What’s the nicest thing you’ve done for someone else?

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:34 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:29 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:21 am

I get that it was my decision Derek, but in hindsight any decision could be kind, cruel, self inflicted… whatever. The decision I made back then was mine & I did it for reasons I thought were right, in hindsight what I gave was kind. I don’t think in anything I’ve said I’ve tried to portray anything other than that, if I did it wasn’t intended. Happy we got to this point, please for the love of our and the forums sanity let’s leave it here.

Anyway (again), WE’RE hijacking the thread.
James, can I just ask you out of interest and without intending to hijack the thread, what is the nicest thing you've done for someone else?
Answered a question with a lie.

I once gave my position in the queue at a supermarket up.

I thought I was being kind but what was really going on was there was some young woman who I thought would pay me attention, in my own perverted mind I thought there may have been a chance that they would have got with me. I was wrong, but at least I felt good about myself for being perverted for a whole day.
So you can't think of anything nice you've done for someone else in your entire lifetime, but you feel not sinking to the depths of feeling good about two young and beautiful girls smiling at you, is something you've got going for you. :roll:
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:15 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:29 am

James, can I just ask you out of interest and without intending to hijack the thread, what is the nicest thing you've done for someone else?

I thought I was being kind but what was really going on was there was some young woman who I thought would pay me attention, in my own perverted mind I thought there may have been a chance that they would have got with me. I was wrong, but at least I felt good about myself for being perverted for a whole day.
So you can't think of anything nice you've done for someone else in your entire lifetime, but you feel not sinking to the depths of feeling good about two young and beautiful girls smiling at you, is something you've got going for you. :roll:
I’ve done so many nice things… genuinely though, I don’t track them for point scoring purposes.

My previous reply was just making a point that anyone can make a meal out of anything somebody else says. Like you have with what I said. I’ve tried to end our conversation multiple times but you keep on pushing me for more, at this point we’ve flat out ruined the thread by doing what we always do…. Go round in circles until anything relative to the original topic is no longer part of our conversation.

I didn’t start the conversation between us, you approached me but this time I’m honestly saying that I won’t reply anymore.

I hope our comments get moved and the thread has some resemblance of it’s original purpose later today.

Good night Derek.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:29 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:15 am
jamesg46 wrote:

I’ve done so many nice things… genuinely though, I don’t track them for point scoring purposes.

My previous reply was just making a point that anyone can make a meal out of anything somebody else says. Like you have with what I said. I’ve tried to end our conversation multiple times but you keep on pushing me for more, at this point we’ve flat out ruined the thread by doing what we always do…. Go round in circles until anything relative to the original topic is no longer part of our conversation.

I didn’t start the conversation between us, you approached me but this time I’m honestly saying that I won’t reply anymore.

I hope our comments get moved and the thread has some resemblance of it’s original purpose later today.

Good night Derek.
I was just asking if there's anything nice you've ever done for anyone else, which is after all, the title of this thread. If there are so many things you've done that you can't remember a single one (a line I've heard countless times before :lol: ), just say so.

And don't kid yourself James. Having a bash at someone and then saying "hey, let's end the conversation and make peace", is in no way an attempt to end a conversation.

You often use the line "I didn't start the conversation". What you need to understand, and this is something that every forumite with a bit of intelligence understands, is that every post is potentially starting a conversation!

If you really want to identify the start of a conversation, I would define it as when the subject is completely changed, for example:

viewtopic.php?p=285826#p285826

James, just be nice to people and people will be nice to you. It's quite ironic that somebody starts a thread about being nice to people and the best you can do is post your grudge against your former boss!
jamesg46

Put a breakpoint at my first post and F8 through the thread. Everything looks ok there. Put a breakpoint here and F8 through the thread. Nope, no good. I just can’t close that For Derek loop.
Kai

Lads you had one job :lol:

Kai

Emmson wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:42 pm
This thread calls to mind one of my favourite statements ever, it is simultaneously lofty and realistic.

😇 👍

sniffer66

Does, marrying them count ?
jamesg46

Kai wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:25 am
Lads you had one job :lol:

😂
greenmark

Recently. Boxing Day. Big Issue seller outside Co-op. No cash. Drove back with a tenner and walked away before he completed his fumbling for the change. Win, win. :-)
I do the RAOK whenever an opportunity occurs. Usually after watching an Ad for help for the likes of Yemen et al. I'm a soft touch, but proud of it.
Euler

I've always held this philosophy that I'd like to leave world in a better shape that which I joined it. That doesn't mean that I achieve something amazing, just make a difference somehow.

It's worrying how little people can take account of other people's feelings and views nowadays. Most problems are caused by people not being able to see another view. Even if you disagree with someone, their view is probably valid within the scaffold of their life experience. It doesn't mean either of you are right or wrong, just that you have reached your viewpoint through a different journey and view the world through a different lens.

Anyhow, I've done lots of little nice things throughout my life, but don't really think much about it. Probably the most dramatic was watching a woman faint on a train station and fall onto the tracks. I instinctlely jumped on the tracks to pull her back onto the platform. But I don't think that is necessarily being 'nice', just instinct.

In the context of Exchanges, I did a favour for my mentor, who encouraged me to leave my normal career to pursue my passion.

I asked him to open a Betfair account so I couldn't test something. Without him knowing I traded that account for him and when he retired I just gave him the contents of the account and told him to enjoy it. Again I wouldn't classify this as nice. Just wanted to give him some reward outside of friendship for helping me make one of best decisions of my life.
JasBarrow

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:11 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:55 am
:lol:
:lol:

This sums up JamesG46 perfectly! Good one!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Realrocknrolla

Euler wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:50 pm
I've always held this philosophy that I'd like to leave world in a better shape that which I joined it. That doesn't mean that I achieve something amazing, just make a difference somehow.

It's worrying how little people can take account of other people's feelings and views nowadays. Most problems are caused by people not being able to see another view. Even if you disagree with someone, their view is probably valid within the scaffold of their life experience. It doesn't mean either of you are right or wrong, just that you have reached your viewpoint through a different journey and view the world through a different lens.

Anyhow, I've done lots of little nice things throughout my life, but don't really think much about it. Probably the most dramatic was watching a woman faint on a train station and fall onto the tracks. I instinctlely jumped on the tracks to pull her back onto the platform. But I don't think that is necessarily being 'nice', just instinct.

In the context of Exchanges, I did a favour for my mentor, who encouraged me to leave my normal career to pursue my passion.

I asked him to open a Betfair account so I couldn't test something. Without him knowing I traded that account for him and when he retired I just gave him the contents of the account and told him to enjoy it. Again I wouldn't classify this as nice. Just wanted to give him some reward outside of friendship for helping me make one of best decisions of my life.
Just emailed my log in details for you mate, best buddy best pal.

😉
PapaShango

During the first lockdown, I did a random act of kindness. I gave away 9 of my Andrex supreme quilt toilet rolls.

To be fair to the lady who took them, she never asked. And actually seemed quite proud of her resourcefulness when she announced that she had been using kitchen roll instead. Though with visions of the baboon enclosure at the zoo, I insisted that she had a packet of mine.

Pretty nice of me I thought. Especially as I had just opened my last 54 pack and only had 3 other 16 packs, and two more packets of 9 left in reserve.
Kai

sniffer66 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 am
Yes. Underrated comment :D
sniffer66

Kai wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:51 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 am
Yes. Underrated comment :D