PhD sports betting help

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Liz_ntu

Good morning,

My name's Liz and a PhD student at Nottingham Trent University researching the acquisition, maintenance and development of online sports betting behaviours. I'm examining how people use in-play betting features (e.g. cash out) and the perceived impact of advertising and promotions. I'm looking for 250 sports bettors to take part in a 10-15 min survey (with the option to enter a prize draw at the end).

If anyone’s interested in taking part I would be very grateful. The survey and further information can be found here:

https://nbsntu.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/for ... saM3IwlpwV

If you've got any questions, please let me know

Liz
Euler

Liz has been in touch to ask if she could run this survey on our site.

I did tell Liz that we are very different bunch from ordinary sports bettors and I haven't seen the survey in full, so don't specifically know it's relevance. But I didn't think it would do any harm.

You are welcome to complete the survey if you wish. This message was just to let you know this is legitimate.
Kai

Alright, 250 participants should be achievable!
Kai

It's a very easy one to finish for sports traders, less than 5 minutes probably, so no excuse not to help Liz out :)
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:46 pm
It's a very easy one to finish for sports traders, less than 5 minutes probably, so no excuse not to help Liz out :)
Is it just for in-play bettors or can pre-race traders help?
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:55 pm
Kai wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:46 pm
Is it just for in-play bettors or can pre-race traders help?
Just basic questions about betting and gambling activities and preferences, you can fly right through it from a trading perspective, which I'm assuming Liz is already familiar with if she picked this forum.
LeTiss

I completed it, but it really isn't suitable for traders.

I wish her well, but it's a survey primarily for punters, and questioning whether they are potential problem gamblers and whether they are easily tempted by various betting promotions they see on a regular basis

There is no consideration in this survey for people who make a living trading from betting prices. According to her, we'd all be classified as people betting our bollocks on raindrops running down window panes :lol:

It shows how little knowledge there is of exchanges and trading within the wider community. They really don't understand at all what we're all doing here
weemac

Most problem gamblers are in denial, so it's hard to imagine many answering that section truthfully. And I'd imagine that respondents from this forum are a totally different kettle of fish to those from say the betfair forum. I wonder if Liz appreciates these, and other, factors.

But for once I can actually fancy my chances of winning a voucher! 8-)
Kai

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:28 pm
They really don't understand at all what we're all doing here
And long may it continue!
Derek27

I don't want to complete the survey if it will mislead Liz's research. Sounds like it's aimed at recreational punters rather than professional/profitable traders.
jamesg46

I was waiting for these comments to flow in before taking the survey, because my initial feeling was that as traders we could do more harm than good towards the research that Liz is doing.

A positive from Liz posting on the forum is that it could lead Liz in a direction of research that is essentially a branch off of the same tree.

Good luck with your research Liz!
Kai

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:56 pm
I was waiting for these comments to flow in before taking the survey, because my initial feeling was that as traders we could do more harm than good towards the research that Liz is doing.

A positive from Liz posting on the forum is that it could lead Liz in a direction of research that is essentially a branch off of the same tree.

Good luck with your research Liz!
But she already received that disclaimer from Peter before even posting, so I trust his judgement, and I'm optimistic that she chose this niche area to survey BECAUSE it's niche :)

Exchanges are mentioned in the survey after all, so I am lowkey optimistic that is the case here ;) Even if I get disappointed almost every time :D
megarain

Maybe we should just do the questionnaire and respond like an on-line degenerate.
LeTiss

Exchanges were mentioned, that's true. However, only as an option for the platform that people bet from. The concept of sports trading is not on Liz's radar at all
wearthefoxhat

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:28 pm

According to her, we'd all be classified as people betting our bollocks on raindrops running down window panes :lol:

Will do the survey, no harm no foul.

When it rains, i'll open up a market on the exchanges...baggsy I choose first though....

Return to “Chill Out Area”