Climate Change 🔥☄️🌋🌪

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:01 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:45 pm
Best slogan so far. "Don't go breaking my Earth".
🎵 I think its already fried 🎵
New best slogan.
Ms Thunberg added: "We know that our emperors are naked."

Edit: Apologies. There may be some that aren't familiar with Hans Christian Andersen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emper ... ew_Clothes
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Kai wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm
Another good documentary btw, way ahead of its time : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/
That isn't a documentary! It's fiction.
elofan0

Good job we arent in the stone age theyd be telling us rubbing two sticks together would be doing the environment but looking back fred n barney had it all figured out with their car moving it with their feet :lol:
alexmr2

Here's my opinion, "climate change" is naturally occuring and beyond the control of humans i.e. temperatures go up and down in cycles regardless of what humans do.

Over the next couple of decades globalists, governments and the media will propagandise this to use as a tool to make money/change society/slow the depletion of resources to make society more sustainable. When you look at countries like China who opted out of COP26 (they pollute more than all developed countries combined) it is a bit of a joke that the blame will be put on us.

IMO the real crisis is that of resource depletion especially with a rapidly growing global population, many high consuming countries have only accelerated it in the last few decades. When the oil begins to run out/become too expensive to extract we have a serious problem as food can no longer be delivered or even grown on a mass scale (farm machinery needs it). Another example is that global production of metals such as cobalt and lithium for electric car batteries is wayyy not enough to replace every fossil fuel vehicle with an electric counterpart. I read that we would need 1800% of global cobalt production to replace the EU fleet of cars alone, so we can only hope that technology develops to overcome this issue.

I do believe that the intention is to slow the consumption of resources and create a sustainable society to avoid complete disaster in the future, if resources begin to run out when we are unprepared then it could lead to famine and war
jamesg46

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:55 pm
Here's my opinion, "climate change" is naturally occuring and beyond the control of humans i.e. temperatures go up and down in cycles regardless of what humans do.

Over the next couple of decades globalists, governments and the media will propagandise this to use as a tool to make money/change society/slow the depletion of resources to make society more sustainable. When you look at countries like China who opted out of COP26 (they pollute more than all developed countries combined) it is a bit of a joke that the blame will be put on us.

IMO the real crisis is that of resource depletion especially with a rapidly growing global population, many high consuming countries have only accelerated it in the last few decades. When the oil begins to run out/become too expensive to extract we have a serious problem as food can no longer be delivered or even grown on a mass scale (farm machinery needs it). Another example is that global production of metals such as cobalt and lithium for electric car batteries is wayyy not enough to replace every fossil fuel vehicle with an electric counterpart. I read that we would need 1800% of global cobalt production to replace the EU fleet of cars alone, so we can only hope that technology develops to overcome this issue.

I do believe that the intention is to slow the consumption of resources and create a sustainable society to avoid complete disaster in the future, if resources begin to run out when we are unprepared then it could lead to famine and war
I’ve been waiting for you to comment & you haven’t disappointed!
PapaShango

LOL it’s noticeable on social media that as Covid seems to be fizzling out the Covid skeptic data experts are slowly morphing into climate skeptic data experts.

Questioning the science, producing their own graphs, saying it would have happened anyway, it’s just a cold, it’s just weather !!

Im not getting involved in the latest circular argument,I’m sitting this one out .

I’ve started making my own compost, so I’m doing my bit .
ANGELS15

The tragedy of this is that I can see this country flapping in the wind spending vast sums trying to invest in expensive new green technology. The public taxed to the eyeballs. Meanwhile huge nations with massive industrial might and capacity burn their huge supplies of fossil fuels and more than likely manufacturing the very windmills, solar panels and electric vehicles we'll need. These big nations account for the bulk of the man-made contribution to climate change.
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:55 pm

I think we all know what you think better than you do. :)
Simoba

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:17 pm
Just waffle at the end of the day

A bit like the first 'deal' of COP26; more than 100 world leaders have promised to end deforestation (and reverse it) by 2030, Brazil are among the signatories. Deforestation in Brazil could be ended next week if they really wanted to. There are lots of real time imaging satellites orbiting the Earth so surely it wouldn't be that difficult to see illegal logging in the Amazon and pass that information on to the Brazilian authorities?

These conferences are just pat each other on the back and kick the can down the road exercises.
Then again Pat, can any of these excesses be ended tomorrow? There are vested interests. Thats really the issue, it isn't me, you or Greta. Its people with a lot to lose that don't want to shift. Thats why I think Greta is great (arf!). She's very influential, untouchable and correct. She can say stuff politicians can't.
As individuals the human race isn't very good at doing what's best for ourselves so I don't hold out much hope for us collectively.

Greta is a whole other conversation! Most of the 'kids' who become climate activists or anti nuclear campaigners or whatever all have to grow up when life happens. I think Greta is different because of her following so it looks like she'll be in the public eye for quite a while to come but judging by some of the coverage of her leaving the COP26 building today with her entourage it looks like she's gone full Megan Thee Stallion (without the drinks glass between her ass cheeks)!

Ultimately we're all hypocrites in one way or another, so I can say climate change is real and the world needs to sit up and take notice but I still eat meat and drive a petrol powered car. Difference between people like me and those at COP26 is we're amateur hypocrites and they're professional hypocrites. Everything a politician says, whatever the party or country is said to appease one group or other in their electorate and to pass the buck onto their successor.

It's all just hot air so they can live another day.
Being an optimist, I do have faith in the intelligence and collective responsibility of humanity and to all do what we personally can as individuals to deal with this crisis. Covid is a walk in the park compared to what climate change will bring upon us. https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/si ... te-1271482
As you say, the world does need to do something about this issue, so I take that upon myself to do what I can. I know plenty of friends and family members who are changing the way they live, even with small measures. Of course we are all hypocrites to some degree, even the clothes we wear, putting the heating on, everything has a footprint. However, we can all change our diets, we can all stop buying mountains of "stuff", stop wasting as much, we can all drive less / not at all, etc etc. For me, it is about thinking how each action affects the planet we all rely on. Our personal actions may not be enough, however for the sake of future generations, I cannot just give up hope and carry on selfishly living as I have for the last 55 years of my life. That is irresponsible at best.
jimibt

Simoba wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:47 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:41 pm

Then again Pat, can any of these excesses be ended tomorrow? There are vested interests. Thats really the issue, it isn't me, you or Greta. Its people with a lot to lose that don't want to shift. Thats why I think Greta is great (arf!). She's very influential, untouchable and correct. She can say stuff politicians can't.
As individuals the human race isn't very good at doing what's best for ourselves so I don't hold out much hope for us collectively.

Greta is a whole other conversation! Most of the 'kids' who become climate activists or anti nuclear campaigners or whatever all have to grow up when life happens. I think Greta is different because of her following so it looks like she'll be in the public eye for quite a while to come but judging by some of the coverage of her leaving the COP26 building today with her entourage it looks like she's gone full Megan Thee Stallion (without the drinks glass between her ass cheeks)!

Ultimately we're all hypocrites in one way or another, so I can say climate change is real and the world needs to sit up and take notice but I still eat meat and drive a petrol powered car. Difference between people like me and those at COP26 is we're amateur hypocrites and they're professional hypocrites. Everything a politician says, whatever the party or country is said to appease one group or other in their electorate and to pass the buck onto their successor.

It's all just hot air so they can live another day.
Being an optimist, I do have faith in the intelligence and collective responsibility of humanity and to all do what we personally can as individuals to deal with this crisis. Covid is a walk in the park compared to what climate change will bring upon us. https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/si ... te-1271482
As you say, the world does need to do something about this issue, so I take that upon myself to do what I can. I know plenty of friends and family members who are changing the way they live, even with small measures. Of course we are all hypocrites to some degree, even the clothes we wear, putting the heating on, everything has a footprint. However, we can all change our diets, we can all stop buying mountains of "stuff", stop wasting as much, we can all drive less / not at all, etc etc. For me, it is about thinking how each action affects the planet we all rely on. Our personal actions may not be enough, however for the sake of future generations, I cannot just give up hope and carry on selfishly living as I have for the last 55 years of my life. That is irresponsible at best.
hear, hear!!
Trader Pat

Believe it or not I'm an optimist too :)
greenmark

Stumbled across this graph for the relative impact of various foods on CO2 emissions.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visual ... each-food/

Look at the land use and farm figures for beef.
Thats it for me.
Lamb or pork mince for spags and chilli from now on.

Not had a beef steak for yonks, won't miss it.
greenmark

Thats what we need.
Leading politician tearful on climate change.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59277788
Make of my comment what you will.
greenmark

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:29 pm
https://youtu.be/sohBiFEHl7s

Greta
Can you explain that post? She was/is a child. And for sure IMO her parents have a great influence on what she says.
But thats not the point, she motivates young people to be interested in our environment. And also to be radical about how they express their opinions .
Us lazy adults have had plenty of time to act and have basically done fuck all.

Return to “Chill Out Area”