The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

flipping hell! I thought it was 02:50 and wondered why it's taken me so long to do what I'm doing when I realised my radio-controlled clock has gone on holiday. :lol:
Derek27

I like the idea of heatwaves being given names. I've been longing for storm Derek, but I'd much prefer heatwave Derek. :D
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:00 am
I once swore an oath never to eat Pot Noodles again. Now they're selling doner kebab flavor, temptation by the devil himself. :lol:
That was flipping disgusting, and the last Pot Noodle I ever eat!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:42 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I once swore an oath never to eat Pot Noodles again. Now they're selling doner kebab flavor, temptation by the devil himself. :lol:
We move on Derek27. Our tastes improve/change.
My cheap dinner way back was Vesta dehydrated beef risotto with an egg cracked in.
You cant get them anymore but I suspect it would be foul and I could knock up one from fresh anyway, which would be nutritionally superior, taste better and be cheaper.
But I still scan the shelves waiting for them to come back, c'est la vie.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:38 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
My cheap dinner way back was Vesta dehydrated beef risotto with an egg cracked in.
You cant get them anymore but I suspect it would be foul and I could knock up one from fresh anyway, which would be nutritionally superior, taste better and be cheaper.
That's a brilliant idea!! I'll make my own pot noodles. A bit of chopped-up chorizo sausage lightly fried in olive oil, a few peas or sweetcorn, noodles and something for the sauce. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:16 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

That's a brilliant idea!! I'll make my own pot noodles. A bit of chopped-up chorizo sausage lightly fried in olive oil, a few peas or sweetcorn, noodles and something for the sauce. :D
Well get back to me on that. Had a recent flirtation with chorizo and it didnt really work for me. Possibly poor quality supermarket chorizo. Possibly I should have considered chorizo as a flavouring rather than a main ingredient. Talk about a flavour repeating!!! Crikey!!
But as a general point, I'd love to hear recipe ideas/links from anyone.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:14 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Well get back to me on that. Had a recent flirtation with chorizo and it didnt really work for me. Possibly poor quality supermarket chorizo. Possibly I should have considered chorizo as a flavouring rather than a main ingredient. Talk about a flavour repeating!!! Crikey!!
One of my favourites in my Italian cookbook is Chorizo Carbonara. It takes just 15 minutes to cook, and it's yummy! The recipe below is fairly similar to my cookbook. :D

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/rec ... carbonara/
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:53 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

One of my favourites in my Italian cookbook is Chorizo Carbonara. It takes just 15 minutes to cook, and it's yummy! The recipe below is fairly similar to my cookbook. :D

Where do you get your chorizo?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:13 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

You can get it from any supermarket, both, cured ready to eat and cookable sausages. When I used to live near Morrisons I'd get it from their delicatessen. There was a beautiful girl behind the counter so I'd just buy one sausage at a time. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:28 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:13 pm
Derek27 wrote:

You can get it from any supermarket, both, cured ready to eat and cookable sausages. When I used to live near Morrisons I'd get it from their delicatessen. There was a beautiful girl behind the counter so I'd just buy one sausage at a time. :D
That was one of the failures. But I'll give it another go.

You might try this although i just go plain pilaf basmati rice rather than the omelette.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/swee ... _and_29670
But it's Ken Hom, despite appearing to be James Martin.
Stick to the recipe. And be prepared. It's a 6 minute dish if everything else is in place.
Derek27

Thanks, that looks interesting. :)
Derek27

It's bad enough having a disastrous night trading. When you try to chill out, play a computer game and the disaster continues, that's life taking the piss!

I think I'll chuck a pizza in the oven instead of trying to cook. As long as I get it out before it's burnt I can't go wrong. :D
Derek27

Keep some water in your garden for stray cats!

Poor cat came into my garden looking for water but when I got the hose out to fill up a tray it frightened her off.
greenmark

Neutron stars: New telescope detects dead suns colliding
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61911047

Amazing in general but this sentence floored me.
"Neutron stars are so heavy that a small teaspoon of their material weighs four billion tonnes. "
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Neutron stars: New telescope detects dead suns colliding
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61911047

Amazing in general but this sentence floored me.
"Neutron stars are so heavy that a small teaspoon of their material weighs four billion tonnes. "
Neutron stars get created when the collapse of a supergiant isn't sufficient to create a black hole, so they're not far off black holes. You may be interested to know that when the Sun collapses at the end of its life it will shrink to the size of the Earth, yet maintain most of its mass. :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”