PhD sports betting help

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Kai

Well, if Liz didn't see us all as gambling degenerates already, she definitely will now :D

@Liz

What I find interesting in the survey, despite the stigma and the patronizing parts (which I see irked some of the others), is that there is no mention of profit anywhere, no questions aimed at whether you're profitable and to what extent, it's almost as if everyone is doomed to lose :)
weemac

Derek, and others, have pointed out some of the issues which are also nagging at me.

I still can't figure out whether this thesis is solely about the recreational gambler of the type you see in the Ladbrokes, Skybet, Paddy Power and bet365 TV adverts i.e. careless, thoughtless, thrill-seeking, validation-craving, ignorant of value, impulsive, compulsive, easily persuaded etc., or whether it includes the other end of the spectrum i.e. professionals, insiders, syndicates, price-traders, systems-based bettors, technical analysts etc.

The first type, if indeed they answered truthfully (which I have grave reservations about), would result in a vastly different output than the latter type.
LeTiss

There also wasn't a question.......have you ever turned down a shag for gambling?

Yes! When waiting for Australian Open to start at midnight.
Left a hot bird in the Pitcher & Piano to start my trading session instead
Euler

Kai wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm
What I find interesting in the survey, despite the stigma and the patronizing parts (which I see irked some of the others), is that there is no mention of profit anywhere, no questions aimed at whether you're profitable and to what extent, it's almost as if everyone is doomed to lose :)
My view of academia and the press is that when you say you have made millions gambling, they just aren't interested.

I've done some lovely work in these markets, but when I reach out I just get brushed off. But you see many stories about problem gambling, just not successful gambling. Nobody is interested.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm
I've done some lovely work in these markets, but when I reach out I just get brushed off. But you see many stories about problem gambling, just not successful gambling. Nobody is interested.
yup, doesn't make for good press at all to highlight succesful traders, after all, most (outside) will view a bet as a bet (if you see what i mean).

in terms of a thesis, i'm sure the results will have valid placeholders but I certainly would be cautious about summing apples and pears (unless you've got a barrel roll organ to hand -oh kness up mo...) - i'll get me coat
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 pm
There also wasn't a question.......have you ever turned down a shag for gambling?

:lol: Still can't believe anyone would do that.
Euler

I once took an FT journalist out for breakfast in a swanky restaurant, he loved the story and was amazed at the concept. But said he would never get it past editorial, he was right. The editor didn't want anything to do with it, no matter that it was effectively spread betting in the same way you would with financials.
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:30 pm
yup, doesn't make for good press at all to highlight succesful traders
Other industires are the same, Pablo Escobar did really well for himself but all you hear about are the losers who end up in the gutter.

Like football & pop music, hyping a dream that most will never reach and could even be damaging, isn't univerasally seen as a good idea. I'm not sure I want my offspring reading about celebrity gamblers in the papers. There's been sucessful pro gamblers for about 100yrs, maybe it's not a new story?
Kai

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm
I once took an FT journalist out for breakfast in a swanky restaurant, he loved the story and was amazed at the concept. But said he would never get it past editorial, he was right. The editor didn't want anything to do with it, no matter that it was effectively spread betting in the same way you would with financials.
Yup, I doubt her peers would be interested in any success stories either :)

On the off chance that Liz hasn't spotted the large elephant in the room and if she maybe got mislead by the product's name (Bet Angel) for her survey, what we're talking about here is day trading in a nutshell, about people utilizing financial trading skillsets to lock in a guaranteed profit during a sporting event or before one even starts, and we do this by trading the price movement much like a Forex trader would, without the need to actually gamble on the outcome of those events.

That is why a lot of people here are able to consistently profit from the daily markets on the Exchange, and there are plenty that make excessively more tax-free income than any PhD realistically ever could, while some of the most experienced ones (like Euler here) have made millions by now throughout their long sports trading careers, and that is not an exaggeration.

I think we are more than happy to break down her survey from a sports trading perspective if she wants to take it in that direction, or if she wants to abandon it in case this was a bit of a blunder, that's fine as well :)
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Other industires are the same, Pablo Escobar did really well for himself but all you hear about are the losers who end up in the gutter.

Like football & pop music, hyping a dream that most will never reach and could even be damaging, isn't univerasally seen as a good idea. I'm not sure I want my offspring reading about celebrity gamblers in the papers. There's been sucessful pro gamblers for about 100yrs, maybe it's not a new story?
I agree, we should bury the exchange and make sure nobody uses this industry low margin alternative to traditional sports betting. We should be pushing them to traditional bookmakers, bingo and the lottery where they are can really get hooked on non-skill games.

Ultimately it's up to us to help people understand why exchanges are better, that's all I've tried to do.
weemac

Perhaps the forum's header - "Betfair Forum", led her to believe that this is the Betfair forum.
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:01 pm
Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 pm
Yup, I doubt her peers would be interested in any success stories either :)

On the off chance that Liz hasn't spotted the large elephant in the room and if she maybe got mislead by the product's name (Bet Angel) for her survey, what we're talking about here is day trading in a nutshell, about people utilizing financial trading skillsets to lock in a guaranteed profit during a sporting event or before one even starts, and we do this by trading the price movement much like a Forex trader would, without the need to actually gamble on the outcome of those events.

That is why a lot of people here are able to consistently profit from the daily markets on the Exchange, and there are plenty that make excessively more tax-free income than any PhD realistically ever could, while some of the most experienced ones (like Euler here) have made millions by now throughout their long sports trading careers, and that is not an exaggeration.

I think we are more than happy to break down her survey from a sports trading perspective if she wants to take it in that direction, or if she wants to abandon it in case this was a bit of a blunder, that's fine as well :)
Couldn't think of a better way to put it & i did try a few times only to delete what I wrote.
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm
Well, if Liz didn't see us all as gambling degenerates already, she definitely will now :D

@Liz

That's clearly how the HMRC see it...
wearthefoxhat

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 pm

If that was the one in Bristol, I think she's still waiting.....
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:01 pm
mislead by the product's name (Bet Angel)
I've always been suprised by that choice of the name BetAngel, 'Bet' is such loaded word in the public consciousness.

tbh I have a couple of relatives who visit and I make sure my screens are off because even I don't want the word "BET" splashed all over my screen even though I could explain it. It just looks so shady.

Return to “Chill Out Area”