Andrew Marr leaving the BBC

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
weemac

Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Theirs always a bigger grammar nazi!

That appears to be the lesson here.
The lesson is that if you're going to correct someone else's linguistics, you might end up hoist with your own petard.
Kai

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:14 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:11 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:09 pm

It’s “There’s” but I know you did that on purpose ;)
Damn, your right. Butt case in point!
Didn’t you have a meme for this?.
No I think Mark has learnt ze lesson

JasBarrow

weemac wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:15 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Theirs always a bigger grammar nazi!

That appears to be the lesson here.
The lesson is that if you're going to correct someone else's linguistics, you might end up hoist with your own petard.
Grammar Nazis are the least of this threads problems
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:52 pm
Usually nursing a hangover while continually peeling my fore skin from the boxers.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:55 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:14 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Damn, your right. Butt case in point!
Didn’t you have a meme for this?.
No I think Mark has learnt ze lesson

Sobering to be described as a Nazi. That's the worst insult I've ever received.
Top quality offensiveness. :-)
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:31 pm
Sobering to be described as a Nazi. That's the worst insult I've ever received.
Top quality offensiveness. :-)
To be fair, there are far worse things than being called a nazi :) Like being called a grammar nazi! :D

Should probably put this in the dadjoke thread but here's a fun little fact!

Crazyskier

I concur that it is indeed sad to see Mr. Marr depart the Beeb. Like Piers Morgan, he is soon to front a new show where they can actually have a reasonable and robust debate of a variety opinions and topics, unlike their previous roles.

Incidentally, I'm not quite as sad at Mr.Andrew Marr resigning after 21 years at the Beeb, as I was when a certain Mr. Johnny Marr left the Smiths in '87. But that's just me.

CS
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:33 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:21 pm
No idea who he is but relieving himself of the BBC must of taken a skip over a toilet.
It's 'must have'.
I, like Greenmark, appreciate the correct use of Queen's English and always strive for the highest standards (though often fall short myself!). It's not ''pedantic'' to attempt to educate and raise standards in my view.

Unlike Greenmark however, I genuinely speak 7 languages to a degree of fluency, learned over many years working overseas. Make of that what you will.

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:21 pm
No idea who he is but relieving himself of the BBC must of taken a skip over a toilet.
It's 'must have'.
I, like Greenmark, appreciate the correct use of Queen's English and always strive for the highest standards (though often fall short myself!). It's not ''pedantic'' to attempt to educate and raise standards in my view.

Unlike Greenmark however, I genuinely speak 7 languages to a degree of fluency, learned over many years working overseas. Make of that what you will.

CS
That's fascinating. I've worked with Swedes, Japanese, Spaniards and Finn's. All speaking coherent intelligible English. It was the latter that struggled the most with English. But their English compared to my grasp of their native language was like comparing an embryo to an adult. One of the greatest regrets of my life was not to learn another language.
I am now in awe of you.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 pm
One of the greatest regrets of my life was not to learn another language.
Never too late, give it a whirl : https://www.duolingo.com/
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:35 pm
greenmark wrote:

It's 'must have'.

CS
That's fascinating. I've worked with Swedes, Japanese, Spaniards and Finn's. All speaking coherent intelligible English. It was the latter that struggled the most with English. But their English compared to my grasp of their native language was like comparing an embryo to an adult. One of the greatest regrets of my life was not to learn another language.
I am now in awe of you.
I actually worked with many Finns (Suomi) while living in the Algarve in Portugal. I was also engaged to a Finnish lady from Lahti at one point, so spent some time understanding their language and culture.It seems to be a mix of Russian and loose Scandi, very different from Norsk, Dansk, Svensk, etc.

I'd like to say that I'm a cunning linguist, however the old grey matter is now very much in decline, and the phrase 'use it or lose it' very much the case with me now, sadly.

CS
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:54 pm
greenmark wrote:
One of the greatest regrets of my life was not to learn another language.
Never too late, give it a whirl : https://www.duolingo.com/
Apologies. Ignorant of me not to say Ta for the link.Cheers.
LeTiss

Met Andrew Marr many years ago. He was rather ignorant, although it was away from work, so perhaps he just wanted privacy.

About 18-20 years ago I used to run 10k races every Sunday. I ran a race in Oxford called the Woodstock 10k.
He was a competitor. Very short and not a looker, He had a rubbery face like a Spitting Image character
Seemed very annoyed at being recognised
greenmark

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:38 am
Met Andrew Marr many years ago. He was rather ignorant, although it was away from work, so perhaps he just wanted privacy.

About 18-20 years ago I used to run 10k races every Sunday. I ran a race in Oxford called the Woodstock 10k.
He was a competitor. Very short and not a looker, He had a rubbery face like a Spitting Image character
Lol That's probably your most unfair post I've seen from your good self. I don't rate Marr on his height or looks. I rate him on his Rottweiler-like pursuit of evasive politicians (of any wing).
And I imagine he is really quite abrupt in person.
I'm looking forward to the 'unleashed' Marr on LBC. But one of the things I absolutely loved about him was the pent up energy of being constrained by BBC impartialty and how he channeled that energy into being a complete pain in the arse to his political 'guests'.
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:

I didn't realise you had an interest in men. ;)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:53 am
LeTiss wrote:

Lol That's probably your most unfair post I've seen from your good self. I don't rate Marr on his height or looks. I rate him on his Rottweiler-like pursuit of evasive politicians (of any wing).
And I imagine he is really quite abrupt in person.
I'm looking forward to the 'unleashed' Marr on LBC. But one of the things I absolutely loved about him was the pent up energy of being constrained by BBC impartialty and how he channeled that energy into being a complete pain in the arse to his political 'guests'.
I don't take much notice of people's height, but I was a bit surprised when I discovered my MP, who I had often seen on the local news, was only about 5' 5". I was worried he might get bullied about by other MPs and have his vote taken from him. And our chancellor Rishi Sunak, looked quite tall and business like, the sort of guy you could trust to handle the economy; then I realise he's 5' 6". He must have a chest size of about 30!

As for Stalin, if I ever met him I'd have given him a smack. :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”