Anyone growing tomatoes? (The Gardening thread)

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Jukebox

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:25 pm
Google's saying this is a Devil's Snare. After flattening the garden this year I'm getting weeds I've never seen before.
20220903_120318.jpg
LOL you might be able to sell it on the dark web
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Google's saying this is a Devil's Snare. After flattening the garden this year I'm getting weeds I've never seen before.
20220903_120318.jpg
Apparently it doesn't like sunlight ;)
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
My horsetail weed has virtually stopped popping up now. Its extinction might have been helped by the dry weather.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:08 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
My horsetail weed has virtually stopped popping up now. Its extinction might have been helped by the dry weather.
Certainly where I am the trees are shedding their leaves. And I don't think this is the autmn fall. Seems like they've just run out of water so are shutting down already.
ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:03 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
Really? I'd hate to see it in conditions it likes! It's been interesting seeing what comes up in a bare patch, I've had wheat, barley, sunflowers, rape seed, and now this mf that looks like its gonna grab you when you walk past. :)
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:27 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
Really? I'd hate to see it in conditions it likes! It's been interesting seeing what comes up in a bare patch, I've had wheat, barley, sunflowers, rape seed, and now this mf that looks like its gonna grab you when you walk past. :)
Locally we had a replacement gas pipe this year that required grass verges being dug up. They were reseeded with grass but meantime the imported earth sprouted all sorts, poppies etc. The grass has taken over though now after a few cuts.
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:27 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
Actually, no. Sorry, was being silly, thinking it wasn't a real plant. It's mentioned in the first Harry Potter film. Its driven off with sunlight :)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Derek27 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
20220903_120318.jpg
Certainly where I am the trees are shedding their leaves. And I don't think this is the autmn fall. Seems like they've just run out of water so are shutting down already.
I thought they were shedding their leaves because it's Autumn but that's a more plausible explanation. :)
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:06 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I thought they were shedding their leaves because it's Autumn but that's a more plausible explanation. :)
I did check this out a couple of weeks ago. It's known as a false Autumn, due to the trees being stressed, usually caused by a drought.
Euler

Y, during the summer I go around the garden each day to see which plants are heat stressed and help them out. My garden is an Oasis in a sea of brown!

Deluge of Acorns on the way. I bought a lawn raker last week and that seems to pick them up well!
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:06 pm
greenmark wrote:

I did check this out a couple of weeks ago. It's known as a false Autumn, due to the trees being stressed, usually caused by a drought.
We've had plenty of false springs lately, warm weather in February causing trees to blossom early. The climate is definitely getting unpredictable compared to when I was a kid. I just popped out for a cigarette and counted six raindrops on my patio. Bizarrely, not a single one landed on my head, which is usually the target of the first raindrop!
Dublin_Flyer

sniffer66 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:07 pm

We've had the 2nd false autumn in a couple of years here, both from drought/heatwave conditions. There was a row of douglas fir outside my estate that shed all their needles last time, left the road and path in a carpet of needles about 2-3 inches deep, absolutely lethal trying to cycle across it. Even in July this year there were leaves visibly changing colour on many trees and hedges, probably a self-preservation forced hibernation mode.

The sunflowers absolutely love the sun,having to pin them to the wall weekly as they're growing nearly a foot a week now. Hoping to beat last years 8 footer with some more sunshine, plenty of water, and more drugs than the 1988 mens 100m olympic starting lineup :lol:
RoyJay

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm

The sunflowers absolutely love the sun,having to pin them to the wall weekly as they're growing nearly a foot a week now. Hoping to beat last years 8 footer with some more sunshine, plenty of water, and more drugs than the 1988 mens 100m olympic starting lineup :lol:

I bought some ‘sunzilla’ sunflower seeds in the hope of growing some giant ones. The ones I grew were ok, with big heads, though nothing spectacular, I don’t think I had them in a very good spot, and poor soil.

However, I have 2 other sunflowers, just standard sized ones (one red, one yellow) that I had given up on, but they decided to germinate about a month or so after the rest for some reason.

I put them by the fence, in the only space I had left, and they have grown absolutely massive. Must be well over 7 foot, maybe 8, huge green shiny leaves, and still growing. They are also starting to sprout multiple heads too.

At first I though I must have just had them in a good spot for the sun. But then I remembered that during the early months of the year, all the food scraps i collected, I would store in 10litre pots with holes in and a lid on, on the soil, in that exact spot. Until spring came, then I’d start loading up the compost tumbler.

All the goodness and nutrients from the food scraps must have seeped through into the soil and made it really fertile. They are the biggest sunflowers ive ever seen, and I only wanted them to go about 5 foot, just up the fence.

The flowers haven’t opened up yet. Only downside to this for me, is that they look as if they are going to open up facing the neighbours garden not mine. So the best sunflowers I have ever grown, and probably will ever grow, I’ve got to put up with looking at the backs of their heads instead of the flower. Hope the neighbour appreciates them!
Derek27

RoyJay wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:41 am
Only downside to this for me, is that they look as if they are going to open up facing the neighbours garden not mine. So the best sunflowers I have ever grown, and probably will ever grow, I’ve got to put up with looking at the backs of their heads instead of the flower. Hope the neighbour appreciates them!
:lol: I grew three giant sunflowers a couple of years ago. The seed packet stated they grow "up to" 3 metres. I managed 2 metres, they all faced the midday sun but by autumn, one of them turned its head sideways and started peering into my bedroom window. I was quite spooky but they seem to have a mind of their own. :)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:55 am
RoyJay wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:41 am
Only downside to this for me, is that they look as if they are going to open up facing the neighbours garden not mine. So the best sunflowers I have ever grown, and probably will ever grow, I’ve got to put up with looking at the backs of their heads instead of the flower. Hope the neighbour appreciates them!
:lol: I grew three giant sunflowers a couple of years ago. The seed packet stated they grow "up to" 3 metres. I managed 2 metres, they all faced the midday sun but by autumn, one of them turned its head sideways and started peering into my bedroom window. I was quite spooky but they seem to have a mind of their own. :)
The only sunflowers we've got are the ones self sown from the bird feeder. You can tell they're a commercial cultivar cos they're only about 4ft tall and one of them has got 16 flowerheads! Do other people's face away from the sun? All of ours are.

Return to “Chill Out Area”