it there. :)
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:11 pm
...but, this is Happy Corner not Maths Corner so I'll leave it there. :)
If it was the Maths Corner I'd avoid it like the plague :D
Luckily it's the Happy Corner so every post warrants a smiley :)

Although I'm well aware of that little conundrum, I suspect it's going to be a mental switch more than anything, not tried to do it yet since I'm closer to the other end of the spectrum, the risk averse one.

But yeah, value betting actually seems pretty clean and efficient, you place your bets and work is done, don't have to worry about market outcomes etc, plus less comms hassle overall. I do quite like the romance of manual trading and pitting your wits against the market on a daily basis almost so wouldn't want to give that up, but overtrading a market is far from efficient.

Return to “Chill Out Area”