PhD sports betting help

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Is "cash out" and greening-up the same thing?
It is. A number of the bookies offer a "cash out" facility. I have looked at these when doing Saturday goals accumulators for some interest. The value is normally pretty terrible, unless you only have 1 selection letting you down
I'm aware of that. What I meant is, is it the same for the purpose of the survey, or does the survey distinguish between cashing out at bookmaker percentages and greening up on the exchange at 100% overround? Can't even remember what I ticked!

The first question is a bit ambiguous, technically a trade is two bets, but as they cancel each other out traders don't consider it betting.
LeTiss

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:07 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Is "cash out" and greening-up the same thing?
It is. A number of the bookies offer a "cash out" facility. I have looked at these when doing Saturday goals accumulators for some interest. The value is normally pretty terrible, unless you only have 1 selection letting you down
I'm aware of that. What I meant is, is it the same for the purpose of the survey, or does the survey distinguish between cashing out at bookmaker percentages and greening up on the exchange at 100% overround? Can't even remember what I ticked!

The first question is a bit ambiguous, technically a trade is two bets, but as they cancel each other out traders don't consider it betting.
My apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying
Derek27

Have people criticised your betting or told you that you had a gambling problem, regardless of whether or not you thought it was true

Yes, but they're all idiots who don't know the difference between recreational betting, professional betting and trading. I hope I'm not going to be penalised by people not part of the survey. ;)
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:16 pm
Have people criticised your betting or told you that you had a gambling problem, regardless of whether or not you thought it was true

Yes, but they're all idiots who don't know the difference between recreational betting, professional betting and trading. I hope I'm not going to be penalised by people not part of the survey. ;)
derek - you need to get out more often. in fact, we're overdue the next episode of *derek goes bag bagging* -eagerly awaiting EP2 :D
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:59 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:57 pm
I bet on events during the game

That's quite a poorly worded question. I presume it means events other than the one you're betting on/watching?
i think it's related to the bet365 type thing - who gets next kick of the ref etc :D (liz, not making light of your survey, just educating Derek - lol)
That makes sense thanks.
LeTiss

I've never bought into the stopping of gambling to help problem gamblers. It's like closing down all pubs, so it potentially helps anyone with a future alcohol problem.

It's the same as everything in this world.......life is full of winners and losers. It always has been
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:22 pm
Derek27 wrote:

derek - you need to get out more often. in fact, we're overdue the next episode of *derek goes bag bagging* -eagerly awaiting EP2 :D
Dangers of not getting enough sleep, at first glance I thought that said *Derek goes tea bagging*
jimibt

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 pm
jimibt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Dangers of not getting enough sleep, at first glance I thought that said *Derek goes tea bagging*
your eyes did not deceive you!! :D
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:44 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 pm
jimibt wrote:

your eyes did not deceive you!! :D
:o :lol:
Derek27

We all need a distraction from gambling - perhaps that was the purpose of the survey. :)
Kai

Well, if Liz didn't see us all as gambling degenerates already, she definitely will now :D

@Liz

What I find interesting in the survey, despite the stigma and the patronizing parts (which I see irked some of the others), is that there is no mention of profit anywhere, no questions aimed at whether you're profitable and to what extent, it's almost as if everyone is doomed to lose :)
weemac

Derek, and others, have pointed out some of the issues which are also nagging at me.

I still can't figure out whether this thesis is solely about the recreational gambler of the type you see in the Ladbrokes, Skybet, Paddy Power and bet365 TV adverts i.e. careless, thoughtless, thrill-seeking, validation-craving, ignorant of value, impulsive, compulsive, easily persuaded etc., or whether it includes the other end of the spectrum i.e. professionals, insiders, syndicates, price-traders, systems-based bettors, technical analysts etc.

The first type, if indeed they answered truthfully (which I have grave reservations about), would result in a vastly different output than the latter type.
LeTiss

There also wasn't a question.......have you ever turned down a shag for gambling?

Yes! When waiting for Australian Open to start at midnight.
Left a hot bird in the Pitcher & Piano to start my trading session instead
Euler

Kai wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm
What I find interesting in the survey, despite the stigma and the patronizing parts (which I see irked some of the others), is that there is no mention of profit anywhere, no questions aimed at whether you're profitable and to what extent, it's almost as if everyone is doomed to lose :)
My view of academia and the press is that when you say you have made millions gambling, they just aren't interested.

I've done some lovely work in these markets, but when I reach out I just get brushed off. But you see many stories about problem gambling, just not successful gambling. Nobody is interested.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm
I've done some lovely work in these markets, but when I reach out I just get brushed off. But you see many stories about problem gambling, just not successful gambling. Nobody is interested.
yup, doesn't make for good press at all to highlight succesful traders, after all, most (outside) will view a bet as a bet (if you see what i mean).

in terms of a thesis, i'm sure the results will have valid placeholders but I certainly would be cautious about summing apples and pears (unless you've got a barrel roll organ to hand -oh kness up mo...) - i'll get me coat

Return to “Chill Out Area”