The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

Practically every fact about the universe is mind-boggling.

1 light year =
light speed 186000 miles per second therefore
with 31,556,952 seconds per yearish
Thats 5,869,593,072,000 miles.
And the universe is believed to be 28 billion light years in diameter.
And yet everything that exists is governed by sub-atomic interactions.
If there is a God he must be really clever..... Oh sorry He's omniscient. But if so, who taught him? :-)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:55 pm
And the universe is believed to be 28 billion light years in diameter.
The observable universe is just over 90 billion light-years in diameter (due to the expansion of the universe). It's probably much bigger and nobody knows how big because we can't see beyond this particle horizon.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
If there is a God he must be really clever..... Oh sorry He's omniscient. But if so, who taught him? :-)
Whenever somebody talks to me about god, I start blinding them with astrophysics, the standard model, and our true creator, nucleosynthesis in stars. Fight fire with fire. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:23 pm
greenmark wrote:
Whenever somebody talks to me about god, I start blinding them with astrophysics, the standard model, and our true creator, nucleosynthesis in stars. Fight fire with fire. :D
Do you never get the killer argument "Yes, but God created physics too"? :-) Personally I'm agnostic and respect the beliefs of those who have a faith. I just get cheesed off when religion is held up as being "the truth" and I get labelled as a heretic or infidel.
Anyhow, even in the beer garden better steer away from that subject. :-)
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:19 pm
Personally I'm agnostic and respect the beliefs of those who have a faith.
Agnosticism is a cop out. Pick a side man! :)

Agnosticism: The view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable

By that logic I am agnostic about the existence of unicorns and fairies.

greenmark wrote:
Too late :D
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:36 pm
greenmark wrote:
Personally I'm agnostic and respect the beliefs of those who have a faith.
Agnosticism is a cop out. Pick a side man! :)

Agnosticism: The view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable

By that logic I am agnostic about the existence of unicorns and fairies.

greenmark wrote:
Too late :D
I have dabbled with religion. Some "received knowledge", some through my own curiosity.
But agnostic is where I've landed for the moment. So I have picked a side. Basically, I don't know.
Steering away was me trying to demonstrate respect for those with a faith, but I may well have failed.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:01 pm
I have dabbled with religion. Some "received knowledge", some through my own curiosity.
But agnostic is where I've landed for the moment. So I have picked a side. Basically, I don't know.
Steering away was me trying to demonstrate respect for those with a faith, but I may well have failed.
I get that, I was raised catholic and dragged along to mass every Sunday, I never believed in God though even as a kid. Having said that I never believed in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy either but I did think pro wrestling was real so wtf do I know?! :lol:
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Do you never get the killer argument "Yes, but God created physics too"? :-) Personally I'm agnostic and respect the beliefs of those who have a faith. I just get cheesed off when religion is held up as being "the truth" and I get labelled as a heretic or infidel.
That's not a killer argument. I would simply ask, how do you know? Somebody says so or the bible says so isn't an adequate answer. If they ask me the same question I can at least explain the science and give examples of proven technologies based on then.

I was once asked by a nutjob, what makes the sun rise every day? I told him the Earth's spinning!

He then asked, what makes the Earth spin? I started explaining Newton's laws of motion when he got bored and started boring someone else. :lol:

The strange thing about this argument is that religion is based on faith, which in effect is choosing to believe what you want rather than the truth, which in itself is delusional. :)
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
God is Love. Simple really.

CS
Crazyskier

Crazyskier wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
God is Love. Simple really (just as Lewis Hamilton's neck tells us).

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

CS
God is whatever you want it to be, everybody has their own idea, which is what makes god so pointless.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:57 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

CS
God is whatever you want it to be, everybody has their own idea, which is what makes god so pointless.
Or is the reason why belief in God persists so strongly, religion probably maps over human nature at least as well as politics. I acknowledge thats not nirvana, but it beats some other philosophies.
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

CS
Except that we live in a Christian country, with a Christian calendar, ruled by laws based upon the 10 Commandments, and a monarch who is the Head of the Church of England.

Billions of faithful can't all be wrong, can they?

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:

CS
Except that we live in a Christian country, with a Christian calendar, ruled by laws based upon the 10 Commandments, and a monarch who is the Head of the Church of England.

CS
Yes, they can. Billions of children believe in Father Christmas, doesn't mean he exists. Our laws are not based on the ten commandments. There is a very mild similarity but you'll find such similarities in non-Christian countries. The fact that the guy who invented the calendar (and got it wrong) was a Christian doesn't mean anything. Nobody really cares what a calender is based on.
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:45 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:37 pm
Derek27 wrote:

CS
Yes, they can. Billions of children believe in Father Christmas, doesn't mean he exists. Our laws are not based on the ten commandments. There is a very mild similarity but you'll find such similarities in non-Christian countries. The fact that the guy who invented the calendar (and got it wrong) was a Christian doesn't mean anything. Nobody really cares what a calender is based on.
There are so many factual inacuracies in this, I won't even start. There is an overwhelming body of evidence around the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Even rabid atheist historians agree that Jesus lived. The question is rather was he the Son of God?

And even the Q'uran (and all other Abrahamic faiths) agree on this point. To equate God with Father Christmas is ignorant in the extreme and just a few decades ago would have been punishable by law as it's also blasphemous. Why not at least try to keep an open mind and read some theology to see why the majority of people accept the presence of a ''Supreme Being''?

Being so resolute and making remarks designed to offend do you no favours, Derek.And guess, what? You'll know for sure, as will we all, soon enough. An open mind and the ability to at least attempt to understand the viewpoint of others is something I fear you struggle with and that makes me sad.

CS

Return to “Chill Out Area”