Climate Change 🔥☄️🌋🌪

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:57 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:29 pm
https://youtu.be/sohBiFEHl7s

Greta
Can you explain that post? She was/is a child. And for sure IMO her parents have a great influence on what she says.
But thats not the point, she motivates young people to be interested in our environment. And also to be radical about how they express their opinions .
Us lazy adults have had plenty of time to act and have basically done fuck all.
No explanation. Was just a link I came across so I shared it.
Okey Dokey. So my interpretaion is ok too. She did look like a rabbit in the headlights. But regardless of whether her publicity is her or her parents, I believe it's correct and we should all pay attention and change our behaviour. Forget the fact that 'next door' are profligate with energy. It's what YOU do. That's what is so brilliant about Greta.
It's the message.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:51 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:31 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Can you explain that post? She was/is a child. And for sure IMO her parents have a great influence on what she says.
But thats not the point, she motivates young people to be interested in our environment. And also to be radical about how they express their opinions .
Us lazy adults have had plenty of time to act and have basically done fuck all.
No explanation. Was just a link I came across so I shared it.
Okey Dokey. So my interpretaion is ok too. She did look like a rabbit in the headlights. But regardless of whether her publicity is her or her parents, I believe it's correct and we should all pay attention and change our behaviour. Forget the fact that 'next door' are profligate with energy. It's what YOU do. That's what is so brilliant about Greta.
It's the message.
We need to change our behaviour as a nation/world but we certainly don't have to pay attention to Greta. We have our own scientists and she doesn't even know what her message is. :lol:
andy28

Nothing will change, too many people make a living from studying the impacts on climate change. It is clear we all know what is happening yet Governments still throw Billions if not Trillions into studies about climate change, yet problem solvers that can help struggle to get funding. What is the the carbon footprint of all these people involved in the studies over the year? What is the net result of these studies? Same thing as the previous one except said in a different way, beautiful

We have known about Global warming for decades now and what infrastructure have governments put in place? Next to nothing. Here in NZ there is a push for electric cars, yet last winter there were random towns being selected where the power was shut off by the National Grid because demand (the coldest nights) was going to exceed supply. So how on earth are they going to supply power when electric cars plugged into the grid? Why did they run out of power because the Government didn't want Huntly fired up but they had to because of the public out cry, a coal fired generator that chews through 1m Tonnes of coal a year. So our solution will be use electric cars powered by coal generators, brilliant.

Not only that but Transmission lines have also been neglected and even if they could produce the power they couldn't even distribute it. Yet the government announce a new Ministry to look into climate change? At what Cost? What will the carbon footprint of that be? Why not pump that cash into upgrades to the National Grid/Cleaner Generation?

The solution is up to the individual and the problem is most don't really care, they say they do but they don't apart from doing the recycling on a Tuesday. Covid proof of this, how many has that killed WW? 5m+? How was that spread, travel! Yet what is the first thing people want to do once boarders are open? Travel ffs, whats the carbon footprint of travel a year? Government here were pissed off APEC was held via zoom they wanted it held here because it would have brought 15000 people into the country, and also was a good chance to promote the country for tourism. I saw they are promoting NZ in the UK so that when the borders are open people can come to the country. but they impose a fart tax on farmers.

The other reason nothing will happen is because of the speed the population is going at. We all know about bell curves and the population is no different at some point that graph will drop, life can't be sustained no matter what we do, SARS, Covid19 and the like are indicators we are getting over populated. Apart from the Sun, Wind, Rain there is no such thing as renewable energy. The Plant has X amount of energy and with the population racing towards 9Billion that energy will get used up at some point. every breathe/step/action we take is taking away from that amount. At some point Mother Nature will say enough is enough and will make the decision for us and hit the reset button and at that point there will be nothing that we can do to stop it.

But I am sure at that point the Governments around the world will ask for a study of what the impact will be for the human race

Anyway that's my rant for the day
greenmark

andy28 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:07 am
Nothing will change, too many people make a living from studying the impacts on climate change. It is clear we all know what is happening yet Governments still throw Billions if not Trillions into studies about climate change, yet problem solvers that can help struggle to get funding. What is the the carbon footprint of all these people involved in the studies over the year? What is the net result of these studies? Same thing as the previous one except said in a different way, beautiful

We have known about Global warming for decades now and what infrastructure have governments put in place? Next to nothing. Here in NZ there is a push for electric cars, yet last winter there were random towns being selected where the power was shut off by the National Grid because demand (the coldest nights) was going to exceed supply. So how on earth are they going to supply power when electric cars plugged into the grid? Why did they run out of power because the Government didn't want Huntly fired up but they had to because of the public out cry, a coal fired generator that chews through 1m Tonnes of coal a year. So our solution will be use electric cars powered by coal generators, brilliant.

Not only that but Transmission lines have also been neglected and even if they could produce the power they couldn't even distribute it. Yet the government announce a new Ministry to look into climate change? At what Cost? What will the carbon footprint of that be? Why not pump that cash into upgrades to the National Grid/Cleaner Generation?

The solution is up to the individual and the problem is most don't really care, they say they do but they don't apart from doing the recycling on a Tuesday. Covid proof of this, how many has that killed WW? 5m+? How was that spread, travel! Yet what is the first thing people want to do once boarders are open? Travel ffs, whats the carbon footprint of travel a year? Government here were pissed off APEC was held via zoom they wanted it held here because it would have brought 15000 people into the country, and also was a good chance to promote the country for tourism. I saw they are promoting NZ in the UK so that when the borders are open people can come to the country. but they impose a fart tax on farmers.

The other reason nothing will happen is because of the speed the population is going at. We all know about bell curves and the population is no different at some point that graph will drop, life can't be sustained no matter what we do, SARS, Covid19 and the like are indicators we are getting over populated. Apart from the Sun, Wind, Rain there is no such thing as renewable energy. The Plant has X amount of energy and with the population racing towards 9Billion that energy will get used up at some point. every breathe/step/action we take is taking away from that amount. At some point Mother Nature will say enough is enough and will make the decision for us and hit the reset button and at that point there will be nothing that we can do to stop it.

But I am sure at that point the Governments around the world will ask for a study of what the impact will be for the human race

Anyway that's my rant for the day
Crikey. That's one the best rants I've seen.
I'll have to digest it fully tomorrow.
But as a start point "nothing will change" doesnt chime with my experience or my belief. Humans are incredibly stupid/selfish and clever/selfless. And I honestly believe the latter is stronger.
andy28

I do apologies for that rant a bit OTT, I guess what I am saying in short is Climate Change has Billions being thrown at it every year and people all want a piece of the pie, and thats all they are after.

I am a Plumber by trade and if you called me to come and fix your leaking pipe and I turned up with no tools or parts and continuously kept telling you that it needs fixing, getting a 2nd 3rd or 4th opinion is of no use we all know what the problem is.

But would you pay me for to look at it and say it needs fixing, or would you rather I just fix it?

It that's simple for me.
ANGELS15

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:17 pm
Stumbled across this graph for the relative impact of various foods on CO2 emissions.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visual ... each-food/

Look at the land use and farm figures for beef.
Thats it for me.
Lamb or pork mince for spags and chilli from now on.

Not had a beef steak for yonks, won't miss it.
You may find this article interesting. Basically what they're saying is that animal methane breaks down after 10 years and has a negligible effect on the environment.

https://www.alltech.com/blog/3-myths-de ... nvironment
greenmark

andy28 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:43 am
I do apologies for that rant a bit OTT, I guess what I am saying in short is Climate Change has Billions being thrown at it every year and people all want a piece of the pie, and thats all they are after.

I am a Plumber by trade and if you called me to come and fix your leaking pipe and I turned up with no tools or parts and continuously kept telling you that it needs fixing, getting a 2nd 3rd or 4th opinion is of no use we all know what the problem is.

But would you pay me for to look at it and say it needs fixing, or would you rather I just fix it?

It that's simple for me.
Don't think any apologies are needed chief.
If we can't throw ideas around on this subject, all hope is gone.
And I understand this is principally a betting/trading forum, but there are evidently some clever people on here, so if the mods allow it, why not try to provoke discussion on the biggest issue there is?

That aside, I think there has been action. Wind farms and solar panels are commonplace in the UK.
Nuclear fusion is on the horizon and research for it is eye-wateringly expensive. So that is very significant action too.
Plus Greta et al making loud noises and getting people wound up (altho some don't like it) is also action.
There are other technolgies out there too. Hydrogen is viable if enough money is thrown at it.
For me, the issue isn't whether we have the ability to resolve climate change.
I honestly believe we can deal with this. It's how to do that a pace that is effective, but doesn't wreck socio-political stability.
For example, if tomorrow we found an alternative to oil, the OPEC nations (who are mostly over-reliant on oil for income) would collapse.
How do you transition from oil to X ....and maintain stability in those nations?
It's a very complex thing.
Even a simple thing like not eating beef would be devastating for those employed/invested in beef production.
greenmark

ANGELS15 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:17 pm
greenmark wrote:
Stumbled across this graph for the relative impact of various foods on CO2 emissions.

Thats it for me.

You may find this article interesting. Basically what they're saying is that animal methane breaks down after 10 years and has a negligible effect on the environment.

Thanks for that.
My interpretation of it is that recognises that methane is a GHG. If we maintain herds at current levels we won't add additional GHG's to the atmos.
But do we really need the herds we've got?
Other meat is per kg better in this respect. So why not reduce beef consumption/production?
Maybe my written comprehension skills are deficient. Wouldn't surprise me! :-)
Do you think that article is a green light for me to go back to beef?
Please say 'yes'. Bought some lamb mince on Saturday and was astounded at the cost.
3 times more expensive than beef. Yikes!
Trader Pat

ANGELS15 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Thats it for me.

A quick google search shows this guy has significant ties to beef, pork and dairy industries in the US and in the past his claims have been dismissed by other scientists.

He's right about methane breaking down after 10 years or so, it has a half life of 9 years but its 80 times more powerful than carbon dioxide at warming the Earth so swings and roundabouts!
Derek27

ANGELS15 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Thats it for me.

That doesn't make any sense. If methane brakes down in an average 10-year cycle it should break down that the rate it was emitted 10 years ago, so increasing cattle size would increase the amount of methane in the atmosphere, and 10 years is a long time to be heating up the planet. I reckon he was eating a burger when he wrote that. :)
ANGELS15

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:28 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Thats it for me.

That doesn't make any sense. If methane brakes down in an average 10-year cycle it should break down that the rate it was emitted 10 years ago, so increasing cattle size would increase the amount of methane in the atmosphere, and 10 years is a long time to be heating up the planet. I reckon he was eating a burger when he wrote that. :)
My local grocers have jumped on the bandwagon, they're promoting sales of beans to encourage people to go vegetarian. You get a free bubble bath with each can sold. :)
alexmr2

Screenshot_20211115-175721_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

ANGELS15 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:54 pm
My local grocers have jumped on the bandwagon, they're promoting sales of beans to encourage people to go vegetarian. You get a free bubble bath with each can sold. :)
That's one way of getting rid of tins of crap nobody wants to buy!

The bubble bath is unnecessary though as you'd be able to produce your own 😖💨
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:58 pm
Screenshot_20211115-175721_Gallery.jpg
Useless piece of information Alex. Doesn't even have a location.
ANGELS15

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:18 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:54 pm
That's one way of getting rid of tins of crap nobody wants to buy!

The bubble bath is unnecessary though as you'd be able to produce your own 😖💨
Er thats what I was hinting at... : ;)

Return to “Chill Out Area”