Happy Corner

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:09 pm
Being on the back is way worse than being on the front. I wouldn't do it 😬. I'm glad I didn't get my bike licence till I was 30 (classic post divorce thing) by that age you're chicken enough to stay in one piece and wise enough to assume every other road user might be an idiot.
Might be an idiot? That's more generous than many people I know who assume everybody else on the road is an idiot. ;)

I've been on the back of my brother's bike a few times when I was younger and he kept complaining that I'm not sitting naturally and unbalancing the bike. I don't know if I was leaning into the corners or trying to stay upright but perhaps you need to ride a bike yourself to be a good passenger. :)
I agree… definitely felt that I didn’t know how to be the pavilion.
ShaunWhite

It's tricky being a guy on the back. Ideally you sit as close you can with your arms wrap round their waist.... But that's a bit errrr.... too friendly?
firlandsfarm

I used to commute 30 miles each way by bike (VFR750 for those in the know). One of the secretaries in the office at a prolonged lunch session (I would testify in BJ's defence! :lol: ) she said she would like to go for a ride on the back so one sunny day I took the wife's leathers etc. in for her (no jokes :D ). We went about 10 maybe 15 mile round trip then stopped at a nice pub on the way back and chatted. She remarked how on 3 occasions I had to 'avoid' a cars that didn't seem to realise I was there and that she would certainly remember that when driving her car.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:06 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:32 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Maybe those bat & ball players weren’t scared of the injection, maybe they have had all previous vaccines injected, which would suggest they’re neither scared nor anti vax… maybe they just didn’t want to be injected with something that isn’t a vaccine by the very definition.
If they didn't have a problem taking it previously, and therfore shouldn't have a problem having another even though it would be unnecessary, then what was all that fuss in Aus about with one of them? But I don't care about them tbh, it was just an observation about commitment. NH jockeys and bike racers are actually worthy of admiration.
No idea, just saying that people who have had previous injections to covid aren’t necessarily scared of being injected, nor could they possibly be anti vax if they’ve had previous vaccines pre covid. Could be any reason & like yourself, I don’t care it’s their choice.

Have to agree when it comes to motorbike racing, I once got on the back of my father in law’s R1, that was the first and last time… My eyes couldn’t feed information to my brain fast enough to keep up with the speed we were going, it was like an eye watering blurred tunnel vision effect. When I got off my legs were literally shaking. Those professional riders are made up from something the general human like myself isn’t, I’m not sure what it is but I’ll just admire them doing what they do.
Thrill-seekers baffle me. Bungee jumping? WTF!
But hopping on the back of an R1 with a rider that is even slightly tryng to impress must be squeaky bum time. I rode for years but only twice on pillion. Once on a KH350 once on a CB750. The lack of control was a nightmare. Riding a bike is a joy, pillion is abnormal.
jamesg46

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:32 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:06 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:32 pm

If they didn't have a problem taking it previously, and therfore shouldn't have a problem having another even though it would be unnecessary, then what was all that fuss in Aus about with one of them? But I don't care about them tbh, it was just an observation about commitment. NH jockeys and bike racers are actually worthy of admiration.
No idea, just saying that people who have had previous injections to covid aren’t necessarily scared of being injected, nor could they possibly be anti vax if they’ve had previous vaccines pre covid. Could be any reason & like yourself, I don’t care it’s their choice.

Have to agree when it comes to motorbike racing, I once got on the back of my father in law’s R1, that was the first and last time… My eyes couldn’t feed information to my brain fast enough to keep up with the speed we were going, it was like an eye watering blurred tunnel vision effect. When I got off my legs were literally shaking. Those professional riders are made up from something the general human like myself isn’t, I’m not sure what it is but I’ll just admire them doing what they do.
Thrill-seekers baffle me. Bungee jumping? WTF!
But hopping on the back of an R1 with a rider that is even slightly tryng to impress must be squeaky bum time. I rode for years but only twice on pillion. Once on a KH350 once on a CB750. The lack of control was a nightmare. Riding a bike is a joy, pillion is abnormal.
Not into it myself tbh, I’ll stick to taking risk on the ladders. Thanks for the subtle slice of education there, I’d had a few by then, not that I probably would have got it right if sober.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 am
I used to commute 30 miles each way by bike (VFR750 for those in the know). One of the secretaries in the office at a prolonged lunch session (I would testify in BJ's defence! :lol: ) she said she would like to go for a ride on the back so one sunny day I took the wife's leathers etc. in for her (no jokes :D ).
I did the long all-weather commute for years too (xjr1200) and 2yrs as a courier. I met wife v2.0 that way. I drew up alongside her car at the lights, she rolled down the window said "nice bike", I said "do you want a ride", she said "follow me and I'll get my helmet" ( ffs :shock: bluff well and truely called!). Anyway I followed and it turned out she lived 2 doors down from me but we'd never seen each other before. And it isn't a village this was Croydon, I wondered where the hell I was following her to. That was 26 yrs ago.
ShaunWhite

...i'm still wondering how you got your wife to lend you her leathers.....esp as they must have fittted the secretary, so she knew she was a shape you liked :lol:
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:08 pm
And it isn't a village this was Croydon, I wondered where the hell I was following her to. That was 26 yrs ago.
It was Croydon I commuted to from East Sussex!
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:04 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:08 pm
And it isn't a village this was Croydon, I wondered where the hell I was following her to. That was 26 yrs ago.
It was Croydon I commuted to from East Sussex!
:) Small world. I did years going from there up to London Bridge, but my worst was doing 3yrs of 35mls each way for a contract support job in Swindon. 6am starts (six!) in the depth of winter were absolute murder. Then you'd roast all day because you've got thermals on under your suit, trying to building up a nice head of steam for the ride back. It's cold even on a sunny day so effectively sitting in 70mph sleet at 5:30am is just a sick joke....as I'm sure you know!

Reminds me I saw YT vid where a Californian was asking a bike instructor if you could ride a 'motorcycle' in the rain. :lol:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 pm
I don't know if I was leaning into the corners or trying to stay upright but perhaps you need to ride a bike yourself to be a good passenger. :).
I was thinking about this today when I was out on the bike and you're basically sat on two big gyroscopes so moving your weight does f-all. And the gyroscopic effect is so strong that once you're doing above about 20mph then to turn left you actually have to steer right. When you see people hanging off the bike it's to keep it as upright as possible, trying to beat centrifugal (or centripetal?) forces . Slow speed is different, you try to say vertical and you push the bike down, and steer as you'd expect. It's all a bit physicsy but explains how doing 150 is easy but you end up paddling around in carparks like a learner when you're doing 5mph without your gyroscopes.
Derek27

I'm officially an empathetic person. :D

Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Time to shut down all your computers and stop trading. 32ºC on the morrow. :D :D
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:47 pm
Time to shut down all your computers and stop trading. 32ºC on the morrow. :D :D
My PlayStation just went into full on sounding like a Boeing on takeoff!
Derek27

I've just purchased a Tassimo coffee machine from the middle of Lidl, £35, usual price £100.

And I bought a laptop for the cat! It's got a scratch pad instead of a keyboard and a choice of wallpapers for the screen. :D
Derek27

I know I shouldn't be ranting on the happy thread, but learning to use BA was a piece of piss compared to this flipping coffee machine. No instructions, just pictures!

It may seem cool popping in a pod, pressing a button and having coffee dispensed but it doesn't taste like ground coffee, or even any better than my regular instant coffee.

Return to “Chill Out Area”