Climate Change 🔥☄️🌋🌪

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Realrocknrolla

Thought I would start one off… as we all like a debate.

Cows really do burp a lot don’t they!
Kai

Nice, I hear it's a hot topic right now
Realrocknrolla

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:04 pm
Nice, I hear it's a hot topic right now
Gold! 🤣🤣🤣
Kai

I'm serious, ignoring climate change could really land is in hot water
Realrocknrolla

https://meatfreemondays.com/

This looks interesting.

I don’t mind one day without a T-bone steak 🥩
Trader Pat

If the science is accurate its probably already too late, the rest of the world is basically waiting for the US and China to get their acts together which isn't likely to happen anytime soon. On the micro level its not much better. Most people aren't bothered enough or at all to change their habits.

Food tech is improving all the time so I could see a day where the boffins can make a decent meat substitute from plants and it would be hard to tell the difference. If Burger King's plant based whopper is anything to go by we're not there yet 🤢

Moral of the story.. don't invest in property with an ocean view :!:
Derek27

I enjoyed my first plant-based whopper but I was pissed - the next was flipping awful. :lol:

I may be missing something but I'm baffled as to why that little schoolgirl has such a huge following. If she's going to write off COP26 before it's even begun and not give them a chance she can hardly complain about lack of action.

By the way, you can get a double whopper, bacon double cheeseburger XL or crispy chicken for £3 on the app, weekdays between 2 and 5. :D
footysystems

Greta is a real pain glad she's not my daughter :lol:
greenmark

footysystems wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 pm
That's interesting. With Andrew Marr she said "you have to piss people off". And I do believe she's right. Even BJ says we're a minute from midnight on the climate.
andy28

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Thought I would start one off… as we all like a debate.

Cows really do burp a lot don’t they!
Soon they will breed that out of cows, they have Identified a gene that makes them fart and will breed that out of them. Plus they can train the cows to go to a cow public toilet, they get a reward if they do number 1 or 2 if they don't then no reward. Cows are smart they can also milk themselves. All the farmer does is sit back at home on the PC and monitor what is going on, the cows are all named have collars that keep track of what they do and tracks their well being. The farmer knows everything about each cow even when it likes being milked (some go at like 2am) and how much milk it produces.

So big brother is really watching them
footysystems

greenmark wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:28 pm
footysystems wrote:
That's interesting. With Andrew Marr she said "you have to piss people off". And I do believe she's right. Even BJ says we're a minute from midnight on the climate.
Bj is right to be pissed off didn't India say today will be another 50 years before they can comply ? Greta won't be happy there.
greenmark

footysystems wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
footysystems wrote:
Bj is right to be pissed off didn't India say today will be another 50 years before they can comply ? Greta won't be happy there.
Lol. So she's failed to piss off 1.38 billion. Doh!
Tuco

I watched a Storyville (BBC4) last night called 'The Age of Stupid' (from 2009) which was about climate change looking back from 2055 on our failure to act in the present day (2008). All present and past footage was real and all future footage/predictions were based on the latest and most up to date scientific models.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pft7f

I find many of the Storyville episodes truly excellent, captivating viewing, though many are chillingly real so do beware.

'Under The Wire'
'K2: The Killer Summit'
'Whirlybird: Live above LA'
OJ: made in America' (5 parts)
'Being Evel Knievel'
'Inside Lehman Brothers: The mortgage scandal that rocked America'
'This is Congo'

...were compulsive viewing

clips can be seen here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mfx6/clips

WARNING: this is very real, often chilling documentary footage

This is what it says about Under the Wire:

"On 13 February 2012, war-correspondent Marie Colvin and photographer Paul Conroy entered war-ravaged Syria to cover the plight of civilians trapped in the besieged city of Homs, under attack by the Syrian army. Only one of them returned.

This is their story.

Marie Colvin was one the most fearless reporters of her time. She dedicated her life to bearing witness to the lives of ordinary people caught up in the world’s most dangerous conflicts. She covered Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel and Palestine, Sri Lanka, Chechnya and East Timor, and was on first-name terms with leaders like Muammar Gaddafi and Yasser Arafat.

In 2001 she lost the sight in her left eye after being caught in crossfire by a piece of shrapnel. On 13 February 2012, Marie was smuggled into Syria with her photographer, Paul Conroy. Despite intelligence reports that foreign journalists found in the area ‘would be executed and their bodies put on the battlefield, as if caught in crossfire’, they headed to Homs, determined to uncover the horror of Syrian civilians trapped by the conflict. Only one of them would return.

Based on the book of the same name by Paul Conroy, Under The Wire is the incredible story of Paul and Marie’s fateful mission, and Paul’s epic battle to escape the city to tell the world of his fallen colleague and the plight of the people of Homs. Under the Wire is a film about real journalism, about war and about an extraordinary commitment to telling the truth, whatever the cost."

...and this is what it says about K2: The Killer Summit:

"In August 2008, 25 climbers from several international expeditions converged on high camp of K2, the final stop before the summit of the most dangerous mountain on earth. Just 48 hours later, 11 had been killed or simply vanished, making it the deadliest day in mountaineering history.

In a century of assaults on K2, only about 300 people have ever seen the view from the planet's second highest peak. More than a quarter of those who made it didn't live long enough to share the glory.

At the heart of this documentary lies a mystery about one extraordinary Irishman, Ger McDonnell. At the very limit of his physical resources, he faced a heartbreaking dilemma. Through recreations, archive and home movie footage, and interviews with survivors and families, the film creates a forensic, vivid version of events that is emotive, engrossing and, at times, deeply shocking."
Lutruwita

greenmark wrote:
footysystems wrote:
If she really is of the thought that climate change is so dire, why does she oppose nuclear energy? I don't believe that is a compatible view. Maybe it's all an act of self-indulgence.
jimibt

Aarondewit wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:28 am
greenmark wrote:
footysystems wrote:
If she really is of the thought that climate change is so dire, why does she oppose nuclear energy? I don't believe that is a compatible view. Maybe it's all an act of self-indulgence.
i don't think it's nuclear power per-se that she's objecting to, its the fact that we are still some way off from having a near zero halflife (or rather, dealing with the fact that the halflife can be thousands of years) on the depleted U235 (U238 is the *safe*(er) byproduct). however, investment in R&D will definitely speed up this quest. it's one of those techs where you have to look at the complete lifecycle, rather than just the emissions from the creation of the energy from the source.

Return to “Chill Out Area”