What’s the nicest thing you’ve done for someone else?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:52 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:52 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:34 pm

When did you change? LOL Only kidding! ;-)
When I was younger I had endless patience and used to work with severely disabled adults and children, but these days when I'm in a supermarket I feel like booting people out of my way. :lol:
Supermarkets have a way of making one feel like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
On a slightly more serious note, I once went into a supermarket feeling relaxed, laid back and not in any hurry. I got to the obligatory bottle-neck, stepped aside and allowed three people through. All three of them thanked me, two were young sexy girls and they gave me cute smiles to let me know that they appreciated my considerate behaviour. It lifted me for the rest of the day. :lol:

When I did Peter's psychology course on the BA Acadamy, he had a similar experience when he had the opportunity of grabbing the only taxi but instead shared it with others and made some good friends in the process. Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky as Peter and never got off with those two girls but my conclusion is that if you go into a busy supermarket feeling stressed you'll come out twice as stressed. Go in relaxed and you'll have a much happier experience. I've got the psychology right for trading; just need to apply it to supermarktets. :)
jamesg46

Gave 10 years of my life managing a company for an absolute arsehole, helping him to make millions in profit. The kindest thing I did for myself was lock the doors, post the keys and text him while he was in Italy at his daughters wedding anniversary to inform him I wouldn’t be opening his factory on Monday morning.

That day I gave up my house, a handsome salary and company car but I’ve never been happier.

That day, I also reconnected with my Mrs & kids after being a tenant in their life.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:08 pm
Gave 10 years of my life managing a company for an absolute arsehole, helping him to make millions in profit. The kindest thing I did for myself was lock the doors, post the keys and text him while he was in Italy at his daughters wedding anniversary to inform him I wouldn’t be opening his factory on Monday morning.

That day I gave up my house, a handsome salary and company car but I’ve never been happier.

That day, I also reconnected with my Mrs & kids after being a tenant in their life.
The question is, what's the nicest thing you've done for somebody else? I think the context of the question is, to help and with the intention of helping the other person and receiving satisfaction out of helping the arsehole, I mean, the other person. ;)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

The question is, what's the nicest thing you've done for somebody else? I think the context of the question is, to help and with the intention of helping the other person and receiving satisfaction out of helping the arsehole, I mean, the other person. ;)
I answered the question. That is the nicest thing I’ve done for somebody else. I gave them 10 years of my life.

I answered the question honestly, what you think the context of the question is, is irrelevant.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

I answered the question. That is the nicest thing I’ve done for somebody else. I gave them 10 years of my life.

I answered the question honestly, what you think the context of the question is, is irrelevant.
Fair enough. I take it you weren't paid for your ten years work and managed the company for free, or was it a mutual contract where you agreed to do the job for a salary and got paid for ten years work, but then decided the guy's an arsehole.

You say you "helped" him make millions in profit. Have you actually calculated how much you actually made for him and subtracted your wages from the total?

If that "arsehole" was a member of this forum he could post to this thread to say he gave a low-life a job for ten years, who thanked him by not opening his factory while he was in Italy at his daughter's wedding anniversary!

It's easy to say you've given somebody ten years of your life and forget what you've got in return, like your salary x10!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:03 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Fair enough. I take it you weren't paid for your ten years work and managed the company for free, or was it a mutual contract where you agreed to do the job for a salary and got paid for ten years work, but then decided the guy's an arsehole.

You say you "helped" him make millions in profit. Have you actually calculated how much you actually made for him and subtracted your wages from the total?

If that "arsehole" was a member of this forum he could post to this thread to say he gave a low-life a job for ten years, who thanked him by not opening his factory while he was in Italy at his daughter's wedding anniversary - it was a mutual contract James.
Why would you “take it” that I wasn’t paid? I thought “handsome salary” clearly defined I was.

I felt back then that I was doing something good, every drop of energy I spent, I did with enthusiasm & purpose. I did it with an open heart towards this guy. The guy wasn’t an arse directly to me, it was one of his employees, one of his employees daughter needed an emergency operation and he threatened to fire him if he chose to be by his daughters side rather than show up to work. Ironically In that moment he was by his daughters side celebrating…. I couldn’t stomach that, I authorised the leave for that Dad and then made my decision to leave.

Not only was I kind, but I was stupid to give a person like that my time. There were more occasions of similar selfishness but I never saw them because I too focused elsewhere.

I worked seven days a week for as many years as I can remember for this guy, I missed my kids first words, steps, day at school, meal, emotions, realisations etc, while all the time this guy caught them all with his family. My time spent, gave him that. I’m not so sure that was contractual.

I don’t think you’ve taken issue with my response to the question, but rather the person who responded.
Trader Pat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm
I don’t think you’ve taken issue with my response to the question, but rather the person who responded.
If you look back at this thread you'll find people have posted kind things they've done with no intention of getting anything in return. That is what distinguishes your post from the others - not the name James!

You didn't give your life to this arsehole for ten years. He paid you a handsome salary which you happily accepted for ten years. Obviously you fell out with him eventually but surely working for somebody who's paying you a handsome salary can't be the kindest thing you've ever done for somebody, or is it? :lol: :lol:
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 am
jamesg46 wrote:
If you look back at this thread you'll find people have posted kind things they've done with no intention of getting anything in return. That is what distinguishes your post from the others - not the name James!

You didn't give your life to this arsehole for ten years. He paid you a handsome salary which you happily accepted for ten years. Obviously you fell out with him eventually but surely working for somebody who's paying you a handsome salary can't be the kindest thing you've ever done for somebody, or is it? :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I believe it is because of what I gave up to do it. My kids first words, day at school…. As I mentioned already.

Anyway, we’re hijacking the thread with our back and forth. That was the kindest thing I’ve done for somebody “imo” regardless if you like it or not!.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Yeah, I believe it is because of what I gave up to do it. My kids first words, day at school…. As I mentioned already.

Anyway, we’re hijacking the thread with our back and forth. That was the kindest thing I’ve done for somebody “imo” regardless if you like it or not!.
The question in the title of this thread refers to the kindest thing you've done for somebody ELSE, not yourself!

You gave up your kid's first words, day at school, etc, for a "handsome salary". Ten years later you regretted it, but on day one, your first day at work, you weren't there because you were trying to kindly make your boss a multi-millionaire. You were there to get your handsome salary - what you gave up for it is irrelevant. Don't kid yourself James, you were doing it for yourself, not for anyone else.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:28 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

The question in the title of this thread refers to the kindest thing you've done for somebody ELSE, not yourself!

You gave up your kid's first words, day at school, etc, for a "handsome salary". Ten years later you regretted it, but on day one, your first day at work, you weren't there because you were trying to kindly make your boss a multi-millionaire. You were there to get your handsome salary - what you gave up for it is irrelevant. Don't kid yourself James, you were doing it for yourself, not for anyone else.
Well, Derek I think everybody goes to work with the agenda of getting paid, they probably want to do a good job too, but the point is “realisation”. (That was kind & stupid of me). I realised that I gave up so much for so little. Can you put a price on your kids first words, day at school, emotion…. No you can’t, you don’t have any so I wouldn’t expect you to understand it.

If I referenced a cat maybe you’d understand but I hate cats so I’ve never had one. Anyway, sweet dreams, we’ve hijacked this enough.
Trader Pat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:55 am
When somebody gets ignored the first time, but is desperate enough to post again!.

They clearly missed the point.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:42 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:28 am
jamesg46 wrote:

Well, Derek I think everybody goes to work with the agenda of getting paid, they probably want to do a good job too, but the point is “realisation”. (That was kind & stupid of me). I realised that I gave up so much for so little. Can you put a price on your kids first words, day at school, emotion…. No you can’t, you don’t have any so I wouldn’t expect you to understand it.

If I referenced a cat maybe you’d understand but I hate cats so I’ve never had one. Anyway, sweet dreams, we’ve hijacked this enough.
I fully understand what you're saying. I may not have kids but I've worked with them and babysat them and didn't give them cat food to eat!

I appreciate what a loss it must be to miss your kid's first words and day at school and you have my genuine sympathy for that. I'm just saying it was your decision to take the job, a gamble that didn't pay off, you did for yourself, not to help your ex-boss make millions so you can't brand it as something you've done for someone else.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:55 am
:lol:

Return to “Chill Out Area”