Sir Clive Sinclair Passes Away

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:45 am
Wonder if a wobbly RAM pack on his life support machine did for him. If so then that's fair given the grief his RAM packs used to cause me! :) Classic British inventor, great ideas but undeniably ify "proof of concept" products.

Built a ZX81 kit with my dad on the kitchen table (it's 69.99 vs 99.99 son, 'how hard can it be' but even that was a week's wages for him) no soldering iron, just a braising iron on the gas stove. It worked :shock: , I used it for graphics on 2 TVs for a crappy band... And taught myself enough to get a job and ended up designing systems that transacted billions a day. Pivotal. Thanks Clive, thanks dad.

I've got an unmade ZX81 kit in the loft I bought in the late 90s, I might go look at it :|
Ha, the old 16k RAM pack, held on with an elastic band. I remember spending hours typing in a 1k chess prog in machine code, from a magazine. Only for a RAM pack wobble to wipe the lot.

Kids these days ..... :D
Ever played Hobbit, 6 minutes to load off cassette. I think it used up every available byte of RAM, sometimes failed to read the last byte and you start all over again. Fond memories all the same. :D
I remember it well, used to play all the old adventure games. Loved all the logic puzzles. Now it seems to be all RPG based
Realrocknrolla

10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Or something like that… 😂😂

My childhood coming back to me.
LeTiss

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am
10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Those early computers were great. You could create many wondrous screens on a Commodore 64 with a decent knowledge of 'Basic'
Realrocknrolla

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am
10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Those early computers were great. You could create many wondrous screens on a Commodore 64 with a decent knowledge of 'Basic'
Completely agree Tiss.

Hope your well bud!
Euler

sniffer66 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am

Ha, the old 16k RAM pack, held on with an elastic band. I remember spending hours typing in a 1k chess prog in machine code, from a magazine. Only for a RAM pack wobble to wipe the lot.

Kids these days ..... :D
I once had an all night coding session with a friend of mine and wiped the lot by dropping my coffee cup on the desk. Fortunately we did save a copy a few times. If only we could load it without an 'R: Tape loading error'
LeTiss

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:02 am

Completely agree Tiss.

Hope your well bud!
I'm well mate. I must start posting more....it became a pain though after I upgraded my McAfee subscription. Their extra layer of online security involves signing me out of a number of platforms it deems to be dangerous. This is one of them, so everytime I post I have to keep signing back in again. Nightmare

My trading is going well. 2021 looks like being my best year since 2017. I think the lockdown and seeing everyone panicking over jobs etc. made me realise how lucky I am. At 51, this is going to be my last job.....I just need to make sure I can retire when the Exchanges finally cave in
Realrocknrolla

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Completely agree Tiss.

Hope your well bud!
I'm well mate. I must start posting more....it became a pain though after I upgraded my McAfee subscription. Their extra layer of online security involves signing me out of a number of platforms it deems to be dangerous. This is one of them, so everytime I post I have to keep signing back in again. Nightmare

My trading is going well. 2021 looks like being my best year since 2017. I think the lockdown and seeing everyone panicking over jobs etc. made me realise how lucky I am. At 51, this is going to be my last job.....I just need to make sure I can retire when the Exchanges finally cave in
Good to hear mate. I only ever use the basic windows defender now. Touch wood it has been all good to now. If the exchanges do cave in, i am sure you could dabble in FX. I don’t think they will be disappearing for a while.
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:

Completely agree Tiss.

Hope your well bud!

Doesn't it have a whitelist? I stopped using anti-virus for the same reason, flipping useless. Every script I write is deemed unsafe, as if I need protection from myself!
Derek27

sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:29 pm
For anyone who wants a trip down memory lane. :D

https://www.spectaculator.com/downloads/

https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/sof ... ick-list/1
:)

I downloaded an emulator a good few years ago. Manic MIner, with sprites that coloured each other as they overlapped 8-)
Realrocknrolla

sniffer66 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:42 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I downloaded an emulator a good few years ago. Manic MIner, with sprites that coloured each other as they overlapped 8-)
Loved Manic Miner
Dallas

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Loved Manic Miner
I bought one of these last year and its pre loaded with 12'000+ retros games for Spectrum, C64, Amiga, Snes, Meme Arcade, Master System, Mega Drive, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Atari 2600 etc etc
Joystick.jpg

I think this weekends gaming will be limited to the Spectrum only
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Realrocknrolla

Dallas wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:23 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm
sniffer66 wrote:

Loved Manic Miner
I bought one of these last year and its pre loaded with 12'000+ retros games for Spectrum, C64, Amiga, Snes, Meme Arcade, Master System, Mega Drive, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Atari 2600 etc etc

Joystick.jpg

I think this weekends gaming will be limited to the Spectrum only
I want one!

💪
Derek27

There was a piece of software that provided the framework to attach simulators as people write them, so you basically had a virtual machine of every popular home computer with all the games associated with them. Can't remember what it was called.
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:53 pm
There was a piece of software that provided the framework to attach simulators as people write them, so you basically had a virtual machine of every popular home computer with all the games associated with them. Can't remember what it was called.
Mine is run from raspberry pi, when I open the joypad all that in it is the Raspberry circuit board (which is no bigger than a smart phone) with some HDMI and USB connection ports

Return to “Chill Out Area”