Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archery1969

Archangel wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Quite embarassing for the Russian army this war. They came into it as the supposed 'second best army in the world'. Now their badly trained and ill disciplined troops are running from the battlefield in many cases....
Obviously their not use to facing western firepower. Plus there about to face even longer range weapons which will cut off and isolate many troops. With no ammo, medical and food supplies will see even more desert their positions. It’s very surprising that Russia had 1,200 fighter jets but hardly any have been used since March 2022.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:43 pm
Archangel wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Quite embarassing for the Russian army this war. They came into it as the supposed 'second best army in the world'. Now their badly trained and ill disciplined troops are running from the battlefield in many cases....
Obviously their not use to facing western firepower. Plus there about to face even longer range weapons which will cut off and isolate many troops. With no ammo, medical and food supplies will see even more desert their positions. It’s very surprising that Russia had 1,200 fighter jets but hardly any have been used since March 2022.
I think the Russian soldiers just don't believe they are doing the right thing. They're being sacrificed on the sword of Putin's ego and they know it. I can't use the use the word I think best describes Putin on this forum.
IMO he's a warmonger, a hypocrite, a liar and has dragged Russia (a proud nation IMO) down into the lower levels of international prestige.
Archangel

Archery1969 wrote:

. It’s very surprising that Russia had 1,200 fighter jets but hardly any have been used since March 2022.
Yes I would have thought they could have made more effective use of their airforce. I thought modern warfare was all about control of the skies
Archery1969

Archangel wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:40 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

. It’s very surprising that Russia had 1,200 fighter jets but hardly any have been used since March 2022.
Yes I would have thought they could have made more effective use of their airforce. I thought modern warfare was all about control of the skies
Giving Ukraine the Star Streak II & III hand held anti aircraft missiles was a game changer. Once they lock-on at Mach 3 & 4 then they can’t be jammed and dropping flares like most aircraft does is ignored by the missiles. One Russian pilot who deserted told the BBC that they didn’t want to fly over Ukraine because of them being used by Ukraine forces. In the first 2 weeks of the war Russia lost allot of fighter jets and attack helicopters.
Archangel

greenmark wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:59 pm

I think the Russian soldiers just don't believe they are doing the right thing. They're being sacrificed on the sword of Putin's ego and they know it. I can't use the use the word I think best describes Putin on this forum.
IMO he's a warmonger, a hypocrite, a liar and has dragged Russia (a proud nation IMO) down into the lower levels of international prestige.
Its probably impossible to imagine what its like living in a totalitarian state, where the government control the media and most people only hear one point of view. Perhaps younger Russians are more aware of whats going on in the wider world, but they speak out against the regime at their peril. And unfortunately these states exist even in 2023.
alexmr2

Archangel wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:58 pm
greenmark wrote:

Its probably impossible to imagine what its like living in a totalitarian state, where the government control the media and most people only hear one point of view.
Britain would never act totalitarian e.g.stopping people going outside, opening their business or from seeing family and friends.

The UK Government would never control the media only allowing one narrative and censoring/demonising anyone that speaks against it.

They would also never warmonger by pumping weapons into another country whilst pumping out constant one-sided propaganda to prolong a war.
Archery1969

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:42 pm
Archangel wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Its probably impossible to imagine what its like living in a totalitarian state, where the government control the media and most people only hear one point of view.
Britain would never act totalitarian e.g.stopping people going outside, opening their business or from seeing family and friends.

The UK Government would never control the media only allowing one narrative and censoring/demonising anyone that speaks against it.

They would also never warmonger by pumping weapons into another country whilst pumping out constant one-sided propaganda to prolong a war.
Kermit the frog is back.
Archangel

alexmr2 wrote:

If you are attempting to compare Britain to Putins Russia you may have been out in the sun too long
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:25 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Archangel wrote:

Kermit the frog is back.
I should have learned by now to ensure I'm not swallowing a mouthful of tea when reading a post on here. I nearly choked reading that one liner. :lol:
napshnap

alexmr2 wrote:
Archangel wrote:
greenmark wrote:

"Also, they never ever gonna restrict bettors and introduce humiliating nanny state affordability checks" - Fozzie Bear.
Last edited by napshnap on Mon May 22, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
napshnap

Archangel wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Its probably impossible to imagine what its like living in a totalitarian state, where the government control the media and most people only hear one point of view. Perhaps younger Russians are more aware of whats going on in the wider world, but they speak out against the regime at their peril. And unfortunately these states exist even in 2023.
It's not a problem in the age of internet, youtube and etc. If it gets unbearable there's always an option to move temporarily to some neighbouring country. Some folks did.
Archangel

Seen a few videos of Ukranians using drones to drop grenades on Russian trenches. As far as I can tell they are using ordinary retail drones, modified to carry a grenade! very effective by the look
napshnap

Archangel wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:34 pm
Seen a few videos of Ukranians using drones to drop grenades on Russian trenches. As far as I can tell they are using ordinary retail drones, modified to carry a grenade! very effective by the look
Hate those snuff films, the side doesn't matter. Reminds me the notorious one with journalists in Iraq being shot from helicopter.
Hate how they nonchalantly casualy show it on tv.
sniffer66

napshnap wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:54 pm
Archangel wrote:
Hate those snuff films, the side doesn't matter. Reminds me the notorious one with journalists in Iraq being shot from helicopter.
I think the one that affected me most was the British soldiers who accidentally drove into the IRA funeral, a good while ago but it was harrowing to watch. And worse for that you didn't get to see how they were killed
Archery1969

sniffer66 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:01 pm
napshnap wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:54 pm
Archangel wrote:
I think the one that affected me most was the British soldiers who accidentally drove into the IRA funeral, a good while ago but it was harrowing to watch. And worse for that you didn't get to see how they were killed
That day I was 19 and part of a six man squad in the helicopter above. We had SLR’s, a GPMG and around 1200 rounds between us. During the course of 20 minutes we asked 8 times to engage but every one of those requests was denied.

The two soldiers in question each had a browning semi-auto pistol with 13 rounds each. They were following someone, realised they took a wrong turn and panicked.

After several weeks we were told that engaging would have caused a number of deaths, casualties and caused an even bigger enquiry as to what they were actually doing and following.

I am aware how they died.

There were 7 directly involved in their killing, none of which are alive to this day. The last one passed after leaving a bar, Roscommon 1997. Apparently he was hit by a car crossing the road. The driver was never traced. The others died before, 2 by loyalist gunmen and the other 4 were found dead in the back of a lorry in Galway.

Karma.

Return to “Chill Out Area”