Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:09 pm
greenmark, I don't know if you're writing now, but I have to go, I'll answer tomorrow.
No problem. I wish you well.
Archery1969

If its not Russia then its going to be China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62340814

Get ya bunkers, tin hats and bako foil at the ready.

:)
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:44 am

You think China would take on one the most advanced nations with the 2nd largest (by numbers) nuclear arsenal? Get a grip!
China may be lots of things, but pragmatism is high on their agenda. Many in the world would benefit if their governments had the same view.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

You think China would take on one the most advanced nations with the 2nd largest (by numbers) nuclear arsenal? Get a grip!
China may be lots of things, but pragmatism is high on their agenda. Many in the world would benefit if their governments had the same view.
Yes, I do think they would, Biden is a very weak president. There are allot of threats coming out of China stating they will shoot down Jets protecting Nancy Pelosi if she visits Taiwan. They also know they have an allie in Russia if the shit were to hit the fan. Both countries have hypersonic missiles which the USA does not as far as I am aware.

Me thinks there are very dark times ahead.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:01 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Yes, I do think they would, Biden is a very weak president. There are allot of threats coming out of China stating they will shoot down Jets protecting Nancy Pelosi if she visits Taiwan. They also know they have an allie in Russia if the shit were to hit the fan. Both countries have hypersonic missiles which the USA does not as far as I am aware.

Me thinks there are very dark times ahead.
You have a very dark view of life. Biden is the incumbent for a few years. China know this full well. Don't forget they control a billion people. 330 million is peanuts by comparison. Yet they have no desire for a massive nuclear arsenal. Who would you rather align yourself with?
Archery1969

This guy is obviously more knowledgeable and cleverer than me. Even he thinks we now closer to a Nuclear mistake than ever before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-62381425

:o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:42 pm
This guy is obviously more knowledgeable and cleverer than me. Even he thinks we now closer to a Nuclear mistake than ever before.

That's been the case over the last few decades. We've even come close to one in 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Sovi ... d%20States.
Derek27

Truss intends to scrap the junk food tax. With McDonald's already putting up their prices the riots on the street would be far worse than the poll tax riots if the tax went ahead. :D
Derek27

The ship leaving Odesa is loaded with two commodities, corn and hope.

I initially heard that as corn and oats. :lol:
napshnap

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:42 pm

"Today, some 13,000 nuclear weapons are thought to remain in service in the arsenals of the nine nuclear-armed states - far lower than the estimated 60,000 stockpiled during the peak of the mid-1980s."

That's inspiring. But there is still a lot of work ahead.
Dallas

I'm surprised there hasn't been more news coverage (or any really) on the growing tensions between Serbia and Kosovo - that could provide a serious flash point and escalate East-West tensions even further and faster

Its been de-escalated for the moment but looked touch and go for a while over the weekend until Kosovo agreed to delay new rules on ID's and licence plates which were due to come into effect and be applicable to everyone in Kosovo - but Serbia and Serb nationals living in Kosovo refused to recognise them

and NATO have said they are prepared intervene if Kosovo came under attack from Serbia who are a friendly ally of Russia
greenmark

Dallas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:32 pm
I'm surprised there hasn't been more news coverage (or any really) on the growing tensions between Serbia and Kosovo - that could provide a serious flash point and escalate East-West tensions even further and faster

Its been de-escalated for the moment but looked touch and go for a while over the weekend until Kosovo agreed to delay new rules on ID's and licence plates which were due to come into effect and be applicable to everyone in Kosovo - but Serbia and Serb nationals living in Kosovo refused to recognise them

and NATO have said they are prepared intervene if Kosovo came under attack from Serbia who are a friendly ally of Russia
That had certainly passed under my radar. Very worrying. The Balkan states have been squabbling for yonks. I naively thought Bosnia was the end of it.
This is naive too, but why can't folks just let borders lie were they are and get on with life and each other? Ah well, c'est la vie!
Derek27

Dallas wrote:

I have Sky News on in the background in the evenings but was completely oblivious to that!

As I've been reading about post-Roman Briton when there were seven nutters ruling seven kingdoms and waging war as though it's a pub brawl, I think to myself, the world hasn't really got any better since the dark ages. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:29 pm
Dallas wrote:

I have Sky News on in the background in the evenings but was completely oblivious to that!

As I've been reading about post-Roman Briton when there were seven nutters ruling seven kingdoms and waging war as though it's a pub brawl, I think to myself, the world hasn't really got any better since the dark ages. :lol:
Except democracy wiped out the feudal system. And life is a whole lot better as a result.
There are people that try to establish fiefdoms but the beauty of democratic capitalism is it makes that quite difficult and they withdraw into their lairs.
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:09 pm
Dallas wrote:

That had certainly passed under my radar. Very worrying. The Balkan states have been squabbling for yonks. I naively thought Bosnia was the end of it.
This is naive too, but why can't folks just let borders lie were they are and get on with life and each other? Ah well, c'est la vie!
I believe it's not about borders over there, it's about cultural differences and political assholes who parasitizes mess and escalate violating those differences. And not only local ones (politicians).

Return to “Chill Out Area”