Paul Merson

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
rik

megarain

Good value speaker. Heard him at a West Brom charity event.

Said his biggest bet (at the time), was 440k on Istabraq to win the Champion Hurdle .. it won but owed the bookies
at the end of the week.

He's definitely taken part.
PapaShango

Surely though, with his wages as a footballer, and even as a pundit, he would have sailed through any “affordability checks” ?

Which kind of makes a mockery of the whole idea that affordability checks are going to stop an addict from losing their money.
Trader Pat

I thought it was a good watch and you have to feel sorry for the guy. His whole approach to betting seemed to be if its more likely to happen then it has to happen so he puts all his money on that outcome. Imagine living your life like that.

Another programme that doesn't show the gambling industry in a good light though, especially those stories at the end.

When soccer saturday sacked Le Tissier, Nicholas and Thompson I couldn't figure out why they kept Merson on, he's the worst pundit out of the four of them think I understand now.
Derek27

I wish he let me manage his betting accounts and split the profits. ;)
PapaShango

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 am
I think you'd struggle to get Pauls stakes matched on the Bolivian Primera Division matches, Derek !

I'll admit I've not watched the program, I don't think I can stomach any more anti gambling propaganda, it's not like there isn't enough of it about already at present.

I'm a fan of Paul Merson. I like him as a pundit and loved him as a player. Though it sits a bit uneasy having him shilling for skybet on soccer Saturday one week, then on bbc trying to bring the industry down the next.
Derek27

PapaShango wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 am
I think you'd struggle to get Pauls stakes matched on the Bolivian Primera Division matches, Derek !

I'll admit I've not watched the program, I don't think I can stomach any more anti gambling propaganda, it's not like there isn't enough of it about already at present.

I'm a fan of Paul Merson. I like him as a pundit and loved him as a player. Though it sits a bit uneasy having him shilling for skybet on soccer Saturday one week, then on bbc trying to bring the industry down the next.
Istabraq won the Champion Hurdle 1998-2000, I was a racing punter in those days. They limit me to £2 or less now but imagine handling his account and getting 6-figure sums on with Paddy Power. :)

I was a virtual Arsenal fan in the nineties in that I've never actually been to Highbury. Shame that great players like him, Gascoigne and the likes can struggle so much outside the game.

Return to “Chill Out Area”