RIP Charlie Watts

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
firlandsfarm

The 'Stones, the best ever R&B band in the world, lose their drummer :( and if you are too young to know what I'm talking about he is the one playing the drums ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFg5RkCQ8Xs ... Glastonbury 2013, often thought to be the best performance ever on that stage (well the greatest for a band with an average age of 70! :lol: )
Euler

It's amazing how long they have maintained their level of performance as a group. Incredible really, they are true legends.
to75ne

sad so sad
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:55 pm
It's amazing how long they have maintained their level of performance as a group. Incredible really, they are true legends.
I was going to say much the same. How Jagger manages to stay so slim and energetic on stage is amazing.
greenmark

Born 1961 so the Stones have been ever-present. I was more Beatles than Stones, but they were/are a great band. Drummers seem to be either mad (Keith Moon) or rock solid. Watts and Ringo are that for me. They provide a spine to the song that gives structure to everything else.
A sad day. But what a legacy!
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:21 pm
They provide a spine to the song that gives structure to everything else.
That's a good way of putting it. What would music be without the drummer? :)
Emmson

RIP to Charlie and also to Brian Travers of UB40
greenmark

Emmson wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 pm
RIP to Charlie and also to Brian Travers of UB40
Blimey. Missed that about Travers. Really good band.
firlandsfarm

I was taking the Eurostar to Marseille a few years ago. There was only one other guy in our part of the coach and we struck up conversation, it was Bill Wyman going to Roger Moore's funeral. I was lucky enough to share 5 hours chatting with him and while we didn't talk 'Stones all the way (he is a lover of Banksy's work and has 2 originals) he did share insights into their early career.
gazuty

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:57 pm
I was taking the Eurostar to Marseille a few years ago. There was only one other guy in our part of the coach and we struck up conversation, it was Bill Wyman going to Roger Moore's funeral. I was lucky enough to share 5 hours chatting with him and while we didn't talk 'Stones all the way (he is a lover of Banksy's work and has 2 originals) he did share insights into their early career.
Wow amazing brush with fame. I guess there are all sorts of people and bumping into anyone interesting (whether or not famous) is always the fun of travel. But bumping into an interesting Strolling Bone, I mean, that's gold.
ShaunWhite

It's just a shame the Stones did nothing of interest or merit for the last 40 yrs. Ask people to name a Stones' track and they'll tell you something from the 60s or 70s. Probably why Charley did so may jazz gigs, he always looked bored shitless playing with Keef and the 'boys' doing the same old 12bar again, and again. I saw Charley in Ronnie Scotts once back in the late 80s, loving it.

Re name dropping, I sat in front of Mr Jagger and Mr Bowie in the cimema once, does that count? Strangest part was hearing two such distinctive voices behind me talking about banal things. :)

And re deaths...Poor old Sean Lock eh, proper funny and a big loss in our household.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
There was only one other guy in our part of the coach and we struck up conversation, it was Bill Wyman going to Roger Moore's funeral. I was lucky enough to share 5 hours chatting with him and while we didn't talk 'Stones all the way
I wonder if his recollection was similar.

"I found a nice quite part of the coach to contemplate Roger and the purpose of life, and this geezer came over and chewed my ear off for FIVE hours! thank god he didn't just want to talk about work like the rest of them" :D

Just kidding obv firlands, apart from having different jobs these people are no different to you or I, I'm sure he enjoyed talking to someone just on a regular level otherwise you'd have got 5mins instead of 5hrs. They get surrounded by so many sycophants so if you just treat them like normal people they respond better than you'd think, as you found.
firlandsfarm

gazuty wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:28 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Wow amazing brush with fame. I guess there are all sorts of people and bumping into anyone interesting (whether or not famous) is always the fun of travel. But bumping into an interesting Strolling Bone, I mean, that's gold.
Yeah, I didn't recognise him ... the jet black hair has shall we say gone 'lighter' and he readily confessed to having left before they started earning the mega money but that he was attending Roger Moore's funeral and having 2 Banksy originals acquired direct from the artist shows he has kept his foot in the door so to speak. I think we chatted so naturally for so long because he didn't stand on a Rolling Stones pedestal and we didn't swoon and keep on about the 'Stones, it was just a normal convo with a stranger on a train!
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:04 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
There was only one other guy in our part of the coach and we struck up conversation, it was Bill Wyman going to Roger Moore's funeral. I was lucky enough to share 5 hours chatting with him and while we didn't talk 'Stones all the way
I wonder if his recollection was similar.

"I found a nice quite part of the coach to contemplate Roger and the purpose of life, and this geezer came over and chewed my ear off for FIVE hours! thank god he didn't just want to talk about work like the rest of them" :D

Just kidding obv firlands, apart from having different jobs these people are no different to you or I, I'm sure he enjoyed talking to someone just on a regular level otherwise you'd have got 5mins instead of 5hrs. They get surrounded by so many sycophants so if you just treat them like normal people they respond better than you'd think, as you found.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As I just replied to gazuty I think it seemed to work because we didn't bombard him with questions about the 'Stones if fact I was more interested in his friendships with Roger Moore and Banksy.
gazuty

Which begs the next question - did he reveal banksys identity?

Return to “Chill Out Area”