Anyone growing tomatoes? (The Gardening thread)

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

My tomato plants all died, shortly after the cucumber plants died. So I sowed a few more seeds and now have these six little babies.

[Bugger, file too large]

Nevermind, they're just seedlings four leaves each. My question is, is it too late in the year to plant out tomato seedlings or do you think between them they might achieve a tomato before the autumn sets in?
Last edited by Derek27 on Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinusP

My wife doesn’t think so, she has planted a load of seeds (last weekend) and I have had to water them...
ShaunWhite

You might get away with your little seedlings if you can't get any plants that are a bit further on, they do seem to have a knack of catching up. Keep them on the window sill until they're desperate to go out. If we can avoid a frost before we get back to 12hrs light 12hrs dark I think you'll get something, after that they won't ripen. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm looking at trays of pathetic little seedlings too (zinnias, phlox, cosmos, helichrysums) and wondering how the hell they'll be anything before xmas.

Every year I say I'll be more organised and every year it's the same story. All set to change my ways this year then the bloody lockdown and delays have snookered me.

I'm mourning a death too, my bonsai cherry tree was dry for no more than 24hrs and the #%+$ing thing has turned up its toes. I've managed to kill a nice maple over the winter too so I'm gutted.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm
My wife doesn’t think so, she has planted a load of seeds (last weekend) and I have had to water them...
Well Monty Don was only planting his tom seeds 3 weeks ago so I think there's hope.

Despite the woes I think I'm about 2weeks away from my first strawberry, yay... . If the blackbirds don't get it first. I'd net them (it) but I'm fairly zen about it and they need to eat too. I hope they'll play fair though cos we do hand feed them sultanas everyday.
Derek27

Cheers, I'll give it a go. They're already out, that's what killed the cucumbers (we had a few chilli nights) and probably the earlier tomatoes.

What's really getting on my wick at the moment is while I'm watching seedlings struggling to grow, my neighbour's got rows and rows of FKW growing in his garden up to 3 feet high! He even waters his garden in his bare feet!! I thought being a successful gardener is all about being properly equipt including the right choice of footwear, but obviously not!
Atho55

Had our first strawberry this morning. Birds are ok here but the regular 3 (norm) to 6 (pain) squirrels devour anything and everything edible so nets are the norm.

We managed to get 2 hanging baskets with Tumbling Toms in flower so ahead of that game.

Talking of babies, Blue Tits fledged from the box 7 this week despite Magpies looking for a snack. Happy days...
TraderFred

You should be able to get some small plants,Derek27. I only potted up some of mine the other day, so you might get away with it from seed. I’ve got loads of little tomato plants spare, I’m sure another local enthusiasts who also sowed too many seeds or a garden centre would have some small plants for sale or free to a good home.

Cucumbers are very sensitive to cold. I lost most of mine last year. Get one of those small plastic mini greenhouses, they cost about £20, usually have four tiers, you can remove the trays. They love it in there, especially in this heat, gets really humid inside, give them plenty of water. I got two very healthy looking cucumber plants this year and they are just starting to set fruit, exciting times!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm
My tomato plants all died, shortly after the cucumber plants died. So I sowed a few more seeds and now have these six little babies.

[Bugger, file too large]

Nevermind, they're just seedlings four leaves each. My question is, is it too late in the year to plant out tomato seedlings or do you think between them they might achieve a tomato before the autumn sets in?
I could always put you in touch with my neighbour if you need some advice on growing 😆
Kai

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm

[Bugger, file too large]

I could always put you in touch with my neighbour if you need some advice on growing 😆
I had no idea why I kept checking on this thread today. Now I do :D
Derek27

No chance of a tomato & cucumber sandwich then, but if I'm lucky I could be making a pizza with my own tomatoes and chillies by the end of the summer. :D
mcgoo

My pumpkins have gone mental. No actual pumpkins yet but blimey growing leaves like crazy. Bloody possums attacking radish leaves. Cat has failed in her usual duty. Think she is getting on..she used to kill and eatem :shock:
Peas looking ok too
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:16 am
No chance of a tomato & cucumber sandwich then, but if I'm lucky I could be making a pizza with my own tomatoes and chillies by the end of the summer. :D
"Cucumba" has featured heavily in Macka B's healthy eating vids :D
https://youtu.be/SdL0CsZLieo
https://youtu.be/GEl8xWJ-CF0?t=32 (choon ! )
Screenshot_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well ShaunWhite, very educational. Almost as good as the cheeseburger one, it's that man's favorite vegetable.
TraderFred

To be honest, Derek27, it doesn’t sound like you are ready for real tomato plants yet. I think perhaps you should just get some plastic ones and stay in practise mode until you feel confident enough to keep a real tomato plant alive.

There is a lot to learn, though there are a lot of good mentors out there, and lots of good advice online.

Be wary of people on forums like me though. Whilst I might talk a good game, the truth is that im only really just getting started myself, yet here I am dishing out advice like I’m Monty Don.

At the moment I am lucky as I get to keep and enjoy all of my cucumber. Though once you get really good, you have to chop 40 % of your cucumber off and send it back to the company where you got your seed !
Derek27

TraderFred wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 am
To be honest, Derek27, it doesn’t sound like you are ready for real tomato plants yet. I think perhaps you should just get some plastic ones and stay in practise mode until you feel confident enough to keep a real tomato plant alive.

There is a lot to learn, though there are a lot of good mentors out there, and lots of good advice online.

Be wary of people on forums like me though. Whilst I might talk a good game, the truth is that im only really just getting started myself, yet here I am dishing out advice like I’m Monty Don.

At the moment I am lucky as I get to keep and enjoy all of my cucumber. Though once you get really good, you have to chop 40 % of your cucumber off and send it back to the company where you got your seed !
:lol:

Return to “Chill Out Area”