The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:56 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:45 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:37 pm

Except that we live in a Christian country, with a Christian calendar, ruled by laws based upon the 10 Commandments, and a monarch who is the Head of the Church of England.

Billions of faithful can't all be wrong, can they?

CS
Yes, they can. Billions of children believe in Father Christmas, doesn't mean he exists. Our laws are not based on the ten commandments. There is a very mild similarity but you'll find such similarities in non-Christian countries. The fact that the guy who invented the calendar (and got it wrong) was a Christian doesn't mean anything. Nobody really cares what a calender is based on.
There are so many factual inacuracies in this, I won't even start. There is an overwhelming body of evidence around the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Even rabid atheist historians agree that Jesus lived. The question is rather was he the Son of God?

And even the Q'uran (and all other Abrahamic faiths) agree on this point. To equate God with Father Christmas is ignorant in the extreme and just a few decades ago would have been punishable by law as it's also blasphemous. Why not at least try to keep an open mind and read some theology to see why the majority of people accept the presence of a ''Supreme Being''?

Being so resolute and making remarks designed to offend do you no favours, Derek.And guess, what? You'll know for sure, as will we all, soon enough. An open mind and the ability to at least attempt to understand the viewpoint of others is something I fear you struggle with and that makes me sad.

CS
I fully understand why people believe in fairytales, I don't need to read them. Science has proven itself over and over again. Religion never has and never will.

It's interesting that you find my anti-religion comments offensive but don't consider disagreeing with my beliefs offensive. :)
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:19 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:01 pm
I have dabbled with religion. Some "received knowledge", some through my own curiosity.
But agnostic is where I've landed for the moment. So I have picked a side. Basically, I don't know.
Steering away was me trying to demonstrate respect for those with a faith, but I may well have failed.
I get that, I was raised catholic and dragged along to mass every Sunday, I never believed in God though even as a kid. Having said that I never believed in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy either but I did think pro wrestling was real so wtf do I know?! :lol:
Only just spotted that post (my notifications are a bit random for some reason) and made me chuckle. I had a similar experience. I really got into ITV wrestling as a sprog and was deflated by my Dad saying it's all staged. My parents where like that. Honest, even it crushes your perception of sporting glory. But, hey they were right and I was 10.
Looks like I've dropped a clanger with the subject of religion.
I've friends and former colleagues that have a faith and they have never tried to persuade, convert or argue with me. Their belief suits them and my agnosticism suits me for now.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:19 pm
I've friends and former colleagues that have a faith and they have never tried to persuade, convert or argue with me. Their belief suits them and my agnosticism suits me for now.
That's how grown-ups should be but all too often we're not. I've found if I strike up a conversation with somebody who is religious and they know that I'm not, they take that as an invitation to debate the existence of God. I've never been interested in that because it's an argument that's unwinnable even if you think you're being clever and laying out all these scientific facts.

When I was 18-19 my best mate decided to read the bible from cover to cover one summer. No idea why! When he was finished, he started to wear a 'What Would Jesus Do' bracelet. This was really strange to me especially because when we'd go out and party I'm sure a good Christian boy like Jesus wouldn't have gotten up to the stuff that we did!

If I had to choose a religion though I suppose it would be something like Taoism. Buddhism used to be the cool one but even Buddhist monks are now going around killing people in the name of religion. What happened to sitting under a tree looking for your inner fatman?
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:06 am
I've never been interested in that because it's an argument that's unwinnable even if you think you're being clever and laying out all these scientific facts.
It's not winning but taking part that counts. :D
Derek27

I've just seen a large passenger plane take off from Norwich airport, which is unusual. I looked it up on the Flightradar site, it's a 737 heading for London. Don't know if there's a rail strike today but what a waste of fuel!
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:01 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:06 am
I've never been interested in that because it's an argument that's unwinnable even if you think you're being clever and laying out all these scientific facts.
It's not winning but taking part that counts. :D
Thats why I like ya Derek.. You could debate anything, even in an empty room :D
Derek27

The hedgehog that left me a £10 note is back. I gave it a few cat biscuits, waited for it to leave my garden and then followed it into the car park, hoping that it might lead me to its stack of cash. But when I switched my torch on I must have frightened it and ran back into my garden. :lol:
Derek27

Hedgehogs are pretty astute. They sit still and wait until you need to pop in to get another beer or use the toilet, then bugger off out of sight!
Derek27

McDonald's putting up the price of their cheeseburger for the first time in 14 years!

They must surely have been selling it for a loss all this time, though I suppose it's only purchased for children.
Derek27

Spent a few minutes trying to find the most appropriate brush to clean the inside of the bathroom sink overflow. Then spent a couple minutes more trying to clean it, the bristles of the brush barely reaching the Boris Johnson, I mean the scum and slime.

Then I discovered a cleaning cloth with my finger pushed through the hole fitted the job perfectly. I was thinking of Kayleigh McEnany by then. :D
viney

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:08 pm
McDonald's putting up the price of their cheeseburger for the first time in 14 years!

They must surely have been selling it for a loss all this time, though I suppose it's only purchased for children.
I think the last time I had a McDonald's cheeseburger was when I got a free one with any meal as a student.
Derek27

viney wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I think the last time I had a McDonald's cheeseburger was when I got a free one with any meal as a student.
They deserve credit for keeping the price so low for so long. A bag of crisps is heading towards £1.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:54 pm
viney wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

They deserve credit for keeping the price so low for so long. A bag of crisps is heading towards £1.
Does a McDonalds cheesburger in England look anything like the picture on the menu or is it like here in Ireland where its just a burger, slice of cheese a drop of tomato sauce in the middle and if you're lucky half a slice of gherkin?!
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:00 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:54 pm
viney wrote:

Does a McDonalds cheesburger in England look anything like the picture on the menu or is it like here in Ireland where its just a burger, slice of cheese a drop of tomato sauce in the middle and if you're lucky half a slice of gherkin?!
That's what it looks like in the pictures that I see. I can't even remember if you get a slice of gerkin.

Back in the day, I used to pop in after work. I'd order a Big Mac, quarter pounder, cheeseburger and large fries. What a flipping pig! :lol:
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:07 pm
That's what it looks like in the pictures that I see. I can't even remember if you get a slice of gerkin.
In the ad the burger itself looks thicker and there's ketchup and cheese oozing out over the side. The last cheeseburger I bought there was so little ketchup or cheese on it that you'd need to run over it with a steamroller to make anything ooze over the side!

Return to “Chill Out Area”