The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Practice mode; 8 bet-firing rules with stop-loss ticks and fill-or-kill delay the Pete Tong way around, with 12 cans of beer downed. It was fun figuring that out. :mrgreen:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:17 pm
Ah ok, well I believe the sanctioning rules/actions are about to get even tougher/worse from next month.

A friend of mine works at the job centre and the biggest NO NO is being late for an appointment. I won’t say how the entire points system works but being late puts you on -10 for each one missed or late too. Unless your leg is hanging off then best to attend on time. Also, there are different rules followed for different areas. If you in a major city like London, Liverpool, Manchester etc then they much more strict opposed to living in a smaller town with less unemployment per head of population. With her help I managed to fiddle the system for 3 years as had no intention of working at the time but on paper it looked like my job search was 200 emails/letters per week.

If you go to any weatherspoons pub during the day, you will often see the usual suspects, in their 50s, unemployed, no intention of working on the books but playing the system. Over the years I must of spoken to hundreds of them along the south coast and they all say the same thing, don’t be late and the rest is just a piss take if you know what to say and more importantly what not to say.
In my day, if you were late you'd have to attend a 'failed to attend' appointment. I presume if you're late for that you'd have to attend a failed to attend a failed to attend appointment. :D

Then they had a system where you get sanctioned if you're late to two consecutive appointments, so you could turn up late every other fortnight. :D

I used to give my job advisor or whatever they're called now about 10 company names and he'd ask me which one I think I have the best chance of getting. That was code for which one did you actually apply for so I can check. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:00 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:17 pm
Ah ok, well I believe the sanctioning rules/actions are about to get even tougher/worse from next month.

A friend of mine works at the job centre and the biggest NO NO is being late for an appointment. I won’t say how the entire points system works but being late puts you on -10 for each one missed or late too. Unless your leg is hanging off then best to attend on time. Also, there are different rules followed for different areas. If you in a major city like London, Liverpool, Manchester etc then they much more strict opposed to living in a smaller town with less unemployment per head of population. With her help I managed to fiddle the system for 3 years as had no intention of working at the time but on paper it looked like my job search was 200 emails/letters per week.

If you go to any weatherspoons pub during the day, you will often see the usual suspects, in their 50s, unemployed, no intention of working on the books but playing the system. Over the years I must of spoken to hundreds of them along the south coast and they all say the same thing, don’t be late and the rest is just a piss take if you know what to say and more importantly what not to say.
In my day, if you were late you'd have to attend a 'failed to attend' appointment. I presume if you're late for that you'd have to attend a failed to attend a failed to attend appointment. :D

Then they had a system where you get sanctioned if you're late to two consecutive appointments, so you could turn up late every other fortnight. :D

I used to give my job advisor or whatever they're called now about 10 company names and he'd ask me which one I think I have the best chance of getting. That was code for which one did you actually apply for so I can check. :lol:
:lol:
Derek27

I was just two minutes from home when I stumbled across a 90-year-old woman with a walking stick who had just come out of a shop, leaning against a wall as if trying to stay upright. I asked her if she was alright and she said she overdid her shopping and was struggling to carry it home. I picked up her bag and thought, flipping hell, it weighed about 12 kg! I had to carry it over 200 metres while supporting her. My good deed for the day. :D

Like many elderly people, she doesn't like asking her neighbours for help, but there should be some council-run service to ensure elderly people get their provisions rather than relying on family and neighbours.
Derek27

What is so special about Leicester that the racecourse appears on the radar map, yet Newmarket, Cheltenham and many towns don't?

Screenshot 2023-03-28 160055.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archangel

This year, India is expected to surpass China as the world’s most populous nation. Both countries have more than 1.4 billion people, but where India’s population is relatively young, China’s birth rate is in decline and its population is getting older.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/03/29/w ... china.html
greenmark

Curious that M&S think Enola Gay is a suitable backing track to their TV advert.

It's an iconic 80's pop song but it's quite a dark song with very dark associations. It's like a lament about how brutal humans can be.

Odd.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm
A political discussion without Derek27??

I fear something must have happened to him.
My mother passed away on Wednesday. The good news is that although she was in the latter stages of Alzheimer's she died peacefully and without pain. She was in her early nineties but still remembered me and called me by name when I last saw her. I was dreading the day she doesn't remember me and everything else associated with Alzheimer's so we got off quite lightly.

I had to dash down to London and take the cat with me, no time to make arrangements for somebody to look after her. Poor cat probably thinks she's in a zoo with all the relatives coming around to look at her, but at least she can now say she's been to London to visit the Queen. :)

I should return home early next week, hopefully in time for Trump's arrest. ;)
The Silk Run

I am sorry to hear your sad news Dex, trully I am.
God bless you Sir
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:22 pm
Kai wrote:

My mother passed away on Wednesday. The good news is that although she was in the latter stages of Alzheimer's she died peacefully and without pain. She was in her early nineties but still remembered me and called me by name when I last saw her. I was dreading the day she doesn't remember me and everything else associated with Alzheimer's so we got off quite lightly.

I had to dash down to London and take the cat with me, no time to make arrangements for somebody to look after her. Poor cat probably thinks she's in a zoo with all the relatives coming around to look at her, but at least she can now say she's been to London to visit the Queen. :)

Sorry to hear that, I almost had a feeling something sinister was afoot.

I just saw a political debate going on and something felt off!

But as they say, while the cat's away.... ;)
Michael5482

Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

Sorry for your loss Derek
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:20 am
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

Sorry for your loss Derek
Echo that sentiment. Been there and it's different for everybody but you have my sympathies.
Derek27

Thanks for the sympathy.

My sister was driving me around south London with her daughter (who's about 30) giving directions. We past a pub called The Plough and I asked, "Is that the same Plough we passed 10 minutes ago?" :lol:
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Thanks for the sympathy.

My sister was driving me around south London with her daughter (who's about 30) giving directions. We past a pub called The Plough and I asked, "Is that the same Plough we passed 10 minutes ago?" :lol:
Don't get kicked out of the car :D

Or you'll miss the next weekly political debate as well!
Derek27

While listening to the Everton/Spurs commentary, my brother received a condolence email from Gabriella and asked me who Gabriella is. Not knowing what he was talking about, I said I think he plays for Arsenal. :lol:

Return to “Chill Out Area”