Anyone growing tomatoes? (The Gardening thread)

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
TraderFred

At least they ripened !

Just off outside to choose a nice ripe , worm free, super marmande to go with my steak for tea !
Derek27

I haven't been buying any tomatoes lately because I was worried that I might have a surplus of homegrown tomatoes. I guess it's now back to the supermarket, putting up with the usual twats I meet there and then posting to the rant thread. :)
Derek27

TraderFred wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:47 pm
At least they ripened !

Just off outside to choose a nice ripe , worm free, super marmande to go with my steak for tea !
How do you know it's worm free? They might crawl out at the dinner table. :lol:
firlandsfarm

TraderFred wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 am
Done the same with my cucumber, though I’m not sure the seed is any good, it all looks to be floating in the jar at present, maybe I didn’t let it get over ripe enough. Got another one on the other plant which I’m going to leave on even longer. Let it fatten up even more and go brownish before I scoop out the seed.
Are they ridge cucumbers, the slightly spikey type? Greenhouse cucumbers are infertile because you have to stop them fertilising, they turn bitter if they do. But ridge are OK if fertilised so the seed could be good though never heard of anyone recycling cucumber seeds … tell me if it works next spring. :)
TraderFred

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 pm
TraderFred wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 am
Done the same with my cucumber, though I’m not sure the seed is any good, it all looks to be floating in the jar at present, maybe I didn’t let it get over ripe enough. Got another one on the other plant which I’m going to leave on even longer. Let it fatten up even more and go brownish before I scoop out the seed.
Are they ridge cucumbers, the slightly spikey type? Greenhouse cucumbers are infertile because you have to stop them fertilising, they turn bitter if they do. But ridge are OK if fertilised so the seed could be good though never heard of anyone recycling cucumber seeds … tell me if it works next spring. :)

They are ‘Tamra’ cucumbers. Quite rare apparently, so they encourage you to save your seed.

I’m very new to this, so learning on the go. Though these have both male and female flowers, they are insect pollinated (had to leave greenhouse open so they could get in ). Then the female flowers grow into cucumbers.

To save the seed I have to let them get over ripe, then scoop it out and let it ferment in a jar, then after a few days fill the jar with water, get rid of the pulp , and the good seeds sink and the bad ones float.

I’ve done it with two, and managed to get some seed, though going to do it with one more as the seeds seem to be getting bigger in the later fruits.

Hoping I’ve done it right, as they have been delicious, and it would be great to complete the cycle and become self sufficient ( for cucumbers, for around 4 months a year ! ).
wearthefoxhat

Taken in my first harvest.... :shock:

tomatoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderFred

Had yet another shitty day trading. Though on the positive side, am still getting tomatoes from the plants in the greenhouse! Just days away from December too.

Every cloud.... !
Derek27

I wish growing vegetables was as straightforward as trading, or even growing flowers. My tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies were a complete failure but my Calendula started flowering in July and they're still flowering now!

Being intent on growing vegetables and coming up with flowers reminds me of this song. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwP2huyNzg
TraderFred

I’m glad you find trading so straightforward, derek27.

Though I’m struggling to find the link between gardening and falling in love with a transvestite! Unless your Calendula all grew a great big pair of bollocks !

Growing tomatoes is all about your mindset. Have you read “growing in the zone “, by Mark Digless ? Changed everything for me !
wearthefoxhat

toms.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gazuty

Hoping for flowers soon.

IMG_1370 (3).jpg
Galilee66

Gazuty, We are growing three different types of tomato - a little tip (although you might already be aware of this) - add a pinch of magnesium in the form of Epsom Salts to the tomatoes now and then - seems to boost them. They also need a fair bit of sun - but not burning sun.

Good luck eith them
Galilee66
gazuty

Galilee66 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:23 am
Gazuty, We are growing three different types of tomato - a little tip (although you might already be aware of this) - add a pinch of magnesium in the form of Epsom Salts to the tomatoes now and then - seems to boost them. They also need a fair bit of sun - but not burning sun.

Good luck eith them
Galilee66
Thanks for that tip. Will try it out. 👍
Derek27

Can't even remember what bulbs I planted here, but the instruction was to plant in September for spring flowering. I would have expected them to survive a bit of snow!
20210209_074716[1].gif
firlandsfarm

hardy bulbs are very hardy ... some need very cold temperatures to prepare them for the spring.

Return to “Chill Out Area”