Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:01 pm
napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Russia's bordering the west, why doesn't Russia demilitarize? Putin is the only one who either threatens or invades.
Because there is militarized Russia or no Russia at all.
Possibly the saddest statement on here I've read. I'm so sorry you feel that way. Nato is not a threat to Russia.
Well, it's obviously not a hippie world we live in. I personally tired of this human civilizations d1k swinging, I want us to the Space... to d1k swing with some aliens for distant planets and stars!
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:08 pm
greenmark wrote:
napshnap wrote:

Because there is militarized Russia or no Russia at all.
Possibly the saddest statement on here I've read. I'm so sorry you feel that way. Nato is not a threat to Russia.
Well, it's obviously not a hippie world we live in.
Hippie?
The suggestion that military might is a sensible solution to our (and I mean OUR) global problems is comic.
Let's rewind several months.
Ukraine invades Russia. Do you really believe NATO would have supported that?
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:14 pm
napshnap wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Hippie?
The suggestion that military might is a sensible solution to our (and I mean OUR) global problems is comic.
"The suggestion that military might..."

That's a necessary evil (and some huge huge feeder for war priests).

"Let's rewind several months."

In that "sterile" circumstances you gave maybe not. But it's not how it usually starts, there is always some part that feels (or/and declares) itself vulnerable (in this real case there were DNR and LNR). In your scenario it could be some Kursk People's Republic which should be helped and in this case I believe nato would have supported unofficially.
Derek27

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:06 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:02 pm
napshnap wrote:

Because in this world of "hungry jackals" there is militarized Russia or no Russia at all.
The only country that wouldn't exist if it wasn't militarized is Ukraine, Putin would have just walked in.
Why didn't he "just walked in" in 2014? It was way way easy back then (their main force was kaput, they fought with sticks and shovels and the world didn't care what those crazy slavs do to each other), but he didn't (and he was heavily criticised for that by some circles).
This time he tried (and failed) to take Kyiv. If Ukraine didn't have a military it would be part of Russia by now.
napshnap

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:57 pm
napshnap wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:02 pm

The only country that wouldn't exist if it wasn't militarized is Ukraine, Putin would have just walked in.
Why didn't he "just walked in" in 2014? It was way way easy back then (their main force was kaput, they fought with sticks and shovels and the world didn't care what those crazy slavs do to each other), but he didn't (and he was heavily criticised for that by some circles).
This time he tried (and failed) to take Kyiv. If Ukraine didn't have a military it would be part of Russia by now.
More likely that elections would have been held with pro-Russia candidates and maybe in some very very distant future it would join some union with Russia. Russia would not act so clumsily in this situation, no need to hurry unlike it was with Crimea.
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:31 pm
greenmark wrote:
napshnap wrote:

Hippie?

In that "sterile" circumstances you gave maybe not. But it's not how it usually starts, there is always some part that feels (or/and declares) itself vulnerable (in this real case there were DNR and LNR). In your scenario it could be some Kursk People's Republic which should be helped and in this case I believe nato would have supported unofficially.
OK. You are 100% in favour of the DONBAS as Russian satellite state?
So why Crimea, why obliteraration of the Black Sea coastline?
Why bomb Odesa after signing an agreement not to do so?
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:21 pm
napshnap wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Hippie?

"OK. You are 100% in favour of the DONBAS as Russian satellite state?"

Hmm... If they think that their representation in the Ukrainian state was lost, that they are pro-Russian and prefer the Russian language and suffer for their disagreement with the imposed by force policy of the Ukrainian state - then welcome to the big family!

"So why Crimea, why obliteraration of the Black Sea coastline?"

Sorry, I don't get it, can you rephrase?

"Why bomb Odesa after signing an agreement not to do so?"

I don't know, but that caught my eye to, I've read about the agreement and next day I read about strike to military objects. Maybe these were very important military objects, I don't know. I can only speculate that it makes sense to move or deploy something important secretly hoping that this new agreement will cover this up. It seems they (ua) miscalculated.
Derek27

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:57 pm
napshnap wrote:

More likely that elections would have been held with pro-Russia candidates and maybe in some very very distant future it would join some union with Russia. Russia would not act so clumsily in this situation, no need to hurry unlike it was with Crimea.
Taking charge of a country by force and having elections is the same as taking over a country.
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:21 pm
napshnap wrote:

"OK. You are 100% in favour of the DONBAS as Russian satellite state?"

Hmm... If they think that their representation in the Ukrainian state was lost, that they are pro-Russian and prefer the Russian language and suffer for their disagreement with the imposed by force policy of the Ukrainian state - then welcome to the big family!

"Why bomb Odesa after signing an agreement not to do so?"

I don't know, but that caught my eye to, I've read about the agreement and next day I read about strike to military objects. Maybe these were very important military objects, I don't know. I can only speculate that it makes sense to move or deploy something important secretly hoping that this new agreement will cover this up. It seems they (ua) miscalculated.

============

One word - Mariupol. Total destruction as a means to an end. To join the south of Ukraine to Russia and Crimea and block support to Ukraine from the Black Sea.
Strategically it makes sense, but it's a level of brutality Europe hasn't seen since Bosnia.
Russian's should be ashamed to be a part of it.
napshnap

Can't agree more on that, greenmark. Despite russian forces tried to limit damage as much as possible - warfare is a warfare. I could argue about nato's tactics in such situations, but I won't in respect to the dead civilians.
Seeing those lifeless burnt buildings still standing there against the blue sky and thinking that these ruined flats belong to someone who maybe dead is a heartbreaking (and frightening - you won't understand, but it has this "domestic effect" cause I can look out of my window and I'll see almost the same buildings, architecture. It can't be put into words, you have to feel it), but life is slowly coming back to Mariupol. There are vids on yt, just daylife routine without comments, how they rebuild back what been taken from them (and I'm talking not only about material side of it). These vids are very (you know it's not easy to find right word), very very healing (don't be lazy to search them), they restore the faith in humanity which was voilated by the horrors of war. It's like the life wins back. I heard there are a lot of volunteers and workers from Russia who helps them to rebuilt btw.
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:39 pm
Can't agree more on that, greenmark. Despite russian forces tried to limit damage as much as possible - warfare is a warfare. I could argue about nato's tactics in such situations, but I won't in respect to the dead civilians.
Seeing those lifeless burnt buildings still standing there against the blue sky and thinking that these ruined flats belong to someone who maybe dead is a heartbreaking (and frightening - you won't understand, but it has this "domestic effect" cause I can look out of my window and I'll see almost the same buildings, architecture. It can't be put into words, you have to feel it), but life is slowly coming back to Mariupol. There are vids on yt, just daylife rutine without comments, how they rebuild back what been taken from them (and I'm talking not only about material side of it). These vids are very (you know it's not easy to find right word), very very healing (don't be lazy to search them), they restore the faith in humanity which was voilated by the horrors of war. It's like the life wins back. I heard there are a lot of volunteers and workers from Russia who helps them to rebuilt btw.
OK you're totally behind Putin. I think he's a thug. I can't se how you think total destruction, then rebuilding is a clever approach. It's plainly flipping stupid and indescribably wasteful of human life. Both at an individual level of each human slaughtered, but also in terms of the cost of lives built over decades and generations just cast to the wind as if they are irrelevent compared to the arrognance of your current leader.
napshnap

I don't know what you want from me, I'm not competent to make such decisions. I'm not, you know, the Narrator from "Fight Club" making decision what will be better to the company: to call off defected cars, save lifes and take a huge loss, or give it a green light, get people killed and pay some fines. I don't want to even try to "calculate" such stuff and I don't have a fckn "magic tv-remote" to backwind everything back!
I don't even like those "calculators", in the Watchmen I was on a Rorschach side.
Derek27

napshnap wrote:
Despite russian forces tried to limit damage as much as possible...

...but life is slowly coming back to Mariupol. There are vids on yt, just daylife routine without comments, how they rebuild back what been taken from them (and I'm talking not only about material side of it).
You've obviously been watching Putin TV. His forces are indiscriminately bombing residential areas into submission, hospitals, children, women have been raped in front of their children, and there's zero attempt to limit any damage. They used the same tactics in Syria.

Life will never return to the dead, people who've lost parents/children, people who've been maimed, etc. Many of the missiles and artillery shells used are unguided and they don't seem to care where they land. It's pure butchery by Putin.
napshnap

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 pm
napshnap wrote:
Despite russian forces tried to limit damage as much as possible...

...but life is slowly coming back to Mariupol. There are vids on yt, just daylife routine without comments, how they rebuild back what been taken from them (and I'm talking not only about material side of it).
You've obviously been watching Putin TV. His forces are indiscriminately bombing residential areas into submission, hospitals, children, women have been raped in front of their children, and there's zero attempt to limit any damage. They used the same tactics in Syria.

Life will never return to the dead, people who've lost parents/children, people who've been maimed, etc. Many of the missiles and artillery shells used are unguided and they don't seem to care where they land. It's pure butchery by Putin.
Derek, 1) I don't know what's Putin TV, I watch only yt. 2) ANY propoganda (being it the state's, or YOUR'S) usually obvious and doesn't work on me. It bounces off me like a Hunter B prostitutes.
napshnap

greenmark, I don't know if you're writing now, but I have to go, I'll answer tomorrow.

Return to “Chill Out Area”