What’s the nicest thing you’ve done for someone else?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Korattt

last week an elderly gentleman tried to hand me a £20 tip whilst on delivery, I told him to give it to charity in his wife’s name, a few months ago he lost his wife with Alzheimer’s, he left a copy of an email on his postbox saying that he’d passed the donation on to the Alzheimer’s Society & matched it.. my “warm & fuzzy” moment of the year that
Derek27

When I used to volunteer I was asked to dig up a deep-rooted hedge for a blind lady. Apparently, four council workers turned up just to make an assessment but she never heard from them. I managed to get the job done in a day. She was delighted and phoned the Volunteer Bureau the next day to tell them how polite and charming I was. :D
Realrocknrolla

Saved a local farmers life in Kosovo after the tractor rolled down an embankment and landed on top of him. Was -11 degrees. Had to crawl under the tractor and keep the old boy warm and alive until we could get the tractor off him to pull him out safely. He had a broken leg and few minor injuries. He hobbled to the camp gates daily to thank me and bring me gifts.

Always try and give homeless a coffee if I get the chance too. When out and about in town.
ANGELS15

Some years ago I had a part time job in a bingo hall. One day after the saturday afternoon session had finished I was walking through the hall and noticed one of the regular old dears sitting at the back looking a little upset. It turned out she had won a line on a ticket and had been handed her prize (£10) in a prize envelope. She had placed it on the table with a lot of other used tickets and other rubbish. The cleaners had been going around clearing the rubbish off the tables. The old lady had lost her prize envelope. I suspected the cleaners had probably swept it off the table into a rubbish sack

I knew how much this win meant to the lady as she didn't win very often but always kept a cheerful demeanour. I asked her to hold on for a few minutes. I went outside to the back pulled the rubbish sacks out of the bin and rummaged through them. I found her prize envelope and brought it to her. She was overjoyed. Sadly she passed a away a few years later but I was glad that I had brought a little happiness to her that day.
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:26 pm
When I used to volunteer I was asked to dig up a deep-rooted hedge for a blind lady. Apparently, four council workers turned up just to make an assessment but she never heard from them. I managed to get the job done in a day. She was delighted and phoned the Volunteer Bureau the next day to tell them how polite and charming I was. :D
When did you change? LOL Only kidding! ;-)
bennyboy351

ANGELS15 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:09 pm
Some years ago I had a part time job in a bingo hall. One day after the saturday afternoon session had finished I was walking through the hall and noticed one of the regular old dears sitting at the back looking a little upset. It turned out she had won a line on a ticket and had been handed her prize (£10) in a prize envelope. She had placed it on the table with a lot of other used tickets and other rubbish. The cleaners had been going around clearing the rubbish off the tables. The old lady had lost her prize envelope. I suspected the cleaners had probably swept it off the table into a rubbish sack

I knew how much this win meant to the lady as she didn't win very often but always kept a cheerful demeanour. I asked her to hold on for a few minutes. I went outside to the back pulled the rubbish sacks out of the bin and rummaged through them. I found her prize envelope and brought it to her. She was overjoyed. Sadly she passed a away a few years later but I was glad that I had brought a little happiness to her that day.
Good for you!

We're all on that journey to - well, who knows what/where? But the fact that you made things better for her in those few minutes shows that you are a good person! :-)
ANGELS15

bennyboy351 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:37 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Good for you!

We're all on that journey to - well, who knows what/where? But the fact that you made things better for her in those few minutes shows that you are a good person! :-)
Thanks for the kind thought.
Emmson

This thread calls to mind one of my favourite statements ever, it is simultaneously lofty and realistic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:34 pm
Derek27 wrote:
When I was younger I had endless patience and used to work with severely disabled adults and children, but these days when I'm in a supermarket I feel like booting people out of my way. :lol:
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:52 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
When I was younger I had endless patience and used to work with severely disabled adults and children, but these days when I'm in a supermarket I feel like booting people out of my way. :lol:
Supermarkets have a way of making one feel like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:52 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:52 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:

Supermarkets have a way of making one feel like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
On a slightly more serious note, I once went into a supermarket feeling relaxed, laid back and not in any hurry. I got to the obligatory bottle-neck, stepped aside and allowed three people through. All three of them thanked me, two were young sexy girls and they gave me cute smiles to let me know that they appreciated my considerate behaviour. It lifted me for the rest of the day. :lol:

When I did Peter's psychology course on the BA Acadamy, he had a similar experience when he had the opportunity of grabbing the only taxi but instead shared it with others and made some good friends in the process. Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky as Peter and never got off with those two girls but my conclusion is that if you go into a busy supermarket feeling stressed you'll come out twice as stressed. Go in relaxed and you'll have a much happier experience. I've got the psychology right for trading; just need to apply it to supermarktets. :)
jamesg46

Gave 10 years of my life managing a company for an absolute arsehole, helping him to make millions in profit. The kindest thing I did for myself was lock the doors, post the keys and text him while he was in Italy at his daughters wedding anniversary to inform him I wouldn’t be opening his factory on Monday morning.

That day I gave up my house, a handsome salary and company car but I’ve never been happier.

That day, I also reconnected with my Mrs & kids after being a tenant in their life.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:08 pm
Gave 10 years of my life managing a company for an absolute arsehole, helping him to make millions in profit. The kindest thing I did for myself was lock the doors, post the keys and text him while he was in Italy at his daughters wedding anniversary to inform him I wouldn’t be opening his factory on Monday morning.

That day I gave up my house, a handsome salary and company car but I’ve never been happier.

That day, I also reconnected with my Mrs & kids after being a tenant in their life.
The question is, what's the nicest thing you've done for somebody else? I think the context of the question is, to help and with the intention of helping the other person and receiving satisfaction out of helping the arsehole, I mean, the other person. ;)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

The question is, what's the nicest thing you've done for somebody else? I think the context of the question is, to help and with the intention of helping the other person and receiving satisfaction out of helping the arsehole, I mean, the other person. ;)
I answered the question. That is the nicest thing I’ve done for somebody else. I gave them 10 years of my life.

I answered the question honestly, what you think the context of the question is, is irrelevant.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

I answered the question. That is the nicest thing I’ve done for somebody else. I gave them 10 years of my life.

I answered the question honestly, what you think the context of the question is, is irrelevant.
Fair enough. I take it you weren't paid for your ten years work and managed the company for free, or was it a mutual contract where you agreed to do the job for a salary and got paid for ten years work, but then decided the guy's an arsehole.

You say you "helped" him make millions in profit. Have you actually calculated how much you actually made for him and subtracted your wages from the total?

If that "arsehole" was a member of this forum he could post to this thread to say he gave a low-life a job for ten years, who thanked him by not opening his factory while he was in Italy at his daughter's wedding anniversary!

It's easy to say you've given somebody ten years of your life and forget what you've got in return, like your salary x10!

Return to “Chill Out Area”