Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archangel

Selmer wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Does it really matter whether it`s Kiev or Kyiv? One is Russian transliteration, the other one is Ukrainian. Since 90% of Kiev population are native Russian speakers and even one of the airports in the city is abbreviated as IEV, I always say Kiev.

I`m not saying the concept of the USSR is good, I`m saying Crimea and Donbass people are happy to be a part of Russia, so why not leave them alone?

Maybe Ukraine also needs to get rid of Zelenskiy as there is no democracy or human rights at the moment.
"Kiev" versus "Kyiv": The difference might seem small, but language plays a significant role in cultural identity and national sovereignty. Using "Kyiv", the Ukrainian transliteration, signifies respect for Ukraine's sovereignty and the right of the Ukrainian people to determine their own identity, independent of Russian influence. Even if a substantial percentage of the population are Russian-speaking, Ukraine as a nation has chosen to promote the Ukrainian language as a symbol of their identity.

Regarding the situation in Crimea and Donbass: While there may indeed be people in Crimea and Donbass who are happy to be a part of Russia, there are also many who are not. The annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014 and the ongoing conflict in the Donbass region have been internationally controversial and deemed illegal by a significant portion of the international community. The principle of territorial integrity, a cornerstone of international law, argues against any unilateral changes of borders.

Zelenskiy was democratically elected in 2019, winning over 70% of the vote in a run-off.
Selmer

greenmark wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:59 pm
Selmer wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:55 pm

It's Kyiv.

I know British folk with Urkainian roots and they hate the concept of the USSR with a fury. That's why their relatives left.
I don't hate Russians. That's just dumb.
Ukraine won't get access to the West without democracy and human rights. The lack of the latter is why Russia was refused access to NATO and the lack the the former is why Russia will never be part of the UN/NATO/EU until Russians get rid of Putin.
Does it really matter whether it`s Kiev or Kyiv? One is Russian transliteration, the other one is Ukrainian. Since 90% of Kiev population are native Russian speakers and even one of the airports in the city is abbreviated as IEV, I always say Kiev.

I`m not saying the concept of the USSR is good, I`m saying Crimea and Donbass people are happy to be a part of Russia, so why not leave them alone?

Maybe Ukraine also needs to get rid of Zelenskiy as there is no democracy or human rights at the moment.
"I`m saying Crimea and Donbass people are happy to be a part of Russia, so why not leave them alone?"

Ukraine in it's current form was created by Russia. Why does Putin believe he can take back tracts of land?
Why did the populations of Crimea and Donbas not integrate with Ukraine?

This is like pre-WW1 stupid posturing.
How long do we have to fight over borders? It's just cretinous.
Eastern regions of Ukraine are very different in terms of language, traditions and historical figures compared to the Western part of the country. I grew up in Donetsk and the only place I could hear someone speak Ukrainian was at school during the Ukrainian language and literature classes. Once those traditions and differences were respected, Crimea and Donbass were integrated quite well until the military coup in 2014.

The solution was simple: acknowledge and respect the differences, and Putin would not stand a chance to take advantage of the situation.
Selmer

Archangel wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:13 pm
Selmer wrote:

"Kiev" versus "Kyiv": The difference might seem small, but language plays a significant role in cultural identity and national sovereignty. Using "Kyiv", the Ukrainian transliteration, signifies respect for Ukraine's sovereignty and the right of the Ukrainian people to determine their own identity, independent of Russian influence. Even if a substantial percentage of the population are Russian-speaking, Ukraine as a nation has chosen to promote the Ukrainian language as a symbol of their identity.

Regarding the situation in Crimea and Donbass: While there may indeed be people in Crimea and Donbass who are happy to be a part of Russia, there are also many who are not. The annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014 and the ongoing conflict in the Donbass region have been internationally controversial and deemed illegal by a significant portion of the international community. The principle of territorial integrity, a cornerstone of international law, argues against any unilateral changes of borders.

Zelenskiy was democratically elected in 2019, winning over 70% of the vote in a run-off.
Ukraine as a nation has chosen it or a group of nationalists who seized the power? It`s not a substantial percentage that are Russian-speaking, it`s more than a half of the population (obviously, now it`s less). You cannot just cancel decades of Russian influence like that. Motivate people to start using Ukrainian in their everyday life instead of punishing them for not using it.

Most of those 70% voted not for Zelenskiy but against the former president Poroshenko. Moreover, Zelenskiy did not fulfill any of his promises from his election campaign. By the way, one of the promises was respecting the right of the people from the Eastern regions to use Russian language and honour their traditions.
Archery1969

Selmer wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:21 pm
Archangel wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:13 pm
Selmer wrote:

Ukraine as a nation has chosen it or a group of nationalists who seized the power? It`s not a substantial percentage that are Russian-speaking, it`s more than a half of the population (obviously, now it`s less). You cannot just cancel decades of Russian influence like that. Motivate people to start using Ukrainian in their everyday life instead of punishing them for not using it.

Most of those 70% voted not for Zelenskiy but against the former president Poroshenko. Moreover, Zelenskiy did not fulfill any of his promises from his election campaign. By the way, one of the promises was respecting the right of the people from the Eastern regions to use Russian language and honour their traditions.
The West and NATO are against Putin, his administration and any person in the Russian armed forces who support him.
Archangel

If these numbers are even remotely accurate it looks abysmal for Russia. After 15 months of a war that was supposed to be over in ten days according to them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archery1969

Two more B1 bombers arrive at RAF Fairfod 3 days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRgMpJInwjs

This brings the total in the UK to four and 16 overall arriving in Europe over the past two months.

Am i being sinister or do we need to stock up on tin foil ?

:o
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:20 pm
If these numbers are even remotely accurate it looks abysmal for Russia. After 15 months of a war that was supposed to be over in ten days according to them
It's all abysmal for Russia. And I don't mean if Ukraine can sweep Russia out of their territory or NATO wading in, which I don't think will happen. It's the degradation of Russia as a nation in terms of it's integrity.
Putin has created a legacy that is the reverse of what it seems he intended
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 am

This brings the total in the UK to four and 16 overall arriving in Europe over the past two months.

You're talking about an unwinnable war. If it happens we as a species deserve it. The concept of a nuclear exchange is beyond stupidity.
You of all must accept that you fight with some notion of a valuable prize. There's no valuable prize with nuclear war.
This is MAD. Sad that we need such a sword of damacles to keep us in check.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:58 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 am

You're talking about an unwinnable war. If it happens we as a species deserve it. The concept of a nuclear exchange is beyond stupidity.
You of all must accept that you fight with some notion of a valuable prize. There's no valuable prize with nuclear war.
This is MAD. Sad that we need such a sword of damacles to keep us in check.
I presume it’s just a precaution and show of strength as Ukraine is about to launch their counter offensive. Although nobody really knows how Putin may react if he loses anymore equipment and personnel etc
Archangel

Russian state media calling for unpaid 6th day of work to fund Ukraine invasion, Western intel says

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian ... ?r=US&IR=T

I wonder if there will come a point where the average Russian gets tired of this and we see large anti-war protests in Russia
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:03 pm
Russian state media calling for unpaid 6th day of work to fund Ukraine invasion, Western intel says

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian ... ?r=US&IR=T

I wonder if there will come a point where the average Russian gets tired of this and we see large anti-war protests in Russia
How do you think that would go down here? Work a day more - for no pay - to kill people that don't threaten you?

I don't want Russia to collpase into disarray. But how does it navigate from dictatorship to freedom. That's a very, very bumpy road. Putin's legacy is looking worse by the day. It could have all been so different. What a mess.
Archery1969

I thought Ukraine made an agreement that they wouldn’t attack Russian territory ?
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:15 am
I thought Ukraine made an agreement that they wouldn’t attack Russian territory ?
They got the best of both worlds. On the one hand they deny responsibility but on the other they say they're "pleased". :)
Derek27

The drones came from the west and targeted a wealthy region/suburb of Moscow where government officials and Putin himself lives when he's in Moscow!

Bet he didn't sleep well last night. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:09 pm
The drones came from the west and targeted a wealthy region/suburb of Moscow where government officials and Putin himself lives when he's in Moscow!

Bet he didn't sleep well last night. :lol:
Probably hiding in the basement underneath 100000 nappies.

Return to “Chill Out Area”