Sir Clive Sinclair Passes Away

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Dallas

A true pioneer in home computers has just passed away at 81
Euler

Totally changed my life and no doubt that of many others.
Derek27

I think the ZX Spectrum cost £99 or less and taught tens of thousands of children and adults to code, the old fashioned way, without compiler or the usual tools, just pen and paper and hours poking and peeking. The C-5 may not appear to be one of his best ideas but you have to credit him for being one of the first to put battery powered vehicles on the road. It reportedly had a top speed of 15mph and a range of 20 miles, and if the 12v battery ran out of power you could pedal it to the nearest USB charger. ;)
sniffer66

My first home computer was a zx80, then on to a zx81 and a Spectrum. It was his designs that first got me interested in computing and paved the way for my entire career. A real visionary. RIP
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:47 pm
My first home computer was a zx80, then on to a zx81 and a Spectrum. It was his designs that first got me interested in computing and paved the way for my entire career. A real visionary. RIP
I'm too young to remember the ZX80 or 81, only the ZX Spectrum. :lol:

I never really thought about it before but perhaps I owe my IT career to Clive Sinclair. When I left school I was told by career advisors that you need a degree in computer science to get a job as a programmer (some way removed from burning park benches ;) ). I ignored the advice, applied for jobs and was offered the first programming job I applied for, as an IBM/COBOL programmer. Looking back on it, I think the advice I was given was correct at the time but the mid 80s was a rapidly changing time, kickstarted by the likes of Sinclair bringing computers to homes.
ShaunWhite

Wonder if a wobbly RAM pack on his life support machine did for him. If so then that's fair given the grief his RAM packs used to cause me! :) Classic British inventor, great ideas but undeniably ify "proof of concept" products.

Built a ZX81 kit with my dad on the kitchen table (it's 69.99 vs 99.99 son, 'how hard can it be' but even that was a week's wages for him) no soldering iron, just a braising iron on the gas stove. It worked :shock: , I used it for graphics on 2 TVs for a crappy band... And taught myself enough to get a job and ended up designing systems that transacted billions a day. Pivotal. Thanks Clive, thanks dad.

I've got an unmade ZX81 kit in the loft I bought in the late 90s, I might go look at it :|
Derek27

So three of us on here credit him for our careers, before we've even got off the first page. :)
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:45 am
Wonder if a wobbly RAM pack on his life support machine did for him. If so then that's fair given the grief his RAM packs used to cause me! :) Classic British inventor, great ideas but undeniably ify "proof of concept" products.

Built a ZX81 kit with my dad on the kitchen table (it's 69.99 vs 99.99 son, 'how hard can it be' but even that was a week's wages for him) no soldering iron, just a braising iron on the gas stove. It worked :shock: , I used it for graphics on 2 TVs for a crappy band... And taught myself enough to get a job and ended up designing systems that transacted billions a day. Pivotal. Thanks Clive, thanks dad.

I've got an unmade ZX81 kit in the loft I bought in the late 90s, I might go look at it :|
Ha, the old 16k RAM pack, held on with an elastic band. I remember spending hours typing in a 1k chess prog in machine code, from a magazine. Only for a RAM pack wobble to wipe the lot.

Kids these days ..... :D
Derek27

sniffer66 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am
ShaunWhite wrote:

Ha, the old 16k RAM pack, held on with an elastic band. I remember spending hours typing in a 1k chess prog in machine code, from a magazine. Only for a RAM pack wobble to wipe the lot.

Ever played Hobbit, 6 minutes to load off cassette. I think it used up every available byte of RAM, sometimes failed to read the last byte and you start all over again. Fond memories all the same. :D
wearthefoxhat

in 1985 he was the Elon Musk of his time.

C5.png

users.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 am
sniffer66 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:

Ever played Hobbit, 6 minutes to load off cassette. I think it used up every available byte of RAM, sometimes failed to read the last byte and you start all over again. Fond memories all the same. :D
I remember it well, used to play all the old adventure games. Loved all the logic puzzles. Now it seems to be all RPG based
Realrocknrolla

10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Or something like that… 😂😂

My childhood coming back to me.
LeTiss

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am
10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Those early computers were great. You could create many wondrous screens on a Commodore 64 with a decent knowledge of 'Basic'
Realrocknrolla

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am
10 Print “RIP SIR CLIVE”
20 GOTO 10

Run

Those early computers were great. You could create many wondrous screens on a Commodore 64 with a decent knowledge of 'Basic'
Completely agree Tiss.

Hope your well bud!
Euler

sniffer66 wrote:

I once had an all night coding session with a friend of mine and wiped the lot by dropping my coffee cup on the desk. Fortunately we did save a copy a few times. If only we could load it without an 'R: Tape loading error'

Return to “Chill Out Area”