The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:47 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm
Early start tonight as I prepare for the Brighton match. No pizza tonight though, I'm serious about losing weight. :D
As long as you swill it down with a can of diet coke, pizza is aloud... 2 diet cokes and you can have a pudding too.
Allowed. ;) I sometimes wish the moderators would give me a red pen and the authority to edit posts. :lol:
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:56 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm
Early start tonight as I prepare for the Brighton match. No pizza tonight though, I'm serious about losing weight. :D
As long as you swill it down with a can of diet coke, pizza is aloud... 2 diet cokes and you can have a pudding too.
Allowed. ;) I sometimes wish the moderators would give me a red pen and the authority to edit posts. :lol:
:lol: thank you, Derek. That's a good idea to be fair, I get rather upset over loose/lose. What really gets me though and it may just be a Stokie thing but people using bought and brought the wrong way around, it's so common around here that the teachers don't know the difference, my lads teacher used it the wrong way around in a conversation with me and I nearly melted. I better stop, we aren't in the Rant Corner.
Realrocknrolla

Halfway through a shed load of Heineken.

Wedding Anniversary weekend. No pubs open.

Reminiscing with the wife of our MD nights! 😉

Happy Weekend people!
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:04 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

:lol: thank you, Derek. That's a good idea to be fair, I get rather upset over loose/lose. What really gets me though and it may just be a Stokie thing but people using bought and brought the wrong way around, it's so common around here that the teachers don't know the difference, my lads teacher used it the wrong way around in a conversation with me and I nearly melted. I better stop, we aren't in the Rant Corner.
Hallelujah! a fellow linguistic pedant. I see so much of sloppy language online (on here). Although on here that's tempered by the wisdom and wit. And I understand the urge to communicate often overrides our own personal ideals for our native language. My first boss (who I have enormous respect for) often was grammatically incorrect, but he was a compelling communicator. Go figure. Err! I mean, work out that conundrum :-)
Derek27

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Happy Weekend people!
Bought a 15-pack of Heineken but won't need it unless the Carlsburg Export runs out. I've noticed Stella Artois has mysteriously dropped to 4.6%. Are they watering it down?? :lol:

Enjoy your wedding anniversary. :)
greenmark

Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Happy anniversary! I think we all yearn for the option to share a beer at our favourite venue or a meal with someone special.
There is nothing like welcoming environments, drink, food and company.
It's return is just around the corner, keep up the pressure on the virus.
jamesg46

greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Hallelujah! a fellow linguistic pedant. I see so much of sloppy language online (on here). Although on here that's tempered by the wisdom and wit. And I understand the urge to communicate often overrides our own personal ideals for our native language. My first boss (who I have enormous respect for) often was grammatically incorrect, but he was a compelling communicator. Go figure. Err! I mean, work out that conundrum :-)
I'm not perfect, as Derek proved but my dislike for not giving a single toss about what you write is the mother in laws fault, every damn card she writes to me, no matter the occasion, she writes it to some fella called, "Jamies"... I've no idea who that is but I keep thinking that one day I'll find him in my Mrs "wardrome" - I've never come across this machine though, it must be something that is passed down through the family because they all seem to have one.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

When I left school I couldn't spell to save my life (bunked off most English lessons and sat in the bog reading the Sporting Life). At the time I thought it was completely unnecessary as long as you can make yourself understood. Feel differently about it now but although I sometimes joke about it I don't think anyone should feel any embarrassment about not being able to spell or add up. They're just skills you either have or you don't.

By the way, Grammarly suggests: My first boss (for who I have... ;)
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Bought a 15-pack of Heineken but won't need it unless the Carlsburg Export runs out. I've noticed Stella Artois has mysteriously dropped to 4.6%. Are they watering it down?? :lol:

Enjoy your wedding anniversary. :)
Cheers my man.

As for Stella, not drank that since I was based in Hamworthy, Poole. When we owned Poole Quay for the evening! Good times.
jamesg46

Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Happy Anniversary to you & your wife, have a wonderful weekend!
ODPaul82

Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Many congrats on the anniversary!
Realrocknrolla

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:03 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Thanks bro.

27 years
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 pm
greenmark wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

When I left school I couldn't spell to save my life (bunked off most English lessons and sat in the bog reading the Sporting Life). At the time I thought it was completely unnecessary as long as you can make yourself understood. Feel differently about it now but although I sometimes joke about it I don't think anyone should feel any embarrassment about not being able to spell or add up. They're just skills you either have or you don't.

By the way, Grammarly suggests: My first boss (for who I have... ;)
Rats! Hung on my own petard!
Derek27

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:29 pm
ODPaul82 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:03 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Happy Weekend people!
Thanks bro.

27 years
That's roughly how long I had my last girlfriend for, but days, not years. ;)
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 pm
greenmark wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

don't think anyone should feel any embarrassment about not being able to spell or add up. They're just skills you either have or you don't.
What a defeatist and lazy attitude! The three 'R's, (reading, writing and 'rithmetic) are probably the most important thing you must learn at school. Or they certainly used to be at my old grammar, when I did O' levels! If you can't 'spell or add up' due to bunking classes to 'sit on the bog and read a newspaper', then that is indeed shameful, as it's your own lazy fault!

That said, it's never too late to learn, though discipline is needed; something so often lacking in today's Britain, sadly. Standards of literacy, numeracy and decorum aren't what they used to be in old Blighty, more's the pity.

While I'm on my soapbox, I'll mention 'there', 'their' and 'they're'. There are so many people, including hereabouts, that don't know the difference and evidently can't be bothered to learn. And don't even start me on 'your' / 'you're' or the bastardisation of Queen's English by the Americans!

CS

Return to “Chill Out Area”