Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

Another step forward.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63950962

But I do wonder how OPEC and the nuclear fission based energy industry view this. They have a massive vested interest in the current status quo that fission would make obsolete.
Well assuming battery tech continues to develop.
Interesting though.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:12 pm
Another step forward.

But I do wonder how OPEC and the nuclear fission based energy industry view this. They have a massive vested interest in the current status quo that fission would make obsolete.
Interesting though.
It's a long, long, long way off. At the moment, they're at the Red Dwarf stage where they managed to turn one strawberry into three, and in doing so blew-up the entire spaceship. But if all goes well, in a few decades they may be able to produce a limitless amount of power from seawater and an endless supply of strawberries. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:36 pm
greenmark wrote:
Another step forward.

Interesting though.
It's a long, long, long way off. At the moment, they're at the Red Dwarf stage where they managed to turn one strawberry into three, and in doing so blew-up the entire spaceship. But if all goes well, in a few decades they may be able to produce a limitless amount of power from seawater and an endless supply of strawberries. :D
Perhaps it is. Cynics (like me) would suggest the incumbent energy giants don't want this and have been trying to stop it for yonks.
How long did the tobacco companies manage to crush any research that proved smoking caused lung disease and cancer. Answer: decades.
Fusion is an existential threat to massively powerful organisations and countries (which also employ vast numbers of people), so if it wasn't introduced in a structured way it would dwarf the effect of for example, the coal-mining industries demise.
But it must surely be something that humanity should focus on trying to develop rather than trying to stop.
I would be interested to know how the main players in this (US, Soviet Union, European Union and Japan) are getting along right now. It seems like they have the Holy Grail within reach but may not all be that enthusiastic with moving forward as fast as possible.
If one country was to solve the problem of making it a commercial reality they would rule the world.
Tricky innit.
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Another step forward.

Interesting though.
Perhaps it is. Cynics (like me) would suggest the incumbent energy giants don't want this and have been trying to stop it for yonks.
How long did the tobacco companies manage to crush any research that proved smoking caused lung disease and cancer. Answer: decades.
Fusion is an existential threat to massively powerful organisations and countries (which also employ vast numbers of people), so if it wasn't introduced in a structured way it would dwarf the effect of for example, the coal-mining industries demise.
But it must surely be something that humanity should focus on trying to develop rather than trying to stop.
I would be interested to know how the main players in this (US, Soviet Union, European Union and Japan) are getting along right now. It seems like they have the Holy Grail within reach but may not all be that enthusiastic with moving forward as fast as possible.
If one country was to solve the problem of making it a commercial reality they would rule the world.
Tricky innit.
I naively hope that a democratic refusal of the status quo exists within our progeny and debate on the above is moot..

back to reality!! much like the (non everlasting lightbulb - Phoebus cartel) business challenges will always be met with strong resistance. after-all, business models evolve FAR slower than the decline of the planet (this is now an actual truth). thus we are teetering on a literal icy precipice.

My kids even talk about the worry of bringing kids into the world. I feel this is of course an overreaction - however, i'm a plus 50, so have enjoyed the benefits of an exploitative 50 years of *innovation*.. tis tough..

<understatement>
BUT - as a society, we do TEND to get involved when things look a bit *iffy*
</end understatement>

anywayz.. t'is Happy corner :D :)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Another step forward.

Interesting though.
Tricky innit.
Don't go down the CT route. ;) People have been claiming we have the technology to develop solar-powered cars capable of 200 mph that can somehow work even when the sun isn't shining, a sort of solar power that doesn't require solar power, but the energy giants have kidnapped the inventor. Mysteriously, instead of killing him and destroying the design, they've locked him in a cell, sellotaped his mouth and hidden the documents in a place you won't think of looking. :)

The fusion technology is so far away I'm sure they'll have far more immediate problems to deal with. I don't know anything about the tobacco companies trying to suppress research but researchers in the sixties wouldn't have the sort of security that nuclear reactors and research laboratories have. :)
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:39 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Tricky innit.
Don't go down the CT route. ;) People have been claiming we have the technology to develop solar-powered cars capable of 200 mph that can somehow work even when the sun isn't shining, a sort of solar power that doesn't require solar power, but the energy giants have kidnapped the inventor. Mysteriously, instead of killing him and destroying the design, they've locked him in a cell, sellotaped his mouth and hidden the documents in a place you won't think of looking. :)

The fusion technology is so far away I'm sure they'll have far more immediate problems to deal with. I don't know anything about the tobacco companies trying to suppress research but researchers in the sixties wouldn't have the sort of security that nuclear reactors and research laboratories have. :)
will ping a link when i recall it, but there's a great (netflix/bbc ??) docu that unveils the evils of philip morris as well as exon in this commercial space...
Derek27

Eggs are back on the shelves. :D

Hope King Charles doesn't go on walkabouts over Christmas. :)
Emmson

I stumbled on East Bound and Down - Jerry Reed and it made me happy. :P

I may need to view Smokey And The Bandit to pay further homage to Jerry Reed.
ShaunWhite

:lol: I don't know who here knows the Olive and Mabel vids Andrew Cotter does
IMG-20230109-WA0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

I found a flask that seems to keep liquid hot for longer than any other flask I've tried. :)

A good flask like a good bike or a betfair deposit can pay for itself in a short period of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Korattt

Emmson wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:08 pm
I found a flask that seems to keep liquid hot for longer than any other flask I've tried. :)

A good flask like a good bike or a betfair deposit can pay for itself in a short period of time.

bought a heated blanket over Christmas, probably the best thing I’ve ever bought
Derek27

Greta Whatshername has been arrested and detained by police. :D
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:28 pm
How does that make you happy :?
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:51 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:28 pm
How does that make you happy :?
We won't hear any blah blah blah from her while she's detained. :D

I'm all for saving the planet but I can't stand people with a mental age of 10 who think they're exceptionally clever and should lead the way to solving the problem, nor the hypocrisy of people who demand a reduction in petrol-driven cars before getting a cab home!

Return to “Chill Out Area”